My First Entry

On 5th October, I was working, doing a job I love, (Home Shopping Delivery Driver at Sainsburys). Suddenly everything changed, I had a Cerebellar Stroke, not that I realised at the time, I was just dizzy, uncoordinated and nauseated. My amazing store management and colleagues got me back from my van, did the FAST, which showed nothing, called NHS 24 who did more checks and adivised a visit to Casualty. CT and obs were mostly clear, and stroke treatment commenced.

An MRI 3 days later confirmed the worst, and I am now in recovery. I started off ok, regular walking, felt ok, last week started cycling, which was good excercise, the trouble is I suddenly get incredibly tired, and have started to feel very low and also scared that this may all happen again. I have been cleared to drive by the Dr, but have driven only once, and was petrified.

I suppose my main question is, is this normal? Will it pass? 

Thanks

Richard

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Hi Richard. This is perfectly normal! I had my stroke in Aug 2018, and fortunately recovered really well and have only slight right side weakness and get tired really easily. I was a community nurse so drove every day and when I was given the go ahead to drive again I too was really anxious and quite scared. Cut yourself some slack and try  short journeys every day and it’ll come back as 2nd nature . Stroke gives your confidence a knock, and I too still worry about it happening again, but life is too short for the “what ifs” in life so keep positive and keep going. ? Lorna 

Hi ,Richard 

I had a haemorrhage stroke (brain bleed) in june aged 49 always been fit and healthy while on holiday. Luckily after 6 weeks i was back working .i went through all the emotions , fear  , anxiety , anger , upset , why me .6 months on still have my worries but thing definitely improve  i think accepting it was the thing for me. I try to think maybe it was a call for me to slow down a bit.Take it easy in time im sure you'll feel alot better.

Yes, Richard, it will pass. Stroke is a major trauma to the body and the mind. Mine was four years ago and I thought I was dying. Firstly, all I could do was lie  in bed and try to do what I was told to do. I was hoisted in and out of bed, had to have my shoe laces tied for me and had no appetite. In hospital I lost a stone in weight. Once stabilised, fear crept in. Would a second stroke happen sooner or later. The danger period,however, is the first month.

However, soon after, a lot of us get post stroke fatigue. Mine was quite debilitating at first and required hours in bed every day. I have got this down to one hour a day, but as I am 76, some of the fatigue is age related. At my age, I try to make each day count and am grateful for so many things I once took for granted.

Fear goes with the territory. My first trip to a supermarket frightened me to death and even a meal out with friends was an ordeal. What I have learnt to do is plan things ahead,even daily tasks, and rest in between activities. I go to three exercise classes a week, but, again, do what I can rather than attempt to do things I know I cannot. I have also changed to a healthier diet and drink less alcohol.

I still get low moods, but it is no good getting down in the dumps and whilst I cannot do many things I used to love, I love what I can do. Mind you a good bout of swearing in private, helps relieve tensions.

Finally, you are in very early days of your recovery. Don't overdo things and don't allow low moods to get the better of you. Things will improve. Good luck!

Hi Richard, as the others say, what you are feeling is normal. But it is important to chat with your GP and care team about how you are feeling and the effects, they maybe able to help to improve things. Take time, don't rush.

I was a lead nurse, and, boy it was a shock to the system. Think of your brain as a computer, it takes time to reboot, and might need a bit of reprogramming.

Hello everyone out there. I had my first event just over 2 weeks ago, blurred and distorted vision for about 10 secs followed by numbness side of face, which I still can feel vaguely. Then had a repeat of the numbness 3 days later. CT and MRI scans clear, still awaiting echocardiogram, so being treated as very mild stroke. I hardly feel as if I've had a stroke, so coming to terms with that isn't easy, but I also realise how lucky I've been  (I've got virtually no deficit). I've always been 'fit as a fiddle', Cycling loads, golf 3 times a week, not overweight etc, so have to fight the 'why me' issue. Just shows tia/stroke can happen to anyone/anytime. I'd love to exercise as I've always done, but am frightened to do so. How long should I wait?? Back at stroke clinic in about 3 weeks. 

Thanks,

Don

Five months after my stroke and am now walking eight holes on the golf course and hitting the 5 iron gently and it feels great. Also walk every day to push myself and now need the hand to improve. Good luck

Thank you for that, good luck to you too.

