Medication Clopidogrel & Asprin - dangers of Hemorrhagic Stroke😞

Had TIA one month ago - attended emergency and was put on Clopidogrel and Cartia (Asprin low dose)
1 week later had phone consult with Neurologist- said stop taking Clopidogrel because of risks.
Attended and GP insisted to continue to take Clopidogrel.
Want to reduce risk of another TIA but don’t want Hemorrhagic Stroke.
Very confused😥

2 Likes

@DebF welcome to the forum. Sorry ýou had a tia.
I had a stroke rather than TIA so assume treatment plan is different. There are others on here who had TIAs though, & I’m sure will offer advice.
There are always risks with meds & I guess it’s a case of weighing up benefits vs risks. I take clopidogrel as had a clot based stroke.
Perhaps you should discuss your concerns with your GP and they will hopefully explain the risks etc to you.
Best wishes.

Ann xx

Shwmae @DebF, if your TIA was ischaemic (a clot), they will prescribe Clopidogrel (I’m not sure why they have combined it with Aspirin, because both medications do the same thing). Clopidogrel is an anti-platelet medication, this means that your blood is not thinned as such but it reduces the stickiness of the platelets when forming, and reducing the chance of a clot.

Every stroke survivor who is prescribed an anti-platelet medication is at risk of a hemorrhagic stroke. That’s the gamble we take to prevent potential clotting. There might be a reason for your TIA, this would be an important factor on why a neurologist might discourage you from taking anti-platelet medication. It would be beneficial to talk further with the neurologist. The GP, on the other hand, will probably be following standard post ischaemic TIA/Stroke treatment which often involves anti-platelet meds and statins.

2 Likes

I had a haemorrhage stroke six years ago and a small clot stroke two years ago. The scan revealed the bleed area was completely healed. I have been on Clopidogrel for two years.

1 Like

I was on Clopidogrel and Aspirin (along with statin) following my discharge from hospital last November. I stopped taking aspirin in February this year as instructed by the stroke consultant at the end of Feb '22. I am still on Clopidogrel and Statin.

1 Like

Debf
Sorry to hear that you’ve had a TIA but you will find this group enormously informative and supportive.

After my TIA in February I was put on clopidogrel and atorvastatin. In August I insisted on a proper review of my medication (you are entitled to a review six weeks after your TIA) and am now on edoxaban - a blood thinner - and atorvastatin. It could be a good idea to ask your GP to refer you to a consultant, who would explain where the stroke occurred, where a clot was situated, and the reason for the medication. You might also like to talk to your pharmacist for advice on the drugs - they can prove very helpful.
In the early days, drugs and advice can be very confusing but there are such knowledgeable and helpful people on this forum that you will acquire the information and strategies to clarify your confusion.
Best wishes. Magga

3 Likes

Hi everyone,
I had a cerebellar stroke in Jan 23 and among other medications I take clopidogrel.

Does any one know if this is for life, or when do people come off these?

Many thanks

1 Like

Hi @GavT, these medications are for life as they reduce the risk of another stroke…though not eliminate that risk as nothing is a hundred percent guaranteed preventative.

1 Like

Many thanks, small price to pay I guess :+1:

1 Like

Hi @GavT
The more accurate description might be " for life if not questioned""

The automatic default reaction to anybody who has an ischemic stroke is to prescribe blood pressure, anti-cholesterol, antiplatelet / blood thinner medication - It is more a ’ tradition’ than a thought through evidence-based tailored individual need.

Immediately pre clot based stroke you definitely have risk factors that may come from your lifestyle. stroke brings them into focus! Its common for many of us to adjust lifestyle following the event!!
At the same time the medical profession prescribes interventions which are then continued even though we’ve had lifestyle changes .

It’s a balancing act that needs to take in a number of factors and be reviewed occasionally. Cause that means that you have a GP who has enough background knowledge and familiarity with your case

Caio
Simon

3 Likes

@GavT i was told they are for life. I’m content yo take it if it reduces risk of another stroke.

3 Likes

Thanks @Mrs5K

You’re right I’ll do anything I can do to prevent another attack. :+1::+1:

2 Likes

Thanks Simon.

Fortunately my GP is excellent but the info I am gaining through this forum is really valuable.

Thanks again👍

3 Likes

The wisdom of crowds (accessed with the magnifying search glass above)
:slight_smile:

2 Likes