Interests

Hi all

Did anyone find they weren’t really interested in much after their stroke?

Since my bleed seven weeks ago I struggle to watch any TV (and I loved TV before) or read a book, or listen to a podcast.

Previously I couldn’t get enough TV detective dramas or historical documentaries but now all I can seem to watch and enjoy is Downtown Abbey or Love Island! (I know, but don’t judge me.)

I’m thinking that it’s because Downtown is so familiar, and Love Island is based around a group of the same people each night, that I’m getting some form of comfort from watching people that I feel I almost ‘know.’

Did anyone else find it hard after stroke to enjoy activities they had previously enjoyed? Did the enjoyment return?

2 Likes

yes still puzzled 18 months on, reading fiction not on but did manage a gentle Alexander Mcall Smith book in short burst but my favourite detective stories to tough to process but my non fiction wildlife books which take less effort can dip into ,try to keep up with newspapers but they drain me as do magazines, can watch the odd TV programme I’m familiar with, gentle comedy or wildlife. But to be fair my vision was effected so that plays a part. Lack of motivation goes with stroke it’s just a matter of finding something that clicks. Was given a puzzle that looked impossible but now enjoy now and again,but I find it essential to have a few minutes rest between games. ‘The Genius Square’. Play triangular dominoes at my stroke support group, tough to begin with, ok now. But stay Positive! A lady from my support group started reading when she went on holiday and a detective story, few pages at a time then rest she was chuffed first book in four years.

1 Like

Hi, I found not interested in much since my stroke 5 years ago. I loved to read before and really miss picking up a good book. My vision was affected which makes reading difficult and also find it hard to concentrate and stay focused. If I read anything I pick up a magazine and read in small bursts as it’s easier to follow.

Unfortunately just another issue we have to deal with in this nightmare !!
Regards Sue

1 Like

I have found the opposite. Some of my physical activities are greatly reduced but in contrast some of my sedentary mental activities have increased alot.
Eg: this morning I was live on local radio talking about a local subject.
I have found keeping my mind active helps lift my mood. I also take part in another internet health related forum and that helps me to keep looking outwards.

2 Likes

Yes, I lost interest in reading and haven’t really read much since. I liked researching local history but couldn’t face it now. I have read Richard Osman’s two crime novels, but focus on cooking and baking, which I still enjoy and going out to visit gardens.

1 Like

Evening @DDMH. This is a poignant question. The grief for things lost is always in the back ground, and what we are able to do curbs what we do do. I couldn’t read due to vision issues for several months but stick to books now with simpler plots due to concentration and memory issues. I also find setting a routine to read a few pages daily is helpful as remembering one day to the next is easier than having big gaps. I still love reading though - I’m old school and need the book in my hands. I do watch TV but not like I did before- I feel generally disconnected with alot of stuff and find current affairs depressing. I still love gardening and spend hours outside everyday, as much through necessity as want but it keeps me occupied. During the winter I tried painting by numbers for the first time since I was a child on the suggestion of @Loshy on this forum which gave me a new interest and much enjoyment to fill my time. Be flexible, learn to adapt, find what works for you, but keep busy. Searching for happiness rarely bears fruit but finding happiness in what you do, however you do it, is a way forwards. All the best, Julia x

2 Likes

I too found I lost interest in things after my stroke and 7 months on I still have to a degree although it’s better than if was. I loved to read but struggle now. It’s a concentration issue I think. I do read short magazine articles now though.
I still make a jigsaw although it takes a lot longer than before. I’ve found a new hobby of colouring by numbers which I do enjoy.
Prior to my stroke I was a runner. Think I’m a long way off that but hope that one day I can again.
Give it time its still early days for you. X

1 Like

@Loshy @Mrs5K I found some interesting pop art painting by numbers kits online today I might try a Frieda Kahlo, her image has always appealed to me - thanks for the idea :pray:

1 Like

@DDMH they sound fab. Enjoy having a go & I look forward to seeing your first picture :blush:

1 Like

I think you must have a hobby are you be die . I love my hobby it keeps me laughing and happy everyday :relaxed: or not I will be :poop: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::joy::rofl::joy:

1 Like

I used to love a wide variety of books-now I escape in the feel good ty-pe.I love biographies though.-especially of older stars or celeb
rities.They help me recall a more active,fun loving past.Don’t worry ,gradually you will progress and adapt…e.njoying what life has to offer.At 89 I am beginning to bounce back!!Keep trekking.

4 Likes

For many years my main hobby was playing jazz guitar. I’ve played in small groups, big bands, dance bands and even busked.
My stroke 7 years ago took out my right hand, leg, and hit many other places on my right side. It was a year before I tried to get back to playing after inventing a plectrum that my right hand could hold.
The first time I looked at sheet music I saw lots of dots and sticks and things and knew they meant something but for the life of me could not decipher.
I play both guitar and keyboard again but with nothing like the skill I used to be able to muster, so my advice to anyone else in the same boat is just keep trying.
Deigh

4 Likes

I had my stroke 5 weeks ago and totally relate to this. I used to listen to music for hours now im bored after 5 mins and switching off. I perform at weekends as a singer at the moment i don’t think I’ll ever have the courage to do it again. :pensive: I keep telling myself I will and its a big driver for me but at present I just can’t see it.

Reading and TV are also just boring events for me now.

@Colindlynch it’s very early days for you yet. I really hope you manage to get back to singing. It’s a great goal to aim for.

2 Likes

It’s early days for both of us @Colindlynch I’m really hoping we will start to be interested in the things we used to love again soon.

I’m a few weeks ahead of you and I actually went to see The Specials last night at Rochester Castle - if I’m honest the whole weekend really took it out of me but I did manage to sing along to a couple of songs.

I also found a few music documentaries on the BBC iplayer that held my interest for a couple of hours so maybe some progress…

What kind of music do you sing?

Hiya

I was in a band for about 8 yrs but after lockdowns we split. I sang everything rock and pop covers.

Then I decided to try it alone and it went mental 4 gigs a week and working full-time is probably what gave me the stroke lol.

But I was loving it. I started doing a celebration of the music of Neil Diamond First Half and second was a mix a pop and soul with the odd rock tune lol.

Good you got to see the specials even if it took it out of you a bit at least it was worth it. I actually went for a few pints yesterday shock horror with some friends I had 3 pints lol. Was wrecked but boy it felt like I was normal again for a few hours

Good for you - I’m afraid I’m a lightweight and only managed a coca-cola :pray:

Your option the more healthy one lol :laughing:

1 Like

I do miss the ability to play like I used to do before my stroke. Music is very important to me. My main problem now is to find other musicians who will come around to jam with. Most guitarists these days just use the guitar as a backing instrument to their singing and have no interest in creating jazz.
Deigh

14 months in and I have little interest in anything. I would mainly read novels when relaxing in the sun and turn on a TV when there was absolutely nothing else to do.
Prior to stroke I had a collection of motorcycles which I rode regularly - travelled in my motorhome all over Europe and cycled and walked hundreds of miles every year. When home I would play golf 3 times a week and explore the Cornwall coast and countryside.
I had been a professional musician - (pianist and guitarist). Although I have recovered use of my left arm to 90%, I no longer have any interest in playing.
So to answer your question - yes it is incredibly hard to accept this new banal existence and if it wasn’t for the fact I have a lovely wife who would be devastated, I can honestly say that I wish I wasn’t a stroke “survivor”.
I will however try and come to grips with the TurboMed I have just bought (no support whatsoever from the NHS) and try and be able to get to walk to some places and do some things for my wife’s benefit.

1 Like