Instant Chat

It would be so nice to have an instant chat within the forum. To be able to see if someone is online and ‘talk’ albeit via typing can be so supportive at times. Is this possible, rather than leaving ‘messages’ and waiting until someone replies.
I have found these forums OK, but tough to navigate and over the years have used several platforms for different reasons, but find it ‘clunky’ having to move around a lot. Sometimes some of us, who are stuck at home a lot, just want a natter

3 Likes

Hi Crazicatapilla, great name! I find this this site very clumsy to navigate, I put up messages & hope for the best!
I to would like to be able to talk to someone, via typing. Someone who knows what I am talking about without having to relive the whole situation, which is over a year now & so much has happened. Talking to family & friends is great, but as like all things, you don’t understand unless you have personal experience.

I look forward to talking to you…

Roland

2 Likes

Hi there same here I just look around and see if I can find where I was chats would be nice

Hi . I am stuck at home and would love to chat. I agree with you comments made about someone to talk. to. Best wishes Lilian

Hi I’m a newbie stroke survivor of 10months it has taken me a long time to be able to do this emotionally so I would just like to say hi and that I don’t feel so isolated now

1 Like

Hi folks, I started this thread a while ago and so much has happened. Been fighting the Black Dog…it got really bad. (Am OK now thanks).
My husband has been ill for the last 3 months with an auto immune thing that has meant he can’t leave the house. It flares up from time to time. So things have been tough.
But some positives too. I started going to the gym twice a week to build up the strength in my legs. Am now also working on the upper body a bit too as I felt it was being neglected. Its only twice a week and that is just enough.

I fancied doing a bit of swimming…you know when you picture it in your head? You have this image of how you used to swim. I had a complete meltdown as I couldn’t even get my legs up to float!
Anyway, I have joined a group with a lovely teacher and on week 3 she got me floating with a noodle!
Week 4 and she added a backboard strapped on to me…and I started off with my 'seated swimming position and my body lunged forward to do breast stroke of about 10 yards!!!

I am so happy to be in the water. The group I go to has a variety of learners so I don’t feel embarrassed. gentle steps into the pool, and someone to check that I am OK and don’t fall.

2 Likes

Hi all,

Bit of an update on this conversation.

The latest update to the forum software included a brand new chat feature.

We’ve done some limited internal testing, just to make sure the software works as it says it does. And good news! It does! :slight_smile:

But now we need to try it out on a slightly larger stage. So we’re opening the feature up for a short trial period with users who have a trust level of 3 and higher.

So if you notice a new chat icon in the top right of your screen, please feel free to try it out. We’ve added some guidance on how to use it here. You can add any feedback to this topic.

For anyone who isn’t able to see the chat icon right now, please be patient. We’ll be releasing it to a wider group once we finish this round of testing and feedback.

4 Likes

hi @CommunityAdmin
i don’t see any chat icon on desktop or in_app (& i’m TL3* ) and y’r links(?) just show as bold txt

*- at least i have lounge access so i think so. “regular” = tl3 i think ! interesting that this thread is mostly “i find discourse hard”

1 Like

Hi @SimonInEdinburgh,

Thanks for letting us know.

Clement has had a look at the back-end system and he’s amended a few additional settings now.

If you refresh your browser now it should come up. However, if you find its still not showing up please do raise a ticket and we can take it from there.

Thanks,
Alex

1 Like

I’ve got the icon on my mobile. Great addition which may stop some threads going off topic.

3 Likes

It’s there now
So are the links

On first sight its use is not intuitive thou - any guidance short of the discourse.org forums (which only seem to talk about a july 22 beta) the links above dont seem to be a user guide

Also the onscreen Ui doesnt size sensible on my android dev.

1 Like

I joined a discord based stroke group yesterday (found via reddit r/stroke)
It has instant voice chat!
The journey into discord (a gamers social media platform) is not for the faint hearted but the facilities are out there is you search with Google etal
They unfortunately mean exploring the tech and some sub cultures but then stroke is a journey across the unknown from the moment it strikes!

1 Like

I ran a tweet chat last Tuesday. The guy who runs Stroke TV is very interested in using ‘Twitter Spaces’ which surprise surprise is a VOICE based.
A space for StrokeWarriors would be worth investigations

1 Like

How do you get level 3

See
https://blog.discourse.org/2018/06/understanding-discourse-trust-levels/