My Mini

… I seem to talk constantly about my Mini . … I do hope I’ve downloaded this photo correctly … fingers crossed .
. It was only last week after a 15 months delay owing to backlog/Pandemic the Disabled bay was marked out & being the only blue badge holder on the street. The bay is never used apart from when I’m parking up . It’s only a 2 min wobble from my flat to bay & can see car from flat window …
I have this car from the Mobility scheme which I have rental of for 3 years with it being taxed/insured/ & all mechanical problems is on warranty . That leaves only the petrol which sadly isn’t free . Lucky indeed many of my friends say . Though I did have my own Mini Cooper S which I sold after having this TIA stroke thinking that I had already had word from the FAA/DVLA regarding the loss of my licences & went in2 melt down mode for months on end . It was my own GP who has a 43 year old son who had a brain injury after a bad car accident & he went for a Mobility scheme car . Like myself there were strength tests eye site test endless correspondence to DVLA & again with the pandemic there was a delay shortage of staff optician closures ect ect it was a nightmare then I was assessed in a 2 hr driving assessment with a driving school nominated by DVLA . thankfully it wasn’t back to basics pushing/pulling at the steering wheel & driving at 3;45 1:50 that was a blessing I would of failed had it been as strict .
Yes my car gives me my independence/freedom & still find myself make helicopter noises when in car alone :joy:
anyone thinking of going into this scheme I would be happy to give the in and outs of applying for said vehicle.

6 Likes

Thanks Loshy
Can’t wait for the Air-Shows to start up again this year after a 2 yr postponement & drive the length breadth of the country to attend them .
I’m like a 5 yr old waiting for Santa to come down the chimney :joy:

1 Like

Love your car but not able to drive a moment but hubby drives we have a ford ranger wild track hubby is now my personal chauffeur

1 Like

I’m the worlds worst backseat driver & b4 getting my licence back I was chauffeured around would invariably find myself… never quietly as an inner thought… “why did you do that” call yourself a driver” change gear “ ect aloud . many of my friends always found an excuse’s not to drive me … I wonder why :joy:

:red_car::+1:t6::red_car:

1 Like

Hi Jordan, looks great, Before stroke had various cars, disabled & refer to car as my wife’s now . To be honest never really did, or enjoyed the manly driving thing. Now realising, how I miss it . If I could travel, seaside would be , my choice. ENJOY IT . David.

Thanks David3
for the months after relenting all Licences owing to stroke I was devastated & missed being a driver though more my Helicopter pilots licence & my mood swings were during that time uncontrollable the loss was huge & felt my world had caved in .
So having this Mobility car has brought back a major part of me I thought I had lost though not without its difficulties .
Having this wonderful machine has in so many ways has given back my independence to an extent :red_car:

2 Likes

Hi Jordan, bit of advice please. Mobility scheme, as stated can’t drive now. Bought second hand scooter, rather unstable, possibly a mistake? Get pip Mobility, have become rather dependent on the money. I believe could get more suitable scooter on Mobility & they take payment from my pip . Thinking, instead of this, keep pip & buy scooter. Might be cheaper, in long run . Just wondered what your feelings are . Good speaking David.

Hi David3
A true petrol head I am though a scooter you mention I wouldn’t have a clue
Like yourself I too get P.I.P which pays for my car rental with an amount left that is given which I use for petrol/car washes for the month …
could I suggest if one of your family members could be the sole driver & with you using your P.I.P get onto the mobility scheme & get yourself a motor vehicle ( even a Mini).
Just a thought … :red_car::motor_scooter::red_car:

Thanks Jordan. David.

Shwmae @Jordan, I love the colour. Just a question, as I am not well-versed in car makes, is this mini bigger than the original mini?

Hi Rups
Yes when Bmw took over Austin mini it is a larger version of the original Mini
I hope this picture shows comparisons

1 Like

Yikes, the original is quite a bit more compact. Can they call the new mini a mini? I used to have a Nissan Micra, it was a tiny little bug of a car, just an engine really with a basic chassis.

Hi Rups
Having had both the Austin Mini & now the Bmw Mini … they are & agree entirely the old being much more compacted there still Mini’s & the new Bmw version swings it for me every time :+1:t6::red_car::red_car::+1:t6:

1 Like

Hi David you said scooter unstable don’t know what kind you had, I have one which is really good on most surfaces, maybe going and trying some first, would love to get mobility but at 70 don’t qualify for pip.

Hi Mick , got what people call The Robin Reliant of scooters, ie tends to topple over easily. Receive PIP, stroke 2.5 years ago, now 64 years old. I think, if receiving pension, might be entitled to something similar? Watched TV Kate Garway, Caring for Derek, (hubby ) Agree with her when help is needed, government could make it easier to understand, options. Hope you’re not struggling as much. Had to get myself up early today, 5.30am . Laying awake, am is no good for me. Tend to wallow in self pity. Get up & potter, keeps my mind busy, better. Good speaking David.

Wow! Lovely car. You can’t beat that feeling of independence when you go out driving on your own again can you. I was one PIP point off getting Motability, so had to buy my car, but the PIP money pays for insurance and petrol etc.

Hi Minnie
( what a wonderful name :red_car:) :smiley:
It has indeed brought me out of my shell in recent months having this wonderful
(Min-n>I<e .( see what I did there :+1:t6:) . It’s nice even though not getting enough points to get on the mobility scheme fully a blessing I’m sure getting enough PIPS that help with your insurance/petrol . What car model did you decide on buying do tell ?

I’ve got a Toyota Yaris. It’s a great little car. Very reliable and economical with the petrol. I couldn’t be without it.

Hi Minnie
small & economical is the Yaris like my mini …:red_car:
Just renewed my blue-badge On Monday as it takes up to 12 weeks to renew it for another 3 years … & delighted to receive a reply so quickly that me new blue-badge has been accepted & a £10 payment due before sending it out … . 12 weeks I was told by mobility people . All done in 2 days … .
Do you have a Blue Badge for your car Minnie it’s something I’m sure you qualify for being on PIPS .?
Happy Motoring :+1:t6::red_car::+1:t6:

Yes, I have a blue badge. It is a real Godsend. They always say the renewal process could take weeks but I always get my new one after about 2 weeks. My blue badge lets me park at the railway station for free. I visited a friend yesterday by train. Used my disabled persons railcard. The ticket was only £10.20 return (cheaper than paying the petrol). I’m really getting about now with the help of all these things. I just need to improve on my walking!

2 Likes