Neck Ultrasound

Hi All. My mum had her Neck Ultrasound today. I was just wondering if anyone had had one and what the follow up it?. Do results get delivered at the hospital or by GP? & what was the follow up if they weren’t normal … thanks in advance all.

4 Likes

Hi @Holliebear80

If you are referring to cardioid artery scans then yes, I’ve had two.
one in the few days after my stroke and the other about a year later.

On the second one I was told at the end of the scan that I was about 85% clear, that guidelines did not indicate taking any action at that level and that official confirmation would be sent to my GP - who then never contacted me about it.

I don’t think I would trust, but would hope that if I hadn’t been told in the clinic or if in the clinic the scanner showed further interventions were necessary that the GP would have followed up so I think if you or your mum don’t have closure on this investigation then definitely follow through

AFAIK If the cartioids are restricted there is surgery to clear them out. Unless they are very very clogged and then I believe the situation is it’s too dangerous for surgery - I don’t know more I think you’d need somebody medically trained to answer more specific questions

Ciao
Simon

4 Likes

Hi Simon. Hope you’re well. So glad you hear yours were all good & thank you for getting back to me. I’m such a control freak & sadly I couldn’t attend this appointment with my mum but equally I didnt want to cross examine her. She said they didn’t say anything. Just the results would be past on to the DR. It’s all a bit confusing to me though cos I was under the impression the ultrasound was to be done within 48 hours of her TIA but this hasn’t been the case, it was done this morning which is almost 4 weeks after her TIA. Now granted her TIA symptoms lasted only 22hours & she fully recovered without any issues, she’s been super lucky but I still thought it was within the first 48 hours. She also never had an MRI, Just a CT & she said she wasn’t sure if the radiologist said she had one coming up but we have had no appointment or told about this so I started flapping a little bit. I work for NHS but Strokes aren’t my scope of knowledge. I’m maternity based but I’m also not working at min, I’m looking after my mum so this forum has been a godsend to me. I can’t thank you enough. It’s been such a blessing that I’ve been able to ask questions on here and see how others are getting on feeling. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate it.

3 Likes

@Holliebear80 Hi, Derek in USA here. I get an ultra-sound on my neck/right carotid
Every 6 months. It is 65% blocked…so, it is out of the danger zone, but needs watching.
The man that does the test usually tells me the result that day and I get a follow up phone call the next day.
Best of luck, Derek

3 Likes

I guess you’ll know from the inside then that the statements "we will get back to you " are elastic due to resource constraints and triaging the most urgent in need .

I would guess The ultrasoundist - I seem to recall mine didn’t call herself a radiologist - would very definitely raise a call to action if a red flag had been detected - but I would still suggest asking the GP :slight_smile:

I’m glad you’ve found the community to be a valuable source of support. That support is given by the members who donate their time and care in a completely informal way

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi Derek. Good to hear from you. I hope you’re well. Thank you for replying. I think I’m just overthinking everything at the min.

2 Likes

I will give them a ring tomorrow I think. Thank you Simon. I think I’m just overthinking absolutely everything at the min. I think it’s human instinct to always fear the worst possible thing.

2 Likes

Sounds like A wee spot of PTSD to my UNtrained ear

Maybe also Ask the GP for advice on anti-anxiety therapies:) ?

3 Likes

I’ve wondered the same thing. Thank you Simon. I really appreciate the reply/help/advice.

2 Likes

@Holliebear80 i got my results the same day 10 mins after being done. I wasn’t hospitalised. I had that along with CT scan which confirmed my stroke. That was almost a month ago. Supposed to have an MRI and heart tracing but haven’t heard anything yet. I haven’t had a follow up appointment and only saw a stroke nurse.

Steve

3 Likes

@Holliebear80 i had a carotid scan around 2 weeks after my stroke. They told me at the time all was ok although an MRI taken the next day suggested otherwise.

The results will usually be sent to the person who requested the scan.

2 Likes

Hi Steve, thank you for your reply. Hope you’re doing ok.
It’s been almost 4 week & my mum has only just had her Ultrasound on her neck. She’s got appointments for an Echocardiogram & a 48hr monitor & then an appointment for the Stroke Nurse by telephone all next month. No MRI … well not as yet. It’s not been mentioned so I’m not sure what’s happening with that. I’d say chase them up if I was you. Sometimes patients can get lost through the cracks so may be worth a phone call.

2 Likes

Thank you for your Reply Mrs5K. It’s appreciated. I hope you’re doing ok.

