Neuropathic Pain & Feeling Cold

Amitriptyline is an older tricyclic antidepressant used also for other conditions including insomnia. I was offered it to treat nerve pain but found out of my own accord that it contraindicated with my other meds. My partner used to occasionally take it as a sleeping aid until we found out it takes quite a few weeks to enter the system and so she had been using it purely as a placebo :joy:

I have taken Pregabalin which is similar to Gabapentim, both used to primarily treat epilepsy and neuropathic pain. I had a bad reaction to Pregabalin which, I was informed by a hospital doctor who took me off it, is actually classified a C controlled substance in the UK.

1 Like

I was on amiltryptapine but after my stroke it was taken off me. I now take gabapentin and paracetamol

My husband is 6 weeks post stroke and over the last few days has struggled to control his body temperature. His body can be really clammy as he feels so hot and shortly afterwards he has one very cold foot and his body is cold to touch. I appreciate all of your comments as I feel reassured that this is likely to be because of his stroke. Thanks everyone.

Hi
When people have had a stroke they struggle to control their body temperature. Generally feel cold all the time but then next boiling hot. I have felt cold since I had mine and ant bit of movement I am boiling. I can see me needing lots of jumpers in the winter :grinning:

1 Like

My wife experiences the extremes of feeling cold and hot, with cold being the more common sensation. She bundles under several blankets while the home temperature is maintained at 72 Deg F. A resulting problem is that she often experiences a severe rash in her groin area and under her breasts from the heat generated. We have used common body powder or medicated body powder or medicated salve - depending on the severity of the event - with reasonable success. This problem appears to me to be akin to โ€œdiaper rashโ€ but without a permanent solution. At night she normally sleeps without underpants or pajamas and this does help, even though she still uses two or more blankets. We drop the bedroom temperature to 68 deg F at night as a concession to my comfort.

My husband had similar problems and was prescribed canesten as it coud be a fungal infection. Since using this it has cleared up for the moment. Maybe worth a try. I think you can get it over the counter as well as by prescription. He also has days of feeling very cold despite the room being 22C.