My Hobby is power wood carving

Hi Allan I’m good at giving advice but don’t practice what I preach. As I mentioned motivation is my main bugbear. Can potter, us gardeners are good at that. Chop kindling, saw logs,create not very appetising meals but very nutritious (?) But getting stuck into other more challenging tasks very difficult. Still coming to terms with realising the old me is not coming over the horizon. For periods I think I’ve cracked it, then reality kicks down door. Colleague at stroke support group said that was her main stumbling block. She thought a good recovery was getting back to normal. Once she realised and accepted its all change now , she said her moods lifted and her healing continued and she was in a much better place. So I mustn’t be so impatient. Still early days yet Best wishes Pds

Hi Pds

I’d never thought of it that way but you are right, my old self is never going to come up and shake my hand, my left side will have to get on with it. One problem, not a problem but a hill I need to climb is my wife of 50yrs, she is blind and I am her carer, she doesn’t like me out of her eyesight (limited though it is) it worries her, at the moment I cannot drive I want to but convincing her will be a difficulty. We went shopping at our Tesco superstore I walked too far and have spent two days completely knackered. She will take some convincing but I am going to start by cleaning out my workshop bit by bit hopefully to convince her I can be trusted on my own. Then I can resume making some Christmas presents just like Santa’s little helpers. Hopefully raising my morale a lot and stop feeling sorry for myself. Thanks for your comments all the best and “LIVE LONG AND PROSPER” Allan

Blockquote

1 Like

Allan, Had a few minutes browsing on what was going on in the forum and enjoyed catching up with your mail. I had a look through your information and cant find your age! How about letting us in n the secret?
Weather here in NZ still very warm although cooler mornings warn of impending autumn
Deigh

Ps don’t tell anyone it’s a secret, I’m 75years young still hale and hearty despite of being tripped up by my third stroke. Just had a mid-week break to Chester left me completely knackered slept 4 hours this afternoon. The weather outside is awfull, I would let you listen but with 70mph wind I’m sure you can imagine the howl. Three storms in a couple of weeks makes me happy that the boss and I have retired. I’m hoping that spring will be here soon and we can enjoy ourselves in the wide wonderful world​:man_with_probing_cane::star_struck: take care, keep well and thanks for your reply

1 Like

Thought you might like this!
Deigh

1 Like

I do, I do. I find that things CAN always come in use, I like a clutter but find the stuff I want is hiding behind the stuff I should have thrown away. Thanks for giving me a laugh Allan!

Thx for that Deigh,brought a huge smile to my face and viewed it when I smugly came in from garage having discarded a bucketful of treasures. Farmer in my stroke support group said he could not get motivated to sort his barns out so ordered a skip took a deep breath and threw it all away. As my older sister would say “it’s not important let it all go. Since being stroked I see the wisdom of what she said . Hope I have the courage of my farmer friend. Pds

Hi Deigh-- What an excellent thing to post! We need to see life on the lighter side. Brightened my day!!! Also reminded me to clean out my closet! :upside_down_face: Jeanne

Cartoon came from a local magazine called ‘The Shed’ Their articles and cartoons are excellent. Here is another one since you all appreciated the last one…

Deigh

All I can say is Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha !!! Keep them coming!! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Hello All. Being quite new to using this forum, I’m not sure if this reply will be seen by everyone on this thread/topic. I hope it will because I find everyone’s anecdotes, experience and advice so helpful. I very much empathise with many of the contributors here because I am in the process of converting my double garage into a combined workshop and photographic studio - hopefully this will work!
You would think that achieving this would be motivation enough but I keep putting it off. I shall certainly try the ‘small step at a time’ approach, as advocated by a few of you. One of the things I am having to accept is that I will need the help of others for some tasks that would have been child’s play for me in the past - for a start, I’m not too good on ladders any more! Like others, I am a great believer in keeping things that will 'come in useful - in fact my sons talk disparagingly about my ‘lawnmower collection’ and my ‘television sets collection’. They just don’t understand, do they? I don’t want to rabbit on about myself but I did want to reiterate how valuable and encouraging it is to read about the experiences and advice of others. Ray.