I know absolutely diddly squid about golf :) but that sounds really good!  Well done you!

Hi - Like you, I also was fit as a fiddle, non-smoker, non-drinker and not overweight and you are quite correct in what you say, strokes can hit anyone at any age irrespective of how fit you are.  I used to go to the gym 3 times a week pre-stroke and had my stroke the day I went to the gym.  'Mild' strokes take time to  recover from just as full blown strokes do especially the emotional side. I was told I could not go back to the gym for 3 months and after that time I had to ease myself back into it and not dive in to how I used to be.  Your stroke may have been a warning that you are doing too much...? Not sure how old you are but cycling 'loads' and golf 3 times a week is quite a hectic fitness schedule!

I was told that after 3 months,provided you are on the medication needed and you take it regularly, you are at no more risk of having another stroke than any other person. Some consultants say that having a TIA is a warning so it is essential that you find out what caused it so you can take the appropriate medication to stop another stroke happening.   Rest is paramount after a stroke and 2 weeks is no time really in stroke terms so do take it easy until you've seen the consultant in 3 weeks. They will be able to help you with advice about exercising again and hopefully the reason why it happened. All the best 

Thank you so much for your advice. (I'm 63 by the way). I've just been speaking to my GP who was quite encouraging in that because I've had the symptoms investigated and am now on treatment, I'm in a much better place than someone who has had a silent stroke, or not had symptoms investigated. They said it's ok to exercise gently, and gradually build up to where I was before, if possible. But I'm going to be very wary at least until I've had an echocardiogram (waiting for appointment). How long since you had your stroke? Thanks again. Don

Hi Don - I'm 67 (but still 21 in the head - my biggest problem!) I had mine in August 2017. Mine was a blood clot on the right side which affected my left side.  So 2 yrs post stroke and still improving! 

MMm Not sure why my reply was reported as offensive...?

Dear Richard

So sorry to  learn of the stroke that bit you. Welcome to the forum.

The three issues you mention are common to many of us.

Tiredness: Dont fight it, rest. This fatigue is likely to be your amazing brain closing you down whilst it repairsthe damage done to your brain. To help recovery it needs you to rest and to give your brain plenty of water. I call this tiredness stroke fatigue (SF) because it is different from being sleepy tired.

Very low: Stroke often brings on waves of depression. If the depression gets a grip then you will need medication and counselling. But if you can bat it away right now, and then every time the low mood starts, then you will avoid the medication counselling and your recovery will be quicker.

Another stroke: You are now medicated, resting, eating the right things and taking appropriate exercise. You are far less likely to get another stroke than those who have not had a stroke. The sensation of fear is because your brain did not like the stroke and basic instincts are kicking in to tell you not to have another one.

Your confidence will have taken a beating. Do what you can and dont do any more. Drive well within your limits and monitor how things are going. A stroke diary is very useful.

Smile a lot (amazingly effective)

Be positive

You are not alone, loads of us are here for you

Colin

Thank you everyone for your replies and advice. I have spoken to a GP again, this time to one who actually listened, and, along with life experience from guys like yourselves, realise that my feelings are normal after a stroke. Also having no obvious effects is difficult to explain, any way I am feeling more positive, taking it steady and trying to do the good things to keep me healthy.

Richard

well done Richard. keep at it.

Colin

Hi Don, I was told to wait three months before playing golf. I prepared by going for a walk every day for about an hour. Flatter walks first, then building up for hills. I have found that regular waking has helped to build my stamina.

My plans were derailed by the lockdown in England, so I played nine holes a bit early.

I bought an electric trolley during the lockdown, I played eighteen holes today. The electric trolley helped a lot. I play at Epsom which is quite hilly.

I have played twice, in friendly and relaxed games, with generous gimmies and the odd mulligan. Best to avoid competitive games too early!

I was concerned that I may have lost my ability to play golf. I had a one hour lesson with a professional on a simulator. This was a great way to start and a confidence boost. I was pleasantly surprised. I know that some people have a loss of form after a stroke, and it can take a long time to rebuild.

I wish you all the best out on the course. Golf can be a cruel game, but I really enjoying being able to play again.

Best regards,

Graham