I’m not even sure to be truthful who ordered the ultrasound. She was in the Emergency department of our local hospital but then transferred to a neighbouring one for the night & treatment but the ultrasound appointment was with our local hospital. Can I ask & feel free to tell me to mind my own business, but was your MRI booked previous to you attending the appointment for your Ultrasound or as a result of it?.
My mum hasn’t had a MRI & I’m it’s not even been mentioned so I’m trying to just take in as much info as possible.

1 Like

@Holliebear80 I don’t mind sharing my experience if it helps others. When i had my stroke I had a CT scan whicb confirmed a stroke. I was then admitted to hospital where I had an MRI scan done. This confirmed a carotid artery dissection. I was then discharged a few days later with no further follow up scans scheduled. A week later i was back in A&E having got a lot worse. They did another CT but said no new stroke but because i had severe balance issues etc they readmitted me to hospital. Whilst i was in the 2nd time they decided to do the carotid artery scan. They told me at this stage nothing wrong with my carotid artery…a week earlier it was dissected :thinking: there were no plans for another MRI until the consultant came to the ward saw me trying to walk to the bathroom and decided they needed to do another MRI. This was done the same day (one day after the carotid scan) and it showed a dissected carotid artery.

In answer to your questio n i suppose it was ordered after the carotid but even though I had a dissection i would have had neither had i not been readmitted to hospital.

I would chase up an MRI and if you’re not sure who ordered the scan speak to your GP who should be able to advise.

Best wishes

Ann

2 Likes

Morning Ann, thank you for your reply. I really appreciate that. I hope you’re on the mend and recovered/recovering well.

Kate

3 Likes

Hi Ann @Mrs5K
Your journey through early admissions and what you recount yet again highlights how random the application of technologies and expertise seems to be in the stroke field .

The national Stroke guidelines and indeed just the basics of proceduralized medical care ought to remove some of these vagrances.

I wonder if the variety of stories we have shouldn’t be the impetus for the stroke association suggesting that campaigns to improve service delivery awareness and implement service improvement activities?

On an entirely a separate note I went to my GP’s physio nurse yesterday to investigate whether my left arm was heading down the frozen shoulder route. She was fairly certain it wasn’t and the exercise she gave me to both test and guard against was to tuck the elbow in close to my side and then swing my hand out from my body - she could manage about 80° and so could I.

She suggested doing it in the shower and sliding both hands up the shower door/ wall and holding for 30 seconds as regular antifrozen shoulder actions - of course any wall would do :slight_smile: The idea of every time you go to the bathroom struck me as a good way of building into the daily routines :slight_smile:

I mention it only because of the slim chance of you not having heard it and it being helpful :slight_smile:
Ciao
Simon

2 Likes

@Holliebear80 I had a duplex ultrasound scan while in hospital following my stroke. I was told by the consultant that my stroke was caused by stenosis of the right carotid artery. The stroke unit signed me off after nearly 3 weeks then I had to attend the vascular surgery assessment clinic
They performed another ultrasound to confirm the earlier one and told me the stenosis was in the region of 50-70% and offered me surgery, which I accepted. So I went back into hospital for a Right Carotid Endarterectomy. It’s preventative, which is to say that it does not help your recovery but it should prevent another stroke occurring. The surgery was successful and next day I spoke to the surgeon on the ward who told me he had actually removed two large blockages from the artery. The surgery is not without risk but the risks are smaller than not having the operation.

3 Likes

Hi holliebear80, I had an ultrasound sound on my cartroid artary after my stroke then six months later, I saw the consultant straight after who said it was 100%blocked and has remained so. They said it was too risky to operate as I was able to walk and talk. It had taken my sight half of each eye but they said it was too risky so I hav to trust that. I hope the scan goes well and you get to speak to someone about the results. Take care x

3 Likes

Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate it. Hope you’re doing ok now & on the road to recovery.

1 Like

Hi Elle1, thank you for your reply. Hope you’re doing ok.
There was nothing said to my mum other than they’d pass the results on to the Doc. She seems to think now she’s thought about it that he said he would pass the scans on to the DR to be assessed with all the other results from tests she’s had. I’m not sure if to take that as a good sign or not. I would assume if there was a problem she would have been told.
I fully admit I’m a massive control freak but all the not knowing just stresses me. This forum has been a god send. It’s nice to connect with people and hear everyone’s stories. Thank you again for your reply. It’s really appreciated.

3 Likes