My stroke - intoduction

Hello, I have just joined these forums.

1 Like

Welcome. Feel free to voice your concerns or just let off steam

Thankyou, it takes me a bit of time to co-ordinate things these days. My concentration is sometimes poor. I had ‘multiple small strokes’ diagnosed in 2018. This was after a long process starting in 2013 when I first recall having blackouts.

I have joined these forums with 2 aims:

• To share my story with others
  • To listen and learn how other people cope with life after strokes.

I will continue with a few more bits. I find shorter posts are easier otherwise I lose track.

One thing I find challenging is when I go out (supermarket trip is a good example) I have difficulty co-ordinating what I see happening in front of me. I get confused when people are moving in different directions. It can even make me dizzy. Sometimes I just freeze until the area in front of me clears. Sometimes people come to ask me if I am OK. I do my best to try to explain that it is my condition. I find that this helps.

1 Like

I just started wring here too, sunny. Stay engaged and take all the advice and sort out what works for you… These are great people here!

1 Like

Thankyou to those people that have responded. You have made me feel welcome. I am still finding my way about in these forums. I am sure that you will know that relatively simple tasks can take an awful lot longer these days.

I have copied a bit from what I posted earlier and this is it:

One thing I find challenging is when I go out (supermarket trip is a good example) I have difficulty co-ordinating what I see happening in front of me. I get confused when people are moving in different directions. It can even make me dizzy. Sometimes I just freeze until the area in front of me clears. Sometimes people come to ask me if I am OK. I do my best to try to explain that it is my condition. I find that this helps.

Can anyone relate to this?

1 Like

Shwmae @sunnyday, sorry to hear of your experiences. I have them too. I had multiple TIAs (six) and then a major cerebellar stroke, it has affected my vestibular-oculomotor reflexes, so my brain gets terribly confused with visual overload, especially movement and patterns. I do visual-tracking exercises to train my brain to focus more quickly instead of the delayed response it has at the moment. If overwhelmed, I can get giddy, nauseous, and unable to focus my eyes. Supermarkets are a main perpetrator because of all the visual stimulus and movement inside.

1 Like

Thankyou Loshy and Rups. Supermarkets do seem to be a challenge. If I am on my own I try to go at quieter times - this helps. It is all a learning experience.

I do have a badge. It is a sunflower lanyard with badge stating I have a hidden disability. The Tesco staff have been trained to recognise these badges and are helpful to me. If you Google Sunflower Lanyard it tells you about the scheme.

2 Likes

Hello Sunnyday. Welcome to the forum. I am sure you will find a lot of support from everyone as I have.Lilian

@sunnyday welcome to the forum. Hopefully you’ll find lots of useful advice on here as I have. I haven’t tried a supermarket shop yet. I’m still getting dizziness and thought it’d be too much at minute. Well done to you on going there it’s a big achievement.

1 Like

Welcome @sunnyday , I like your positive user name! As others have said I’m sure you will find lots of helpful advice from people who have had similar experiences.

I found supermarkets a problem in the early days after my stroke. As you said everything takes longer to process and it can be quite confusing.

I had a few panic attacks in supermarkets where I just desperately wanted to leave (I was with my wife so she just told me to wait outside).I think you are absolutely correct to try and go when it is quieter.

I actually developed quite bad anxiety a few months after my stroke and this was one of the early signs for me.

I think the best way to manage things that you find stressful is to break them down into small chunks. Try just popping in for a few bits and slowly build it up. This is infinitely better than avoidance (which is often the first thought).

I wish you all the best on your recovery journey and remember we are here whenever you need us.
Mark.

3 Likes

Welcome I’ve just started to use myself, I’m a little slow, just takes me longer, kind regards John

Hello John. Yes, I find things take time. I call it ‘Condition Management’. Plan a task then steadily get on with it. I get satisfaction upon successful completion of a task. Even if I have spent all day cleaning my bathroom then that gives me satisfaction. It keeps my mind occupied too!

2 Likes