More cake, anyone?

This is my second brave foray into the kitchen.
The reward is in the eating. Home’s made is always the best.
If you are brave and love your cake you gotta try this, as soon as is convenient.

The Recipe for Mam’s Fruit Loaf

Ingredients

125g butter (I used 50g butter + 75g margarine)
240ml water
200g sugar
95g sultanas
1 tsp. mixed spice (ground)
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground ginger

125g plain flour
125g self-raising flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 egg

Directions

Preheat the oven to 150°C.

Add the butter, water, sultanas, sugar and spice to a pan and bring to the boil.
Set aside to cool.

Once cool add to the flour, baking soda, egg and mix well.

Pour into a prepared loaf tin (lined with greaseproof paper).
Bake in the centre of the oven for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. (Mine was nicely done in an hour)
Insert a skewer, if it comes out clean, it is ready.

Leave to cool on a wire rack.
Slice, butter and serve with tea or coffee.

I give it 10/10 and urge you to try it.
Its good to get back in the kitchen ! !

A photo or two might convince you of how nice this is, but you really gotta make it for yourself to properly enjoy it.

The photos make it look like a brick. In reality it is crumbly and unctious, lovely with butter and a cuppa.

11 Likes

@Bobbi sounds delicious. You’re doing really well with your baking. I’m with Loraine…can smell the cake and would love a slice with my cuppa with some butter and jam :yum: yum

1 Like

@Bobbi sounds great I’d love to try some but can we have a photograph just to be going on with :blush:

So taking your inspiration I was thinking of trying blueberry pancakes healthy style made with oats and just a touch of maple syrup (saw it on Insta).

1 Like

Oh, my, my! Be still my heart. That looks positively scrumptious! :yum:

1 Like

I was asked, a couple of days ago, as an exercise, to do something that involves self-care. Well I always loved playing in the kitchen and a nice slice of fruit loaf with a cuppa is a bonus.
So that is how this thread materialised. I have enjoyed my kitchen activity, I have eaten a buttered slice and now consider myself to have been suitably indulged. :grinning:

(there’s more cake for later too)

Why not indulge yourself?
If you post a picture of your culinary handiwork on this thread, can’t promise prizes but it will be much appreciated. :smiley:

Be warned though. There is a problem with this edible. It doesn’t last long.

2 Likes

A not very flattering photo of me mixing fruit loaf ingredients.
Sat on my rollator in the kitchen, all hairiness, big nose and dressing gown, a picture of concentration, photographed by Hilary.
Note the use of ‘weak’ right hand to support mixing bowl and slick mixing action of ‘good’ left hand.

I challenge you to do better ! ! :smiley:

4 Likes

Looks lush @Bobbi. So pleased you have your cooking and eating mojo back. I just wish I lived in reaching distance. The challenge has been set, the gauntlet thrown, I feel inspired :yum: Julia x

1 Like

It looks lovely @Bobbi It won’t taste as good but do you think it would work replacing all the butter with margarine and the egg with banana - granddaughter is allergic to milk and eggs

1 Like

@FionaB1
I’m someone who needs a recipe to cook, even for boiling eggs !! :crazy_face:
So advice on changing recipes is a bit out of my know-how.
My wife tells me, no problem using margarine only and banana as an egg substitute should be fine.

If you make this please take a photo and post it here, others will be interested too, no doubt.

1 Like

Well done. Is it like a Bara Brith?

1 Like

@John_Jeff_Maynard
Bara brith that was my Welsh grandmother’s favourite.
Yes I think this is similar.

1 Like

Hello @Bobbi. I don’t often bake other than bread so thank you for the idea. I tried some lavender, basil and mint biscuits out of a garden forage book my mum gave me. I was worried there might be too much going on but they’re lovely. Slight issue that although I set the timer I didn’t remember to switch it on :woozy_face: but I rescued them just in time. Keep baking, Julia x

4 Likes

@JuliaH They look tasty. I would like to give them a try.
I hope you realised I was going to pester you for the recipe !

1 Like

@JuliaH Emm they sound delish! Can we have the recipe please?

1 Like

@JuliaH they look delicious. Can they be made without Lavender as I’m allergic? but love the sound of them. :yum::yum::yum::yum::yum:

1 Like

Morning @Bobbi, @Loshy, @Mrs5K @HHilary. Thank you for your interest. There is lots of lavender around just now as well as herbs so now is the time! @Mrs5K lavender is the predominant flavour I’m afraid, but you could try different herbs.
I divided recipe by 3 as it’s only me who eats them. This is the full recipe.
350g room temp butter
125g caster sugar
4Tbl spoons icing sugar sifted
2Tbl spoons finely chopped lavender flowers
1Tbl spoon finely chopped mint or basil I used both
Finely grated zest 1 lemon
325g plain flour sifted
65g cornflour sifted
Pinch of salt

Cream together butter and both sugars til soft and fluffy. Hard work and would advise electric beater if you have one.
Add herbs and lemon. Mix
Add flours and salt combine to a dough.
Wrap in cling film and put in fridge for 1 hour.
Roll out to 6mm or thereabouts on floured surface and use cutter to cut out biscuits.
Space on greased baking tray and cook for 15-18 minutes at 170/gas 3. REMEMBER TO SWITCH TIMER ON!!! Should be a golden colour not the tanned version I posted a photo of. Enjoy, Julia x

4 Likes

Thank you @JuliaH I shall have to see if I can find a suitable alternative. Yummy :yum:

3 Likes

Thanks @JuliaH I’ll have to give that recipe a try :grinning:

2 Likes

Soon be on Bake Off Bobbi!

2 Likes

It is my delight to announce another fruit loaf on the horizon. The ingredients are all weighed and measured. We are attending a Zoom call in less than an hour, but after that the baking will begin.
It will be nice to have a slice at tea time.

2 Likes