Just popping in to say hello and wish you all a wonderful festive time

Hello everyone,
I’ve not been on here for a wee while although do get some highlights on my emails. I had a “very mild stroke” but still a stroke, as I was told in July. Was completely out of the blue and absolutely terrifying to be told both that it had happened and also that there was no obvious explanation. It’s was a haemorrhagic stroke in the right hand side of my brain.
I found my way here and was so welcomed and reassured by so many kind people.
Since it happened ,I have decided to take early retirement from a job that had become very stressful and possibly contributed to me having a stroke. It wasnt an easy choice as I hadn’t planned on stopping work at this stage in life but I think it is probably for the best for my health. I’m lucky in that I can access my pension early.
It’s been a tough year. I lost my Dad in February suddenly ,although he was a good age he was also in good health so that was a terrible shock. Then a few months later I have this stroke. So to say I will be glad to see the back of this year is an understatement. .
I came back to say thank you again to a group of people who understand the upset and trauma of having a stroke and how it can absolutely knock you off your feet and turn your world upside down.
I’ve had MRI scans ( faced my fears of claustrophobia there and managed!!) and apparently inside my head all looks ok which is reassuring.
I’m trying to be see the stroke as a chance to make positive changes to my life in the future. Less stress,more fun hopefully. Anyway enough of my ramblings…I hope you are all faring well. I wanted to pop in and say hello as even though I’m not a regular,I do often think about this community and what an absolute god send it was to me at a very difficult time in my life.
Wishing you all the very best ,always,
Sarah

11 Likes

good luck, and enjoy Christmas and new year

2 Likes

Glad to hear you are finding your way forward, have a festive December and a cracking New Year :grinning:

1 Like

@Sarah59 Thank you for the update. I’m sure making the eecision to retire early has lifted a lot of pressure off your shoulders. I often say if I was a few years older that I’d seriously consider early retirement.

Sorry you lost your dad so unexpectedly. Always a shock.

Wishing you a happy Christmas and all the best for the New Year. One of many good adventures i hope.

Ann xx

1 Like

Hi Sarah sorry to hear you had stroke and you had to retire early from work but if feel that stress of job you was working in could cause your stroke then maybe that make sense to retire from your job I am 61 had my stroke year ago on Boxing Day I have retired early from 38 years as nurse very stressful environment of work for me especially in last few years but I did enjoy my job very much I did plan to retire then go back part time after having year out but after retiring part Time in July 2021 I had my stroke six months later so that was end of going back I am walking again but still have numbness two my left side especially my left foot and left hand and my balance is not great so I have now retired on my NHS pension but I do hope thinks workout for you maybe you could try looking for part time job in less stressful place take care hope you have wonderful joyful peaceful Christmas with your family
Or friends take care stay safe stay warm best wishes Kaz61

2 Likes

Very best wishes to you all!

3 Likes

Morning Sarah good to hear from you again. Had same stroke as you and had to retire but for me was due as I’d plodded on happily for 72 years but still a blow and now two years on have accepted what’s happened ( we’ll most days​:face_with_raised_eyebrow::slightly_smiling_face:) and adjusting and adapting to a good place but now and again we have to accept hickups. Have a good Christmas and may the New Year be a positive one. Paul

1 Like

@Stewart1 that was lovely thank you. Happy christmas to you and best wishes for the new year x

1 Like

Merry Christmas to you too. You’ve had an awful year but try your best to look forward- and remember that you’re a survivor. I had my ‘very mild stroke’ last year in March and although I’ve regained my mobility, my balance leaves a lot to be desired and I still have numbness and hypersensitivity in my right foot and lower leg. But I feel extremely lucky and grateful to everyone who helped me cope with it all, especially the lovely people here who understand what it’s like. All the best, Pam

1 Like