Low Thyroid

Just wondered if anyone on here takes thyroid tablets for low thyroid.  At my last blood test I was borderline Thyroid and also pre-diabetic Type 2.  I've just had another set of blood tests done yesterday and the Health Nurse thinks I may need to take Thyroxine if it's no better this time.  Does anyone who has it suffer from any side effects of Thyroxine and do they help?

I had my thyroid removed when I was 40 as it was overactive (I had Graves' disease) and have taken Thyroxine since then. - for 20+ years. I don't have any side effects to the tablets but had my dose lowered this year from 100 micro grams to 75 micro grams because my annual blood test suggested I was slightly overactive. They certainly help me. I was initially underactive after the surgery, gaining weight, cold all the time, sleeping a lot, unable to concentrate - all resolved without 100 micrograms of Thyroxine which I took daily until Feb this year  when they thought I was taking too much, I didn't feel any different. I've been on 75 micrograms since Feb but haven't noticed any change.

If you have too much thyroxine the symptoms include palpitations, breathlessness, weight loss despite having a huge appetite and a noticeable tremor of the hands.- it's like everything is speeded up.

Hope this helps. 

Ann

Thanks Ann. I've piled weight on recently despite walking everyday and doing my weights too. I'm back at the gym on Monday for the first time since lockdown.  We eat very healthily but recently I can put on 4-5lb on in one week which has now put me in the obese section. Despite working out twice a week at the gym as well as walking pre-lockdown, I've still put weight on.  I'm only 4ft 11 and every pound shows. My trainer told me to have my cortisol levels checked as it sounds like my body isn't breaking down glucose (probably why I'm pre-diabetic) and fat as it should which slows your metabolism down a lot so I've been tested for the job lot.  I've a telephone appointment with my GP on Friday to discuss the results. Like you, I'm hot in the face but cold on the end of my nose, fingers and feet. I've noticed a bit of 'brain fog' too.  I'll let you know what he says ..Gulp!

Sounds like you may be underactive, it will be worth checking. I've put a bit of weight on but think it's due to the Mirtazapine I take at night and inactivity due to staying at home more because of the virus. It's not great getting older is it.

Hope the blood tests give you some answers.

Ann

No, I hate this getting old malarky!  You just get over one hurdle and then another bites you on the nose.  It's like they are all queueing up in the wings once you get over 65 ha ha!

Hi Ann - Quick update. Had my telephone appointment with GP today. My thyroid is still borderline but he says he doesn't want to put me on tablets as it can cause oesteoporosis? He mentioned a spray but that also causes the runs so would rather leave things be and test again next yr. Good news is I am no longer pre-diabetic that has gone down to normal level and all other bloods are normal. He wouldn't refer me to the NHS dietitian and when I offered to pay private he said it would be a waste of money.  Seeing as it's my money, why should he care? He said everything I am doing is on the right lines so keep doing it but more of it!  Once again, lack of knowledge about stroke victims - we only have limited amounts of energy so can't go bonkers exercising excessively!  I was really annoyed as I feel that since my stroke, he seems to dismiss me as a whinging old woman!

Hi, well I've not heard of thyroxine causing osteoporosis but I think if it did I would have had some sort of blood test, I've been taking it for more than 20 years. Maybe you could give the thyroid a boost using food which will improve the gland, the British thyroid foundation has a page on diet and recommends vitamin D supplement .

Dr Google says  that the doses of thyroid hormone used to treat hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid) don't harm bone and shouldn't be cause for concern. Only high doses, used for thyroidcancer treatment, can cause bone loss. 

There is a gland called the parathyroid gland which lies beside the thyroid  gland. If the parathyroid glands are producing too much parathyroid hormone then calcium will be released from bone stores. This has been shown to increase the risk of osteoporosis and broken bones by increasing the rate of bone turnover.

You could try getting referred to an endocrinologist if you want to be really sure, especially if your readings are borderline and you do have a lot of the symptoms of underactivity, there's nothing to loose.

Let me know how you get on.

Ann.

Thanks Ann. I will have a look at the British Thyroid website and try boosting it with food. I can't see him referring me to an endocrinologist to be honest but I will Google to see if you can see them without being referred.  Hubby suggested changing Doctors as he's fed up with them too but I think they are all pretty much the same. I hate being fobbed off though, it makes me so angry GGrrrrrr!

I have to agree I think they are much the same in fact when my GP retires I don't know who I'd see. I see the same GP at our practice and have done since the trouble with my thyroid all those years ago. We have a good relationship and he's been very supportive since I had the stroke, which ironically coincided with having the dose of thyroxine reduced from 100micrograms to 75micrograms a day 2 years ago, although we can't agree this is what lead to the stroke.
Some of the GPs don't seem to care very much about the patients these days. I worked in the NHS all my working life as a nurse and a cardiac technician and I'm glad I can look after my own health to some degree.  

Hope you get sorted like you say it's hard enough when you've had a stroke.

Ann