Loss of sensation in hand

Hello. My stroke was March 17th. So far making reasonable recovery. No major effects apart from fatigue, which seems to be gradually improving.

I’ve started driving again which is great.

BUT, one hand has loss of sensation. I can feel hot and cold, but can’t tell what I’m touching. Carrying a plate or bowl is a serious hazard, because it can easily just slip out of my hand.

Can anyone recommend a source of help with restoring sensation please?

2 Likes

Hi mauriceclarke- You are in the early days of recovery. As you use the hand, the nerve/brain connections will likely improve. I used a tens unit in the hospital to “wake up” the nerves of my left side, which was ompletely paralyzed. They did wake up. Physical therapy was also used. I didn’t have the loss of sensation, however. You can order a tens unit over the net. :heart:Jeanne

1 Like

In my right foot and knee cap

Thanks for your encouragement Jane.

It may be wishful thinking, but it might be a little better today, Although typing is still poor!
Maurice

2 Likes

Thanks Jeanne. I’ll look into a tens unit
Best wishes, Maurice

1 Like

Hi I had a stroke 18 months ago and have had constant 24 hour a day pins and needles in my left hand was just reading above comments about a tens machine have just ordered one hopefully will do the trick

1 Like

Welcome @mauriceclarke. Sorry you’ve had a stroke but good to have you here.

I had altered sensation following my stroke & i was told to just keep touching lots of different textures. For example , hair brush, sofa, wood, towels, etc etc etc.

Over time my sensation returned to normal.

Hope you get your sensation back soon.

Best wishes

Ann

2 Likes

Have been trying different textures now for 18 months thought the ten machine might help it along

1 Like

It has been long time since I have loss any type of feeling in it

My left hand has had constant 24 hour a day pins and needles no pain just pins and needles can move fingers wrist okay just wondering if a tens machine would stop the pins and needles

1 Like

it is early days still, your nerve endings need to reconnect as your brain rewires itself. try hand exercises using therapeutic putty available on amazon various strengths or hand grips or even a soft toy, to grip and release etc

1 Like

Maurice: My whole right side has spasticity, but my hand is what really troubles me. I play piano and I’m an artist. Wouldn’t you know I am right hand dominant? I had my stroke Aug. 2 and all the therapists tell me it takes time. Even though I can’t feel, I use it for almost everything. I use the exercise putty to help with strength. I wish you the best and keep moving that hand as much as possible. Spread the fingers and then close the fist tight for 20 or more reps 3 times often during the day. My therapist said to get a
very rough towel or wash cloth and rub your hand over it often; anything with a rough texture helps.

1 Like

You know, one of your 2 of your therapy exercises should be painting and piano. Doesn’t matter that you can’t do either yet. But it’s a very familiar memory that holds meaning to you. Therefore it should help spark the senses and trigger your muscle memory quicker, just as they do for coma patients.

Yes Emerald I still try painting and playing, although Klunky, I work at it almost every day. iIplayed and sang with my band this week and used a lot of left hand. No problem with my voice so that was good.
My latest painting where I used both hands to steady.

4 Likes

Ooh, now I do like that one very much :heart_eyes:
I don’t know what it is about it, but I prefer that out of the others I’ve just seen on your website…well, apart from Snow Business, I love that too :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Don’t rush yourself beware

1 Like

Thanks for your reply Outlander. I’m so sorry to hear about your spasticity and loss of sensation. It must be so frustrating for you. Thanks for the suggestions for exercises, I’ll certainly try them. I hope you make progress and get full recovery.

Thanks. I’m not rushing

2 Likes

Wow @Outlander thats a great picture. You have a real talent.

1 Like

My skin likev darn rattylev snakrir