Mindfulness

I have joined a friend’s son’s project for his PhD in Psychology. In this we are given a “mindfulness” exerise every week. To be honest, I don’t get the “science” behind it - stuff he is very keen on about what it is apparently doing to the brain, and I wonder wether my damaged brain is capable of such stuff, especially as at first when I joined the study I mainly fell asleep in the exercises, but now I am enjoying them and do feel happy to be able to contribute something to someone by relaxing in a comfortable place. I’m not really sure that it’s any different to any other way of relaxing be that prayer, listening to music or watching silly telly but it’s worth looking at I think

2 Likes

Hi , tried, really Wanted it to work, for me no . Best for me just quiet time, sat in garden, or what I call , bit of distraction therapy. To help prevent me , feeling a bit sorry for myself & wallowing. If I have a small project, to think about, keeps my brain busy. ABSOLUTELY NO MEDICAL QUALIFICATIONS. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: . David.

1 Like

Hello @Mahoney. So pleased you have found something that helps you relax. I really struggle with it and like @David3 need distractions and form my own mindful situations being outside and concentrating on the task in hand. Am quietly jealous of those who have learnt the skill and can apply it at will. It must be doubly nice knowing that you are contributing to some thing at the same time. Take care Julia x

Hi all, I also find it difficult. I downloaded and used an app called “Headspace” for a few months after stroke and it did help a bit with the anxiety I was feeling at the time, but alas as work hours increased and fatigue increased I used it Les and less.
Like @David3 I find distractionworks best for me, be that work or listening to music, reading book etc.
Likewise CBT makes a lot of sense (when you’re not stressed) but when/if thing escalate quickly I find it all goes out the window. It’s one of those thing that takes lots of practice to make it come instinctively.

watching a TV programme on mental health and archaology (spin off from Time Team) which argues that having a definite purpose helps so perhaps those who use distraction have a very good point - and perhaps the feeling that I am helping with the young man’s PhD is helping me as much as the actual exercises

Hi what mindefulness app do you use as im the same my mind goes to the what ifs a lot

Hi @Mahoney & @Weeroxigirl3 , I definitely agree it is something that takes practice. I may well have done a lot better had I not pushed getting back to work so much.
I will say that the Headspace app is definitely worth a look. Is is paid though and after doing a trial whilst I was really struggling with anxiety I paid for a whole year. Even though I wasn’t very good at the meditation I really found just listening to the calm, soothing voice of Andy (the main guy) was super helpful in distracting and lowering stress levels. They have lots of different sections and fantastic animations.
I would definitely recommend giving it a go for the trial period. I’m actually thinking about going back to it.
Final point, if you have Netflix then there are some Headspace animated 30 minute programs which give a good flavour of it.
Good luck.
Mark

Thanks everyone for all your advice i will give these things yous have advised a go see if they will help me x will let yous know how i get on so much appreciated thanks all take care :ok_hand::pray:t4: