Incfreasingly low

After my stroke at Christmas I see little improvement! I have a bit of movement in my left leg! My physio had got me standing and seems confident that she can get me walking with a quad stick! I am not sosure because although I can move my affected leg a little it seems very dead and heavy. My gphas refrrred me for counselling and increased my meds! Am feeling pretty desperate!!

Hello Jane,

It will take time. I had my stroke September 2020, six months on and improvement is so gradual and arbitrary. It can be immensely dispiriting at times, sometimes I feel like my symptoms will never subside. I keep a diary each day, nothing comprehensive but just notes on how I feel. It's way for me to see the bigger picture. Remember to do little often, I made mistakes on running the gauntlet a few times when I was duped into thinking I had made a major improvement and I went backwards about four steps, felt like I had just returned from hospital, it was awful, sent me to bed for almost two days straight. Concentrate on one issue at a time and seek out simple distractions to bypass rumination and dwelling on negatives. I say this but I know it is hard because even though I say it, I don't always function with my best advice in mind, we are only human afterall. 

Keep going and glad you are expressing yourself with us.

Rups

Always look for the positives. My stroke was different to yours, people wouldn't have known id had one unless they knew me, everything it affected was hidden - tiredness, struggles with light and noise. I'm a teacher. At 6 months I didn't think I'd be able to return to my old job. 2 years on I'm back in a classroom and gradually building up hours and responsibilities. Keep a diary, record all the positives and you'll start to see the little improvements happening. Good luck xx

Always look for the positives. My stroke was different to yours, people wouldn't have known id had one unless they knew me, everything it affected was hidden - tiredness, struggles with light and noise. I'm a teacher. At 6 months I didn't think I'd be able to return to my old job. 2 years on I'm back in a classroom and gradually building up hours and responsibilities. Keep a diary, record all the positives and you'll start to see the little improvements happening. Good luck xx

Thank you 

Jane, I'm afraid all improvements take time. It took me a good year to walk again and that was hesitant and stumbling. I still have to work on my gait every day and have an ankle support. My shoulder area on my stroke side still feels heavy and frozen, but maybe I don't use that side enough.

Stroke is the devil when it comes to moods. I still get lows and mornings when I feel I don't want to get up. Then I draw on the old strengths that have seen me through life so far and get on with it. Today, preparing our Saturday meal, is probably my hardest day of the week. It always requires an enormous effort, but I get there. Keep trying. My best wishes to you.

Thank you 

Dear Jane

it is very early days for you on your long journey of recovery.

it will speed progress if you are positive. 
look at what you can do and not at what you can not.

physios etc are an enormous help, but its really all down to you to effect your recovery.

Please do not refer to "my stroke". I am sure you did not want a stroke And did not choose what happened.

yes you will have very sad days and be "down". Try not to let depression get to you,it will slow up your recovery far too much.

You survived a stroke, that makes you a very special, chosen person.

smile a lot(do try this, it really does work). Be positive, lots of us are here for you

best wishes

colin

1 Like

Thank you 

Jane. Everything that has been said is so true. It is early days and everyone's stroke is different just as our brains are different. But you are a survivor so hold onto that. Try and set small goals to be achieved each day such as doing a few more steps.You need to try and be positive that you can walk with a quad stick. I was determined to achieve certain goals after I had my stroke even though I got some quizzical looks from the physios in hospital, but the early discharge physio understood and helped. I still do the exercises even if not as frequently 2 years and 4 months on. One thing my physio did say was that everything we do in 'normal life'is physio, which was really helpful. It is hard, but try and stay positive as that does help. Counselling for me after probably getting Covid a year ago and then a bout of anxiety was really helpful. Go girl! 

1 Like

Hi
You are still in the very early stages of recovery I felt little improvement for 6 months, and struggled with my weight loss and fitness after losing weight and concentrating on only getting as well As I could
2 years on exactly I can Walt in excassof a mile on flat and have lost significant weight all which makes me feel better.
So decide what you want (somthing that will stretch you not break you and go for it over time hope fully you will achieve your goal
Best of luck and never give up