Just a small achievement, something to be hopeful for the future ☺

Good morning you all! I just want to share with you something I posted on Facebook today. I do hope it will bring even a small smile to your face or the smallest of hopes for the future. The very first week of my stroke I found FB very useful. It kept me in touch with the rest of the world and it stopped me from hiding into my own small and limited world. I find it motivating and inspiring when people say that they are motivated/inspired by my posts in return.

"Ruby's Blog:

29 April 2017 I woke up in a hospital bed amused by what I am seeing in front of me - all the movements and the noise. Everything looked surreal. Dreamlike.

Very fortunately for me there was never any sense of panic. It was like my brain telling me "OK, something happened to us. Don't panic. We will sort things out."

I closed my eyes and imagined myself moving all my limbs. Everything was OK until I opened my eyes. But even seeing my right side unable to move didn't make me panic. I can clearly remember looking at my right foot/leg and arm and telling myself "One day you guys are going to move again."

More than three years (and ongoing) of ups and downs, highs and lows, I am very thankful and appreciative of all my achievements - no matter how small they are. I wanted to use the word pitiful. But no, nothing is ever pitiful as long as I know I keep moving. Accepting my present situation and moving forward from there.

I know a lot of you couldn't understand my bullheadedness, my (sometimes? LOL!) demanding ways. You even dislike/hate me because of it but it is my only way of taking back control of my own life. I am a wife, a mother and mother-in-law, a daughter, a sister, a grandmother, an aunt, a friend and so on but most importantly I am Ruby. I am me.

Just over three years ago my right foot will not move no matter how much I willed it to do so. Even lifting a toe was beyond me. 6 September 2020 let me bore you to tears with a video moving both my feet. A long way to go but a long way from 29 April 2017.

Every movement counts.

Persistence. Determination. Courage. Patience. Acceptance.

Never give up. Never give in, Ruby dear...☺?? xxx"

You are lucky you will be saved from seeing my video as I cannot upload it here. LOL! ?

Have a good day. Take care. Be safe and well.

Ruby ☺

Ruby, That is very inspirational. When I had my stroke I fell over in a hotel corridor. Like you, I stayed calm and just thought 'there's something wrong. Try to crawl to your room'. I couldn't of course, so knocked the bottom of the door I had fallen next to. Can't remember the ambulance trip to A& E, but I do remember an inner voice saying things would be okay.

After that, it was all grit and determination, from the first finger movement to where I am now...walking, cooking, doing the odd household chore. I am in a much better place than I was and, like you, I fight on.

Thank you for your post.

Don't always believe the experts. Often the most expert person about you is you. Stay focused, be strong and never give up.

Hi, Ruby-- I well remember when I couldn't move my whole left side 2 years ago, but now I am walking almost a mile a day.  It was so hard getting here.  I can see how some could settle and quit trying.  The effort both psychologically and physically is tremendous.  But I keep remembering the words of a doctor to me right after my stroke.  He bent over me in my bed and said, " Don't worry.  You'll get all that back.  Just remember: it's not a race, it's a marathon." Think how the marathoners blisters bleed, muscles ache, spirit despairs and body almost gives out, but those who push through cross the finish line.Keep on truckin'.  Love, Jeanne

Hi Jeanne, 

How I wish my consultant was as positive as yours was. Six (6) weeks I spent in hospital and I can tell you exactly his lines every week when he went for his rounds. I became known as the independent lady in our ward because I often refused the physical help of the staff if I can do something myself, no matter how long, awkward and very frustrating (like putting on my knickers LOL) the activity I have to do. I negotiated with the nurses that I should be allowed to get up by the side of my bed, holding on to my table and dance/move/sing away with my headphones on, as long as they are on their table in front of me where they can see me. Eventually they agreed. They used to ask me what music I am listening and dancing to. ?

I can walk without any safety equipment at home and our garden but as soon as I go out of our house to do errands I have to use my walker if I want to be able to move about safely and independently. My walking is what I am working on now. With my vision loss and drop foot/spasticity, well let us say it is very interesting. 

