More sadness

Diabetes ,I have been warned I’m on the verge, more grief

1 Like

Oh dear @mrfrederickson hopefully you can stop it progressing by making some dietary changes.

Hi @mrfrederickson - as @Mrs5K says, try some dietary changes. I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic some years ago and adopted a low-carb diet, which worked well and reduced my blood sugar levels. I still follow it and it’s just become a way of life.
You might want to have a look at Michael Mosley’s ‘800 calories’ book. I didn’t go that drastic but the principles were useful to know.
Best wishes

2 Likes

I have been warned about my sugar levels too and will have to have another blood test in February so am trying to limit the amount of sugar in my diet but I’m not going to be too strict about it. Hope you sort the problem out and that if you end up having to take medication that it does you good. I have just been reading John Prescott’s (also now a Stroke Survivor) autobiography and he said that taking medication for diabetes made him feel a lot better.

Hello. I think the NHS are really pushing diabetes prevention and possibly ‘contracting it out’ and the contractor are paid by the numbers and are really scaring people. I too, have just been diagnosed as diabetic but I refuse to follow their program of medication and self help groups. Obviously they dont know how difficult it is to cope with groups as a stroke survivor. I also know of others that are being scared into diabetes prevention.
Just be wise, we all know they will say cut back on salt, sugar, carbs, alcohol, do more exercise.

1 Like

Yes my diet has suddenly just got very boring and some of the small pleasures have gone

I’m in the same place as you, lower sugar less carbs more exercise bike burnt 273 calories this pm

@mrfrederickson I’m sure a treat will be ok as long as you don’t go too mad. You’ll have to research some recipes to find something you’ll enjoy eating.

@Loshy i think when you’re told you shouldn’t have something you automatically start wanting it…its our rebellious side sneaking out :rofl::rofl:

Good luck to all those who are having to adjust their diets. :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

1 Like

My take on the situation is, nothing can be as bad as stroke.
I will continue to eat what tastes nice, drink exactly what I want and exercise can just ‘do one’.
C’mon big man, do your worst and I will fight you to the end. :wink:

1 Like

Mr F. I have had type two diabetes for 20+ years. It is a manageable condition. If you are borderline it can be corrected with changes to diet. Please don’t let it get you down. Avoid carbs and fresh or frozen fruit.

Thanks Lorraine :two_hearts: I will adjust just fed up with no positive luck no stroke recovery breakthrough no altered diet going to make Christmas boring no pigging out :rofl:

1 Like

Hi @mrfrederickson sorry to hear your news but I’m sure you can control this by diet and exercise and there are lots of tasty foodstuffs you can still eat.

I’ve changed my diet totally after my stroke and high cholesterol diagnosis but have found foods that I can enjoy and you will too with the odd treat :sparkles:

Yes you are totally correct, o was on a foil mood when I posted the update so very negative,sorry everyone

1 Like

You dont need to apologise @mrfrederickson its another challenge that you could do without & you probably need time to absorb the news.
You’ll get there though. Best wishes

Yes it is settling slowly, my fest lady is on the case gat free yogurt LEdd bread rice and salt

1 Like

No need to ever apologise for just telling us how you feel @mrfrederickson :pray: that we can say most anything here and someone will always respond is one of the best things about this forum :sparkles:

1 Like

My blood tests showed that last year. I don’t eat much in the way of carbs, so had to assume it was the copious amounts of honey, dried figs and jam I ate every day. I now make my own granola, which contains Erythritol instead of sugar and add my own ingredients (seeds, nuts, cranberries etc).
Blood test this year showed no cause for concern.
There are websites that show good and bad items for diabetics.

2 Likes

Good advice thanksi will report back on the follow up tests

1 Like

The problem is I have been looking back at what I’ve lost since the stroke :rofl: and fearful that my recovery won’t deliver a viable life that my heart can heal with.
The hope is there but wi no charge on luck I loose confidence

1 Like

Hi again @mrfrederickson.
I’ve been feeling a bit like this for the last few days too.
I’m coming up for 6mths post-stroke, don’t seem to be progressing and wondering if my head will ever feel right again.
Just wanted to let you know you’re not alone in having these bad days :pray:

1 Like