Lonely after stroke?

Anyone feel lonely after your stroke? Not being able to do things like before is so frustrating.

2 Likes

Hello RaksP.
This is something that I experience myself. I live by myself and that makes the long dark and cold winters a challenge because I only get out for essential things like food shopping or health appointments. The loneliness is mitigated by taking part in these forums and I also take part in another health related forum. I also listen to the local BBC radio station and try to take part in quiz competitions and on air chat when I can.

The summer months are better for me and I can get out a little bit more, eg a short walk occasionally to my nearby pub where I can sit and talk to people ‘live’. I also use my bus pass to go on an occasional trip and have lunch out on a nice day. I often end up chatting to someone!

I hope I have given you some ideas on how to break up that loneliness.

3 Likes

Hi, I totally understand where you are coming from. I live with my husband of 40 years who has been amazing throughout my journey since my stroke 6 years ago. We also see lots of our 3 grown up children and our grandchildren.

Although they all include me in everything, I do sometimes feel as though I’m on the outside looking in. I feel very frustrated as I was always the family organiser and find it difficult to take a back seat.

I know I’m very fortunate and feel grateful for my amazing husband and children. Luckily I enjoy my own company and some days look forward to some peace and quiet when they’ve all been here :blush:.

Regards Sue

2 Likes

@RaksP yes, there have been times when i’ve felt very lonely. I joined some online forums which helped with this. As i’ve improved i have also started short walks & i often bump into someone to have a quick chat with. This helps but of course doesn’t stop the loneliness when you get back home.

But yes I do miss being able to jump in my car & pop to the shops or for a coffee.

Hopefully in time you’ll get out a bit more & the loneliness will ease. Xx

1 Like

I feel lonely and have a kind of sad ache inside, even though, by choice I had lived alone since the children left some years ago. Unfortunately my mobility is poor and I think getting worse. I can no longer get out on my own and can hardly walk. Needless to say I can no longer drive. I have no grandchildren and although my two daughters are very good they have family committments and work full time in demanding jobs. I really miss walks, that was my main hobby, social life and holidays so all gone in one fell swoop. I was managing to walk very short distances with an appliance, and would
Ld always find someone to chat to but that’s got impossible now. I have got friends but some of them are elderly and g
Have small cars which make the wheelchair difficult to lift in and out. Then they struggle to push it! But I do get taken out and do zoom meetings, go to support groups, for the company mainly, ring people and listen to e books (which are free from my local library). So not all doom and gloom. Overall I find the Forum uplifting because you get to people with similar issues. Please excuse any spelling or grammatical errors but my fingers are shaky and my eyesight poor!

2 Likes

My husband wanted a divorce when I took the stroke. Convinced him that I should divorce him, to save my sanity after his adultery whilst I was fighting for my life in hospital. After a year in hospital, I returned to Scotland. Got back with my childhood sweetheart, Billy. Sadly, he died a few years ago. Live alone, and honestly doesn’t bother me, as have brilliant neighbours and friends. Am a lifelong poet, which is a solitary pursuit. Relish your independence, and return to hobbies, existing and old pals, maybe? Best of luck. Carole xx

4 Likes

Hopefully my mobility will improve to be able to be able to get to normal again

3 Likes

good luck to all and happy easter

1 Like