Yes, let us keep on trucking... 

Ruby ☺

Thank you very much Kay. Yes, we are the only ones who know exactly what we are feeling, what we are seeing or not seeing. And we are the only ones who know what we want. Our family and friends and professionals are around to help and support us but it is up to us to keep moving and working on our rehabilitation. 

Wishing us all the best.

Ruby ☺

John,

You are one of those whose posts and comments I found very positive and motivational right from the start I joined the chat group. So thank you very much. 

Yes, let us fight on. There is no fun in doing otherwise. ?

Ruby

Such a lovely read Ruby.  Strokes bring out qualities in people that they didn't realise they had before - inner strength, determination and hope. Like you, I have always been a fighter and not someone who gives in easily.  Your courage and determination has paid off and moving your feet must have been so emotional for you.  Reading your story will give lots of inspiration and hope to others on here.  Well done yes x

Thank you Ruby for your blog I had an off day yesterday and reading you story made me feel better I had my stroke in December 2019 The hospital told me if there was no improvement in 3 months  that was it  but I am proving them wrong. I have dense weakness on my right but can now walk with a splint and  the o/t who visits every week sees big improvement in my arm. So onwards and upwards .

Hi Brenda, 

You too are an inspiration and a good source knowledge and support. You told me about the "it works" products to help me sleep. Still using them but then discovered their energy shower gel. Smells amazing. 

Have a good day 

Kay 

Go for it. I love it when we show the experts they may have to rethink the text book. 

That reminds me.. must get some more. Ran out recently. I use lavender oil too but my daughter says it makes the bedroom smell like old ladies! laugh  Ha!

Well done! Keep moving and things will improve. No matter how small the improvement, it is an improvement. 

Wishing you the best. ?

some people have no appreciation of the finer things 

Hello Ruby

I've only just read your post and it is indeed most inspirational to those of us still  trying hard to make some progress. Nobody except a stroke survivor and their carer can appreciate the feeling of absolute euphoria  when, after weeks of exhausting effort, a breakthrough suddenly happens. You do have to keep remembering the early days following the stroke, to realise just how far one has come.

Hope you continue to progress well.

Best wishes,

Anne.  xxx

Hi Anne,

Thank you. Yes, when we feel so frustrated we just have to think of the days when things were much worse. When I am doing my stationary cycling and I also exercise my arms I just remind myself that before I was doing it to retrain my arms as well as to retrain my eyes (as much as I can) so I can pass my vision test so I can have that driving assessment so I can drive again. Now, I exercise my arms and I don't have to worry too much because I have my license back. And at least my right hand can find my face and my mouth again, LOL! I can clearly remember just about managing to hold a piece of toast but the problem was my right hand had no idea what to do with it. After staying 5 weeks in hospital I finally managed to do it, just about. The whole ward celebrated with me.  It was a very comical scene but also a very happy one. ?

Sometimes, it is very difficult to always be positive. When I see people in our village enjoying their walks I ask myself "Why not me?" But then I remind myself things could have been worse, much worse. So I remind myself to be thankful and appreciative of the smallest of improvements. 

I am just hoping that after my hormones have settled down and I am already postmenopausal I will feel more energetic. This fatigue business - I hate it. Stroke and being a lady of a certain age - what a combination!

Take care. Be safe and well. Also wishing you you the best.

Ruby ☺

Dear Ruby

Congratulations on getting your license back. I surrendered mine voluntarily. I knew I was incapable of driving and, although I've always enjoyed driving and done quite a lot of it, know that until I've got the use of my arm and leg again, it's something I can't do at the moment. Before my stroke, the DVLA required me to have a field test with Spec Savers because I have glaucoma. I was concerned at the time but needn't have been. The test proved to be simple compared to the field tests I have at the hospital as part of my glaucoma check-ups.

Hope you continue to recover well and get past the stroke fatigue. I've been very fortunate in that respect, I don't seem to suffer it. I'm often sleepy but not what I'd call fatigued. 

Best wishes,

Anne. xxx