2 Likes

Thanks for your post, Ray. You’re so right. I get so much from everyone’s comments. :slightly_smiling_face:Jeanne

Hi There

I’m glad that this topic has generated such great replies, :+1:

Keep putting them up. Allan

Hi fotoRay hope your garage project is progressing. Just moved bungalow and the process just about wiped me out . Now I understand the saying “you can’t pour a Quart into a pint pot. Never had a lawn mower collection but just about had everything else relating to country living. So some harsh decisions still got to be made. Pds

1 Like

Hi All
Been trying to do some carving, put a nose on a gnome but so busy with drs visits, exercises etc. That the nose is as far as I’ve got. It’s not bad but hopefully I will improve. Now the sun has warmed up the garden It’s going to intrude into my time for crafting, soaking up the sun etc.
The boss doesn’t help she still won’t let me go out on my own, despite not having fallen for ages, my leg some times doesn’t do as I tell it.
My dog is coming home at last got to try to walk her a couple of times a day, around the block to build up my strength cause that is what I need, at the moment need at least a bit of a sleep mid afternoon.
To finish on a highpoint we have a pigeon problem the junkie next door feed the vermin and they collect on his roof a flock of 50 plus is disturbing when they take off, poo and feather 🪶 all over the place. I bought a falcon kite to frighten them off, very successful. The wind got up and the kite flew away. Went into the garden and I thought the pigeons were all laughing at me! Haha

Allan

2 Likes

Now that’s too funny!******. Sometimes life reads like a comic book. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :heart:Jeanne

Shwmae @Allan_4389, that’s a funny story about the pigeons. I hope your neighbour hasn’t been feeding them bread, apparently it’s no good for a bird’s digestive system. I don’t know much about carving figures, I assume you are working from one block? The nose is a good start, and at least you are chipping away at something you enjoy (excuse the pun). I carve sticks, that’s one of my hobbies. Got some nice blackthorn to work with now, may not need too much seasoning as the tree was already dead.

Rups
The pigeons are no laughing matter, I know it supposed to be good luck to be pooed on but when the boss is soaking up the sun . she is not amused to have good luck on her belly.
Unfortunately I have no sticks to work on I only have old 3x2 or some bass wood blocks from Amazon, don’t get about much any more. Bought some bone for carving from Amazon so I’m going to try that. I’ll try anything once, well almost anything, I won’t recognise a black thorn if it stuck me in the finger!
Got to get my beard and hair cut so by for now, keep in touch Allan

1 Like

Hi Allan, beard & haircut. Bit of a nightmare, for me . After stroke had to stop , shaving, electric! Wouldn’t trust myself with blade. Thought, short beard answer. Use beard trimmer, something about looking in mirror & moving my head, absolutely knocks , me out, for full day . Marginally better, when my wife carries this out, far superior. Tomorrow, replacing inward opening shower doors. Shortly to be banned. Too many accidents of people/ children slipping, falling against doors & help not gaining, access. Think I could be a poss future example :grin: . With horrible shower curtain. Still like to challenge myself, feel I then have have achieved something in my little world. Good speaking David.

1 Like

David3
What a positive attitude if I was having to take on that challenge I think I would get all my tools ready send the boss away for the day and get someone else in!
I’ve never done DIY I have never completed a shelf that was straight or level not even from Ikea, even my sons eyes were on a slope,
Been out for lunch to Lytham St Anne’s and a not very long walk about the town centre. Afraid the Dog, Ella, isn’t going anywhere tonight third night at home and “daddy” is too knackered to put one foot in front of the other…
Bah humbug, hope I will be better tomorrow but going to have mental health assessment tomorrow or something like that. I’m hoping I can get my wheels back BUT still can’t get my right side to do as it is told all the time. So unlikely to work. On a lighter note had my follicles depleted and now look like a turtle that has escaped from its shell. Still my boss still loves me Allan

1 Like