Is there anyone out there?

HI jane I cannot get on with this new site I miss all my friends on here I have been chatting to Lilian and that has kept me sane. If anybody out there can help I and many others would be very grateful. Norma.

Norma , great to see you back on . Not sure how I managed to put on new bearded photo of me , instead of circle , but makes things more friendly I think . Good talking David.

Hi Colin, breaking news! I found out what the shield means. By touching the round C by your name, it gives some “behind the scenes” information. Hopefully I can send a screenshot of what I saw. It confirms what we know, a leader (defender!)…no I can’t include a screenshot, so sorry I failed on this!!

Nice to be inn contact with you David I thought was on my own. Message just disappeared and I had to find my way back again. I wont give up. Norma.

Hello Bruce. Thank you for your reply. I will try what you suggest but although I am able to speak it is not always very clear. My husband has difficulty in understanding me but perhaps it is convenient deafness!! It is good to know that people are getting access to the site. Has anyone else tried the “ chat” site yet? Lilian

Hi David
Ischemic stroke nearly 6 years ago now. Turned everything upside down. Job collapsed 3 years ago not worked since and won’t now. No prospects at 63 and disabled.
Re the beard, I have a very nice Braun trimmer and a daily once over keeps it tight, no head movement needed. Easier than shaving tho I do shave around the edges. Have had it for years, before it went grey so Not a new thing for me. The headshot angle is deceptive makes it look neater than perhaps it really is, but thanks.
I hope life is ok for you. I find ways of living with it after all this time some days better than others, still very restricted especially mobility wise, but I very changed my expectations in some ways now as I can see this is a long term change. I was fortunate to have been spared any serious cognitive damage at least, the mild impairments I did experience in the early days have mostly improved now. It’s the physical stuff that gets me down at times, as previously I was a very active person and I do miss that.
I have great support from my family so things are ok. I know the stroke well now so I’m not daunted by year7 coming up next year. It will be ok, I’ve got lots of good things around me.
Have a good Christmas when it arrives
Best wishes
TONY

Dear Patricia

Well done for finding some relevance of the shield against my name. I am impressed.

I feel so inadequate with techy stuff. Yet I had a home PC many years before my friends/family . And lead the way at my workplace. Now I can’t get the hang of Apple nor Microsoft.

Best wishes
Colin

Hi, the right side of my thalamus was affected and I am not able to feel hot/ cold in my left hand soft fur feels sharp etc not sure if you are feeling similar things?

This site is very confisingnow

Still struggling to get accepted by new forum.
Deigh

Hi sounds similar. Do you look totally unaffected? People say to me ‘ oh you’ve been so lucky’ yet I’m living with this heavy sensory feeling. Yes I know I am lucky but …….

Hi Natalie yes I am the other side so it’s my right side affected. Different things feel strange but I struggle most with my leg and arm feeling very tight at times especially if I’m stressed or even excited or tired. I find exercise does help but I also have fibromyalgia so pacing is a difficulty. I live in West Lothian Scotland and there aren’t any groups around.

Hi yes I’m the same my skin on my hand literally feels too tight for my hand and two years on my left arm is spasming and become painfully tight offered Botox tablets but not ready for that yet, I swim 3 times a week and find this helps a lot they have just started me on pregabalin so I’ll see if this improves things. I can’t use my left hand for temperature gaging baths etc. I’m in Lincolnshire and tbh haven’t looked into groups. How long is it since your stroke?

Hi Tricia. I also look normal,in fact people always say I look well. I am not sure I believe them! I have similar problems with my right hand and leg. I still depend on my rollator for walking. I live in Cheshire and have yet to find a local group. I had a stroke three years ago. When did you ? Good to talk Love Lilian

Hi Lilian so great to find people in similar position to me. Mine was about 3-4 years ago and symptoms are still roughly the same. I was already on Pregabalin for Fibromyalgia. I didn’t realise how much they were helping until a few weeks ago there was a mix up in my prescription and I was without Pregabalin for4 days. Gosh didn’t realise how much it masked. I hope you are keeping well just now.
Hope to chat again. Tricia x

Hi Natalie it’s been about 3-4 years since my stroke.
I cope great most days then every few months or so I indulge in a little self pity and remind those close to me I did have a stroke. :joy:
How are you keeping now??

2 Likes

Hello @Norma_Jean_K, nice to see you back here :smiley:

One of the biggest problems many of have faced is that comment that ‘you look well’. It is meant with the kindest of reasons but all stroke victims resent it as though it says that we are inventing our problems. One friend of mine now always greets me with “You look terrible”, but thats what fiends are for!
Deigh

1 Like

I’ve noticed, around me, there are people who say, “You look well”, and there are people who ask, “How are you feeling today?” - I prefer the latter.

I agree with Jane’s profile, it is very appropriate. I also like Rups’ comment. What do others say in response to the comment “ you look well “. I would be interested to know. Lilian