My stroke journey

Hello everyone 

I had my first stroke on the1st July 2019. A few weeks after my 70th birthday I was at home in the evening just watching tv with my husband. I didn’t feel anything unusual but my husband kept asking if I was okay. After this carried on for a few minutes he finally said I was having a stroke and was calling 999. I couldn’t believe it because I thought I was fine. The ambulance arrived quickly and 19 minutes after he had called them I was in accident and emergency and diagnosed with an Ischemic stroke. I stayed in the stroke ward for 10 days. I was very well cared for. I am very grateful to be a survivor. My recovery like everyone’s has been a long difficult road but I’m happy to say it’s going well. I went to an exercise and walking group today for the 1st time. I do have a few frustrations I have always enjoy crafting, knitting crocheting and cross stitch but because of the weakness on my left I am really struggling so my focus is on strengthening my left hand. Sorry if I have rambled on but it’s been nice to share with you. Take care and best wishes. Audrey

Hello Audrey and welcome.  Sorry to hear about your stroke but glad to hear your recovery is going well and well done on joining your exercise group. Exercise is so important to stop us ceasing up LOL! .

I also had the same stroke as you which affected my left side. My stroke started in my little finger going numb. This quickly ran up my left arm until it dropped down like a lead weight. By the time I got to hospital, my left leg had also 'gone'.

The good news is that my left arm and hand are pretty much back to normal. I still get a numb little finger now and then, usually when something light brushes against it.  I am 67 and 2 and a half years post stroke.  I was given some cocktail sticks and different shapes and sizes of small beads to pick up using only my left hand by the Occupational Therapist.  The other exercise the hospital told me to do was to touch each tip of the finger with the tip of your thumb as quickly as you can.  Constantly doing this when sat has brought my hand back to near normal. When my stroke hit, I couldn't hold a knife or wash myself and my hand didn't feel like mine especially when it came near my face. In the early days, I used to turn away from my hand when I was trying to wash as I felt it was going to hit me! A very weird feeling!

My biggest achievement was recently when I finally managed to peel potatoes!!  My husband has been on potato duty all this time bless.  I still struggle a bit buttering bread and cutting it. And don't get me started on those pesky individual butter portions which nearly always end up on my lap or the floor Aaarrggh!

As they say, practice makes perfect and persistence does pay off so I'm sure you will return to enjoying all your crafts. Take care.

Hello Audrey and welcome.  Sounds like you are doing well and I am sure little by little you will notice an improvement as time goes on.  I had mine last May and it is taking time but I am getting there.  Just keep on with what you are doing and I guess joining a walking group will help, I have three dogs so walking them has been very useful for me.

Joan

Dear Granma

Well just wow, havent you done well. Welcome to the forum.

I am in my early seventies and have had an eschemic stroke a few years ago. The recovery is indeed slow, but you are going very well. It is important that we do both the physical recovery and the cognitive recovery.

The physical side is easier becuase we can see and judge how that is progressing. Keep at it, smile, be positive then smile again. You will make lots of progress.

Lots of us are here and cheering you on

Best wishes

Colin

Hi Audrey - well done to your husband for being so observant and getting you such speedy attention, clever chap.  It's good to hear that you are making progress and with your positive attitude it sounds as though you will continue that progress and be able to enjoy all of your previous hobbies.  Take good care, best wishes to you both!!  ?

Hello Joan 

thank you for taking the time to reply. I’m glad to hear you’re progressing well too. I think the main thing is to try to keep positive and push yourself as much as possible but still listening to you body at the same time. Thanks for the tips on getting my left hand stronger. I will give them a try my physiotherapist gave me excercises to do with putty and I’m using it again  have a dog too and she loves her walks. Best wishes and look after yourself. Audrey 

Hi 

thanks for your reply. Yes I’m very thankful for my husbands observation. I don’t understand why I was so unaware of what was happening to me. Thank you too for your encouragement. I hope you are doing well. Best wishes and take care of yourself. Audrey 

Hi Colin

thanks for your kind words. I am quite proud of my achievements as I’m told it’s still early days(doesn’t feel like it to me). I agree with you that it’s important to Keep at it, be positive and especially smile.l hope you’re managing to do these too. Best wishes and take care. Audrey 

Hi thank you for your reply. I know what you mean I have the same problems sometimes they really frustrate me but I also manage to laugh at myself. It’s great to have helpful husbands. Best wishes and take care of yourself.Audrey.

Hello Audrey. Thank you for sharing your story. I too had a stroke in July (9th) 2019 at the age of 40. It has been a tough few months but like yourself, I am proud and grateful to be a survivor. Before my stroke I was never creative but took up craft - mainly knitting and macrame - the week after and have found it has aided my recovery. I wish you well on your continued journey. Keep your positive spirit and keep fighting and share your craft when you are back at it. Michelle

Dear Audrey

I just love your excellent attitude. It will help you along this long and arduous journey.

And thanks for the reminder, its too easy to forget the basics.

I reckon many of us have a bad time during the mid winter. I dont mind the cold at all, but I am always worst around now. I have even bought a light box, which seems to work for me.

Best wishes

Colin

Dear Michelle

Thats a very interesting point you make about taking up craft as a new venture. Over the years I have read about SS who suddenly become poets. Many SS are musicians. 

I have never had a pet in my house, but about 18months post stroke a stray cat decided to adopt us. I now love my cat so much and he gives me a reason to get up each day. It is also therapeutic when he sits by me and I can stroke him for a half hour. Not to mention the warmth from his amazing fur. Possibly the best thing is that he accepts me as I am and he doesnt mind that I have had a stroke.

Colin

Thank you Colin 

it has been fascinating how much my craft has helped me and almost like an addiction - I crave it. I think it's that sense of purpose (everyone got something homemade for their Christmas) and the sense of achievement at the end, seeing I can still be useful!!

what a lovely story regarding your cat. Animals can definitely sense what we need! I worked in a school with children who have additional support needs and we had a therapeutic dog that would come in and it was amazing to see the children so calm and flourish. We also took some horse riding and the difference in the children in the sessions was humbling. 

Although we have had a stroke, we are still worthy! And animals don't discriminate and know what we need. Hmmm maybe I need a pet!!

thanks for always being there for everyone in this group!!

m