My Wife's recovery

Thank you for your replies to my post. I have just come back from my daily visit to the hospital feeling very low, as she is having a terrible day - but it follows a great day yesterday, so it is a bit up and down. I really do appreciate this kind of support.

Oh I am sorry to hear this, I remember the up and down days when my wife was in hospital. It’s difficult to watch when your wife is having a bad time of it. I was only allowed to visit my wife twice a week but fortunately after she regained her speech and felt more up to it we were able to talk on the phone every day. I’m sure they have told you that there will be good days and bad days but things get a bit easier as time goes on. As Mahoney suggests it is good if you can talk to friends and relatives about it all. I was very fortunate that my relatives and friends were incredibly supportive throughout her stay in hospital. This forum played a bit part too.
Best wishes to you and your wife.
Chris

1 Like

Two weeks on from my first post. My wife is making progress. Her speech is gradually returning (have to say the therapists at the hospital are doing a great job) and she looks well and has more energy. Feeling and movement to the right side of her face has recovered but nothing really yet to her arm, hand, leg or foot. She gets the odd twinge every now and again and says she can feel a little when I do any massage or exercise to those limbs (I also cut her toenails a few days ago and she said she could definitely feel that). Edging towards a discharge to home soon. Equipment arriving within a few days and the package of care provision being sorted out. So, slowly onwards and upwards.

2 Likes

Apologies for the slowness of my reply Chris. The time just seems to evaporate. I am pleased to hear that there has been some improvement in your wife’s condition. I found a similar thing with my wife but in time she began to move again after the physios said that they had low expectations of her ever being able to move her left side. Not only can she move her left side but it is all getting stronger as time goes on. My wife is keen to do the exercises they have given her and it is making a tremendous difference over time. I hope you will see similar improvement in you wife over the weeks ahead. It does sound very encouraging.

We have moved on from the intensive physio visits that we had after she came home and now a different team are calling less often. They are very good and they give her great encouragement. She has moved on from a frame to a three wheeled rollator and recently tried a quad stick. It won’t be long before she is using that exclusively. As Mahoney says, being home will lift her mood and she will benefit from the help the physios can give her I am sure.

Best wishes to you both