Loss of time concept

My mam is now 7 weeks post stroke and visibly you wouldn’t know. Im very grateful shes been left with no paralysis but my worry is more mental. Shes 91 and orior to the stroke, other than the normal getting old occasional forgetfulness, she was okay. Since the stroke she has had some confusion but was recovering well until she developed a chest infection and clots on her lungs and went into hospital for a couple of days. Since then she is much more confused particularky about times of the day. For example at 2am this morning she told me shed been on her own all day ( my brother was with her all day yesterday) and wanted to know why all the curtains were closed. She mixes meals up, thinking her tea is breakfast, etc.
Is this common among stroke sufferers please?

1 Like

@TraceyD it can be usual to be confused post stroke. People often report that their syroke symptoms get worse if they get ill with other things too. Maybe this has happened with your mum? Hopefully as she recovers from her chest infection she will become less confused again. Have you mentioned your concerns to her drs?

Wishing you & your mum all the very best.

Ann xx

Thank you for the response Ann. To be honest weve had very little contact with drs. I found stuff out reading the discharge papers that nobody had even discussed with us at the hospital. When i picked her up the senior nurse told me about changes in medication, thank you and goodbye. We had first visit from stroke nurse last week, 7 weeks after her stroke. While the nurse was nice enough there was little to be done. She did a mood rest but mam wasnt being perfectly honest, as i knew would be the case. Mam is at her worst in the small hours of the morning and i did show the nurse a recording of her. She said she was like a different person. She has made a referral to occupational therapist but dont know how long that will take. I just feel so alone with nobody to guide me. She suggested i do a self referral to social services but im really not sure what that entails.

1 Like

Do you think there would be any point in seeing your mums GP? You could talk through everything that is concerning you & they can advise re social services etc. Hopefully the OT referral won’t take too long.
I think social services will come out & do an assessment of your mums needs & then recommend things that may help.
It’s worth a try. Xx

The problem with assessments is mam is very proud and tells everyone shes fine, does things around the house, goes in the garden, etc when all of this was pre-stroke. I think shes honest with me but reluctant to be with any ‘white coats’ or other officials

Hi
A competent white coat SHOULD be able to hear the families more objective observations and balance with the persons cares and sensitivities to arrive at something pragmatic (and if they can’t their boss should understand.
May be explore is the way to start then raise concerns if they arise?
It’s also the case that the more mum can try to do the more she’ll be able to do, the better will be the recovery both in mental& physical terms
The tertiary impacts of stroke effects on relationships, ways of being, perception of self in relation to the world and the world perception is the biggest, last treated and least supported element of stroke

2 Likes

And now we have tested positive for covid!! Me and my husband on saturday so my brother came to stay then this morning my mam has tested positive so my brother decided to go home based on the fact i can now care for mam again. Im still feeling really poorly but will need to visit at least 3 times a day to supervise tablets. Bloody covid!!

1 Like

Thank you Loraine, its much appreciated x

@TraceyD oh no. Hope covid does one very soon & that you don’t get it too bad. Hoping you all recover quickly xx

Thank you, second time and no better than the first x

2 Likes

Your last statement is the absolute truth. That needed to be said. Thank you!

1 Like