Insects, can anyone name this please?

Hi all, I found this crawling around our garden it looks like a big moth to be!

Then my neighbour found this in his garden caught in a spiders Webb. Do you think it’s the same creature?

1 Like

Wow, that picture at the top is of something that looks to be quite a beast. I’m no entomologist, I only recognise things like wasps, ladybirds and house flies, so can’t provide enlightenment I’m afraid.

The picture below that brings me sadness to view the fate of that once splendid moth, but it’s Nature I suppose and will supply many great hearty nourishing meals. Aaah me ! !

1 Like

It looks a bit like a Leatherjacket, which is the larval stage of daddy long legs.
Janet

2 Likes

Looks like something out of doctor who!

2 Likes

I have no idea what it is but am glad I didn’t see it crawling in my garden :rofl::rofl: xx

2 Likes

Hi everyone found out the name of the caterpillar and then moth! It’s a elephant hawk moth! It’s an odd caterpillar :bug:

2 Likes

Yay well done @Loshy
I’m still glad they’re not in my garden. :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Hi Loshy,

It’s the second time this week that I have seen someone asking this question. There must be more around than usual. The adult moth is the most wonderful colours. It’s always a privilege to see one in my garden. Sadly, I haven’t seen one yet this year.

1 Like

Yes a very good year for elephant hawk moths. Food plant usually willow herb but now because we all grow more fuchsia’s they have taken a liking to them, from the size of one in photo it wants to hide itself in surface soil and pupate I’d recommend putting it on soil surface covering it with a little leafmould and putting flowerpot over it for a few weeks to protect it from birds and beasties then mark spot with pebble so it’s undisturbed till it hatches next year.great to see it love them

1 Like

I had one of those in my garden few years back …but startling to look at and big … I looked for others as I couldn’t think there would be only one, but never found another …I put it into the garden where it could just carry on …

1 Like

Leather jackets are quite drab and up to about an inch long (ish) like this…proxy-image

1 Like

Hi Essex Phil can you believe your photo of leather jackets brought tear to my eye. The garden I worked in for 33 years use to open in spring for a few days for National Gardens Scheme, Easter time I’d spend days edging lawns,one year a female blackbird cottoned on there were good pickings to be had and kept me company for days flying backwards and forwards with beaksfulls of leather jackets for her young. Would even take them from my fingers. She was around till late autumn then disappeared but it was a brief but happy relationship. Thanks for the memory. Paul

2 Likes

Glad to be of service :sunglasses:

Love when birds learn like that. We had a Robin who would come down to the garden as soon as it heard the fork or spade going in the ground. Was really brave and often only inches away if you stood still!

Nature is wonderful, and never ceases to amaze :slightly_smiling_face: