My stroke

Hi i had my stroke the day before my birthday 13 th January this year. I know im incredibly lucky but i find myself sometimes getting cross with myself

5 Likes

@Veggiepatch welcome to the forum. I’m sure you’ll find lots of support & advice here.

Not the best birthday present for you. Hope you’re recovering ok.

It’s not unusual for emotions to be all over the place after a stroke. For some it’s tears, others anger. Try not to beat yourself up over things.

Wishing you all the best.

Ann

2 Likes

Bore da @Veggiepatch, hope you are having a relaxed Sunday and croeso. Adapting and adjusting takes time, and it is beneficial to be kind to yourself. :grinning:

2 Likes

@Veggiepatch can totally relate to you, last night I took this mornings tablets which were different and feel so frustrated even when they were in a tablet dispenser with am and pm clearly labelled. Feel such an eegit as we say in Ireland. Some days are better than others. Certainly can be a frustrating place to be. I hope things get better for you. I suppose we have high expectations of ourselves, thinking back to how we were pre-stroke. I don’t think it’s wrong to want to be better than we are now. But it takes time to accept this new version of ourselves, anything else is a bonus. Take care.

2 Likes

Yes it does take some time to adjust , in early months was told not to beat myself up but there were tears and tantrums, the Acceptance was the bitter pill to swallow but by taking it gently you’ll get there. You will find this forum great for advice to help you on the journey . Welcome.

3 Likes

My stroke was 1 year ago. since coming out of hospital I found a useful practice is keeping a log of what I can and can’t do on the day I go into the log, I go into this once or twice a month and it helps remind me of what progress I have made

4 Likes

Hi
Welcome to u too as well as @Veggiepatch

The log idea is a very good one especially if mood or med sides effects , fatigue and lots more possible things are hard

Veggie I think I read over the past 2yrs that those who do best after the trauma of a stroke are those who think positive, have a renew appreciation of life and what they and their circle are blessed with and focus on the best future after brief grieving too recognise the change

As others have said this is a good place to seek advice, to celebrate progress, rant, cry, laugh etc

1 Like

@davethebowler welcome to the forum. Hope you are getting on well after your stroke. I too keep a diary which is really useful to look back over & see how far i’ve come. It also helps pinpoint things that might have bought on my fatigue.

1 Like

Love this

Going to steal this for my own recovery.

Thanks very much @davethebowler

2 Likes

Thanks @Loshy

I’ll write up my own story tomorrow. Reading this from a rehab bed though and it’s all very helpful/motivating

3 Likes

I remember that in hospital I read some of the posts in the forum and was quite amused by all the posts about fatigue. Prior to my stroke most of the bowlers I knew (veterans) were always tired and most had a mid afternoon nap.
Now I understand there is a difference between fatigue and just being tired.

3 Likes

Hi thankyou all for your messages. I have been follwing the forum since the 15th January and seen what a friendly bunch of members you are. I am the proud owner of three allotments. Its thanks to my love of growing that i really have recovered quite well. I am still not back to before strofe “Anne” and then is so hard to deal with and then i think of others in hospital so much worse then myself… … arghh!!

2 Likes

Welcome @MortimerJazz
Steal (ideas) with pride and attribution :slight_smile: good luck on your journey with us

When your diary& experience tell you some conclusions share them here. Its good for all of us to get confirmations, breadth of experiences etc

1 Like

@davethebowler unless we’ve suffered real fatigue it is difficult to understand i think. I think we were all a bit blasé about it until we had our strokes. Mind it is a good reason to haveca snooze in the day :grin::grin:

1 Like

Read my diary today and remembered that in June I could inly move around the house using a Zimmer frame, and by the middle of June I could do this without any frame or crutches, because I could use the walls and furniture to aid my balance.
Today I can move around outside without a frame or stick but I like to use a stick as I feel more confident
I had forgotten how much I relied on the Zimmer frame in those first few weeks out of hospital

3 Likes

Great to hear your progress. Let’s us all know is possible

What does “the bowler” reference? Are you a cricket fan?

1 Like

Stroke diaries help put rebuilding in perspective. I look back on mine and think, gosh, at one point I could barely walk from one side of the room to the other without needing to rest. I recommend the stroke diary to help add up all those 1-2% improvements to celebrate the tallied amounts down the line.

1 Like

The bowler refers to crown green bowls which I hope to return to this year

2 Likes

Ahh I c

Mental images of Beryl Cook scenes

Always rather fancied that

Did/will you play competitively?

1 Like

I played very competitively up to 5 times a week, the season starts next Saturday and I still hope to play this year if I can

3 Likes