Is getting dressed a hobby?

I joined ‘the club’ a few months ago. I apparently got brain damage on the left side, which means my right side is affected. Some movement has come back now, I can move my right hand and arm a little, my right leg responds a little too, though I’m not up to walking or carrying anything.
I do get my limbs involved as I dress myself and I’m sure I have made some progress.
I might not be able to walk but I can stand upright successfully and in addition can now put on a dressing gown unaided whilst standing too.
My ‘Hobby’ at the moment is trying to strengthen my weak limbs by using them whenever the opportunity arises. This can include mealtimes, using cutlery, crockery and so on.
All of this is small beer but gives a huge rush when some small achievement is finally reached.
I have huge plans but will have to take these ‘baby steps’ first.
The successes of others ‘in the club’ inspire me to continued and greater effort, so thanks guys to all who have contributed here.
Bob

6 Likes

Good work Bob (@Bobbi), getting dressed was one of my first milestones. I couldn’t put my socks on standing up, and now, although I still get very giddy, I can at least wobble my way into clothing on my feet. Your technique is ideal, have you tried restricting your good arm at times? Putting it in a sling or behind your back. This is a technique for fooling the brain that the good side doesn’t work, so it puts all its efforts into using the other side.

3 Likes

Hi Bob, we’ve all been there. Keep preserving and celebrating those small gains as really they are huge to a Stroke patient.

Are you having any physio, if not chase your doctors and see if your local authority supports Active Fit. I have Aqua twice a week and it’s made a huge difference since I got back up on my feet.

Good luck x

5 Likes

Hi @Bobbi. Who knew getting dressed would ever prompt a celebration in our heads! Well done and keep on trying. We don’t know what we can do til we’ve been brave enough to try, accepting the odd failure on the way and not letting it derail us. I remember the first time I managed to fasten my own bra( the ladies on here will get this☺️) I felt like a superwoman🎉.Keep on it, Julia

5 Likes

That’s how you do it, Bobbi. Good for you! Little victories. First you stand. Then you take one step. And so on.

:grinning::heart:Jeanne

5 Likes

Well done Bob. You are in the early stage of recovery. When I was in the same stage six years ago, my physiotherapist advised me to use my weak side as much as possible. I was also advised that the leg and foot recover faster than the weak arm and hand because our arms and hands perform more complex functions. No one wants to join our club but you are most welcome.

3 Likes

Aww thanks to you all I’ll send a big wave as soon as I can.

3 Likes

@Bobbi that sounds exactly like I did. I was encouraged all the time to do use my affected hand. Even when in hospital every time the physio walked past my bed she said use your left hand. It drove me mad at the time but it helped me loads. I got the dexterity back in my hand quote quickly as a result. I always quote the being able to squeeze the toothpaste out the tube as my greatest achievement in the early days, I was euphoric when I managed it the first time. Something most take for granted but not me.
You’re doing great. Baby steps is the way though. They soon turn into bigger steps.

2 Likes

Well done Bobbi M.y bugbear is putting on socks.I bought a sock aid but it doesn’t always work.And yet I can now put in my contac t lens which requires some dexterity…so little by little normal life returns or our personal version of it…and it is good to give ourselves a pat on the back sometimes.Keep up the good work!Sheila

1 Like

Keep smiling as you achieve small milestones, my stroke was in 2019, wiped out my left side but the clot busting drug enabled me to recover most of my left side with the usual brain fog etc. I kept a log of things to achieve & when I for example fastened my shoe laces, managed to get shaving foam in the right place with my left hand etc. I found swimming the most helpful or rather walking up the pool so if I slipped I would drown rather than bang my head, I always told the pool lifeguards to watch out for me. Oddly one of the pool lifeguards who was most stunned by my stroke died of a heart attack a few weeks later.
Most people think I have recovered but that is not the case, i can & do most things albeit more slowly than before but enjoy buggering on!

3 Likes

You clearly have the correct attitude, that’s more than half the battle! I would add from personal experience that keeping a journal of sorts (I didn’t and regret it) would help.

I clearly recall post stroke trying to eat a Christmas dinner and chasing peas left handedly with a fork. And the joy of one day peeling a potato using both hands. And then it struck me I didn’t really know when the change happened.

Good luck on your journey!

2 Likes

Hi Bob so pleased to hear you are improving, it may be slow but with determination you will get there.
I had a stroke in August 2020 and came out of hospital in October2020 walking just a few steps with a Zimmer frame. With physio and OT for a few weeks I was able to walk a little further. Then the physio and OT came to an end so I now pay privately for physio and still go fortnightly and my physio gives me excises to do at home.
I am now walking independently back driving my car.
My left arm and hand still weak but has improved enormously. I have drop foot and wear a carbon fibre splint. Some days I can feel exhausted especially if I have been over doing it? So the next day I have a lazy day.
I am still improving slowly and when I look back to how I was when I came out of hospital and I can’t believe how far I have come.
So I am sure Bob with determination you will get there .
Good luck and do keep up the good work.

4 Likes