New blog - emotionalism

We’ve got a new blog out today all about Emotionalism.

https://www.mystrokeguide.com/blog/2022-02-17/understanding-and-managing-emotionalism-after-your-stroke

Do you have any tips on managing emotionalism?

1 Like

I would certainly be the 1st person to put my hand up in understanding & right now suffering from these mood swings . My Gp/psychiatrist calls it Clinical depression . I find myself getting very angry which only exasperates my tremor/mobile agility & tires me out quickly … yes I’ve read been told of the steps I need to take in order for myself to obtain more self awareness of what’s triggering these sometimes awful mood swings … I’m on a course of Sertraline & zopiclone . .
Maybe I’m to critical about myself which doesn’t help in managing or even coming to terms with this depression a lot I am told is to do with the stroke/loss … . Granted it was a TIA stroke I had but still I feel robbed leaving me with a lot less because of it … I’m aware how offensive I can be verbally toward friends & right now seem always on the defence about all & everything … . Explained to me as a defence mechanism & understandable why I may be like that right now … I even feel just typing this txt that so many people on this site will understand fully what I’m conveying here … can a leopard change its spots.:flushed: this is the dilemma I find myself in since having this stroke . Yes there are ways to combat these mood swings & I’m very well aware of what needs to change regarding my attitude/acceptance. That’s if I’m honest is a very difficult obstacle to jump over right now . It’s like trying to convert an agnostic into becoming a Christian . We all have different make up that makes us who we are as an individual some able to tolerate/change other’s needing a helping hand I’m certainly in the later category …

2 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing this @Jordan. I think describing these strong emotions as a defense mechanism is really interesting. A great way for friends and family to start to understand why a stroke survivor may be responding in an unexpected way.

Thank you again for sharing.

@Jordan hi I feel your emotions too. I get exactly what you are saying. I think it’s also frustration for me. I’m a lot slower doing everything and even talking which I sense I annoy my family or even people I talk to. I’ve started to try and think and say “your to quick slow down” to people. When they are trying to hurry me, If they don’t like it I take a deep breath in and as I exhale, under the table I give them my middle finger :fu: :joy_cat::joy_cat::joy_cat:. I know it’s inappropriate but I laugh at myself as I got caught once by my daughter she couldn’t believe it. I told her why I do it and she’s started to see things a bit better for me. Hope I haven’t gone off on a tangent. Thanks :blush: Loraine

3 Likes

@Jordan @AshleyTH and @Loshy I understand how you all feel about emotionalism.

When it happened to me after the stroke it came to me in the form of tears. Lots and lots of them. My father didn’t understand why I kept crying and compared my ischemic stroke to a knee injury :pensive:

The consultant neurologist who he asked had no response for him, nor but the neurologist tell my father about other behavioural changes that would occur as a result of the stroke.

I had to find out myself through the Stroke Association resources last year. That’s when I had a :bulb:moment and thought, what’s why sometimes when I’m arguing with my partner who is my carer I alternate between crying and laughing.

2 Likes