Never give up

So. October 28th, 2018.  Won't ever forget that date, that was the stroke. In hospital, could slide my arm up and down the bed (ish) but literally a wrinkle in the sheet stopped me. I was a regular gym goer, non smoker, you know the drill, life turned upside down.

And then the hospital says what you don't get back in 8 weeks, you're going to struggle with. Well I got out because my "good" side was so strong it supported me. But 8 weeks, and no, I wasn't right.

9 months, and the physio sessions got stopped, because apparently I had got as far as they could take me. Struggled to lift a pint glass if it was full, couldn't walk right, etc. etc.

So I hit the gym again. A year on, I could sometimes lift 1kg overhead, but not elegant, too many compensating mechanisms with that shoulder. 

Another 3 months, I was up to 2.  

Nothing changed/improved for ages. Then 3 months ago, something changed. I struggled with spasticity - please don't call it high tone, it is what it is. But if I pushed through it, the strength was returning. I feel like the strength was the cause, I couldn't control the strong muscles.

Last week, I bench pressed 45kg. I still struggle overhead but am stronger there now, but please, don't ever stop. You never know when that moment will come for you. I never expected it, I gave up almost when the physios said that's it. So glad I didn't stop.

Still walk funny, but hey, I can work on that next, plenty of time. Oh and I have my 60th birthday in a couple of weeks, so not too bad for an old guy :)

Stay strong. Stay positive. We're all different but the brain is an amazing thing, it just needs time and retraining. And a bit of luck.

I believe that most of us will get recovery for a minimum two years. And longer than that if we need it.

i have improved for well over three years. And i know of others who exceed this time scale.

in a nutshell...exactly what you say,never give up.

colin

Great to hear you are still on the mend. We can all do it. To whatever degree. 

Well said. A lot of recovery depends on the individual. My main stroke came on March 26, 2016..a date I will never forget. I was on holiday, thought myself fit and then.......

it took me a good two years to get walking again and attending exercise classes. I built up a high degree of confidence, only to have a second mild stroke this May. However, this knocked confidence more than anything. I am back walking, exercise to a Joe Wicks programme for seniors and I am back cooking again. I can still hoover, do a bit of ironing and clean the toilets.

I am nearly 77 but won't give up trying to get more recovery. You really do have to stick at it, no matter how much effort you have to put in.

Good on you John. It's hard to explain to people who haven't experienced it. But the joy of achieving literally anything that was lost is so good!

Even cleaning toilets!!!

For me it was peeling a potato. Daft. But an achievement at the time.

Yes, peeling a potato again was a great joy. Daft, isn't it?

Definitely not daft. You just don't appreciate the joy of the "mundane". Until it is taken away from you!!!

MY stroke was June 2yrs ago woke at 6am got up found right leg a bit numb,made a  cuppa stood looking at sunny garden.,then went back to bed.I had no pain got up 1030 got washed dressed but my leg still numb.Phoned garage told them I would collect car next day.Stillfelt strange GP could see me late after oon.Phoned daughter in Sheffield and she was here within an hour took one look at my leg andwalking told me to sit for ambulance.I still denied I was having a stroke.I have always been active independent 85years old playing table tennis twice weekly. Gardening and travelling the world .I had to change my life  around teach my right hand  arm andleg to work again but joined Pals for physiotherapy and local history group Gave up driving and spend insurance on taxis This has stopped because ofCovid and I nowhave back trouble and walking badly with a stick It is hard and have days of wondering if its worth trying but soon get into more positive mood.I use this device e and Pc seem to be  on phone and even use Zoom do volunteering and have learnt that there are always some folk worse off and thankful for all the help and kindness I have received.So keep trying ,if an old lady can manage to achieve some progress,look after the daily chores and stay sane You Too can hope and try your best.

Dear Sonia P

thank you for cheering me up. I am having one of .

" those" days and getting annoyed that not much of my body works today.and just this odd wednesday will soon go away.

the realistic view is that i am having many good days.

please can i be like you when i reach 85

bestvwishes

Colij

Sonia, what an inspiring post! Thank you for cheering me up too (and I haven't even had a Stroke - just a wife toddling along with a husband who has)! ?

Good evening,

Thank you so very very much for giving me hope. My husband has had a stroke 16 months ago, and is not walking yet, but, what you said made me feel hopeful that his brain will jump start when it is time for it.

Physios said he would not recover too, NHS ones anyway.

Thank you a million, for making my heart and soul feel at peace now.

Hi Colin,

Your allowed a wonky Wednesday.

Good luck that you get back being Colin soon. 

Be strong and stay safe 

Kay 

Thank you Kay. In the early years of stroke recovery, it was good days/ bad days. My stroke recovery is pretty good now. And to get a bad day was a bit of a surprise. It was an exceptionally bad day. I hadnt slept fully for two nights and that explains a lot. Sleep is so important for me. Thursday morning and things are much improved. I slept well last night. I will now do today what was planned for Wednesday.

Bes wishes

Colin

Go for it sir!

Glad I have brightened your day, keep trying to keep a sense of humour despite those frustrating days where nothing seems to work.You are allowed to have a good cry on a bad day only to dry your eyes get up and try again. I do not feel 87yrs mentally and surprised when reminded every April so cannot tell you a magic formula but give you hope .X

Here's hoping he gets his "miracle" soon too. Main thing is keep at it, no matter what you are doing your brain is making connections all the time. And one day those little connections add up to the big connection.

Family support is important too, my support has been great, and I can't thank them enough. Hope you have family to help you support your husband through this. And importantly, to support you too. 

And whilst NHS is great, the physios can't be there forever, the hard thing was the way you get "dumped", it is quite brutal to be written off without even a guide to keep at it. That one they could work on to improve expectations for people.