I would like to make friends with other SS

Hi Nocola, my strokes were caused by hrt, rather than telling a story its easier to say that my prcoessor does not work properly, so edoverything I try to do, seeing, thinking concentration even walking is a no no, evertying our brain tells us to mine will do but causes pain, anxiety and fatiuge im never had in my previous life, but on the good side im still here and receive so much help from my daughters even though I still after 15 years upsets me.  I hope you are receiveing lots of help and encourange ment, keep up the good work.  Jenny

Happy New Year Colin,  I agree with everyting you have said,  One shoulkd never give up trying.  SS is left out because unless it blinding obvious they will look no futher if that makes sense?  I know the govenment and stroke have been talking and I look forward to the outcome and hopefully a vast improvement to our system

Thank you for your reply Jenny ,I'm recovering well was touch and go for a while because of my heart, a stroke is the unfortunate side effect ,my left side is definately stronger ,loss of sight in left eye could be permanent but will learn to live with that ,have great kids that help me but its very frustrating having to ask for help ,was very independent before, especially after separating from my husband ,but I'm sure things will get back to some kind of normality eventually x

Thank you Jenny x

Hi Sam

its just over 6 months since I had my stroke. It has been tough but the replies on this site really helped me. I’m starting a phased return which is hard, but even 6 weeks ago I couldn’t have imagined being able to do this. I hope you are making improvers. It takes time and don’t rush it - easier said than done. Jacquie 

Hi Nicola. I hope you are making  a good recovery. It takes time but things do improve. Jacquie 

Hi Chris

i have found the support from this site invaluable. Hope you are making improvements. Jacquie

Hi Jacquie ,I'm recovering well ,just have to remember there are still things I'm not able to do ,like crouching down to put shopping away in fridge ,found that out the hard way yesterday, did it without thinking and couldn't get back up ,had to be lifted up onto a chair ,very scary and embarrassing lol x

Hi Chris 

i had my stroke in September as well. I’m recovering well thanks to the NHS and fellow survivors on this site. 

I have been feeling good for a few weeks now and then this afternoon bang it all goes  downhill. This is what it is like and all you can do is rest. 

This is what others don’t understand, even people close to you. They don’t understand the fatigue, the short term memory issues, the short temper, the frustration....

Next week I’m being assessed for a return to work, I’m tired of being at home. I can’t wait to get back

I have increased exercise, walking places I’ve never been, swimming and so on. I do th light daily shopping and the cooking so my wife has a hot meal when she gets home from work. 

Despite this site being a bit clunky there is a terrific amount of support from great people here who understand 

sandy

Hi thank you for the message. Glad your feeling a bit better. I'm sick of home as well and have a meeting with my work health team soon. I want to get back to work, but I have a Drop foot and swollen fingers on my weaker left side. So that is holding me back a bit.  I  agree about the NHS being great, it as much them as me that I'm where I am with my recovery. There treatment, care and aftercare at home have been amazing. My wife has been a rock to. She does so much for Me. I try to do the dishes, hoover make tea lately I have tried ironing her clothes for her work. Cooking is a not a good thing for Me to try .I will drop it or poison her trying to cook. Anyway nice to hear from you. If you ever want to vent your frustration or just tell a tale or 2 about your experiences please do, I have some cracking tales to tell. Some embarrassing but funny as well. Bye 

Chris

Hello Chris!

It’s good that you have reached out to other Stroke Survivors. Having a stroke can leave you feeling bewildered, alone and fearful of the future. 

The good news, of course, is that the worst is now over - you survived something that kills many. You have a progressive condition that means that you are always improving.

Life has dealt you a setback but it could have been much, much worse.

As time passes, you will become more like the person you were before the Stroke.

It is 8 years since I had my stroke. I work full time, walk unaided, lift weights and travel internationally. Much of what I was told I would not do again, I have been able to do.

As part of that journey, I have been lucky to have the support, company and friendship of many Stroke Survivors. It has brought me a long way.

Get to know us on this Forum or reach out and join a local Stroke group: you’ll soon find you are anything but alone.

So, if anything is ever worrying you, or you wonder what the future will bring, just ask us.

Take care now,

Damian

Hi Chris, I’m a 17 month Survivor, have been medically retired from my role in our local hospital in the Operating Theatres. I miss my position.

My family are all fantastic in my recovery, although my wife forgets I’ve had a Stroke sometimes when she’s talking.

I support my local SA as a volunteer, this is beginning to really help in my recovery.

Ive also volunteered at the NSPCC within my area,I live in Jersey and this is helping with my cognitive issues as I need to be careful with my vocabulary.

Please reply.

John 1957

IVe visited the site a few times how do I make friends to I just reply to their comments due to COVID stroke clubs are closed I'm techno phobic learning but get frustrated when I come unstuck  the tips people give are very helpful still working on how to relax  the fatigue is something I struggle with but have to realise that the Brian wants a rest.

Hi Gillian , BINGO ! July 2019 , same as me . Lying in stroke unit , Worcester , almost below ground ! Roasting July heat , they got fans in .  Befor diagnoses had been walking in sun , thought it was heat stroke . Ever since my brain won't let me sit in sun / heat , I think it goes into panic mode . I use a tablet,  as opposed to a laptop,  with a key board , this almost suggests the words & I find easier . Unusually tablet  , tv not too bad,  telephone calls, speaking, reading / BAD fatigue ( sends me back to bed ). Not sure how ? But yes anytime send me message. Good talking David.  Ps .spoke to brother in law, other day , before hanging up said love you , I think he thought I had gone mad . Some people just do not get it . ? .