How do people aged 20-55 describe their occupational identity following stroke?

You are invited to take part in this master’s level research study being carried out by a student at the University of Derby as part of their Master’s degree in Occupational Therapy, which is aiming to explore the lived experiences of young people who have had a stroke and how this impacts their identity.

General information

The number of younger people experiencing strokes is increasing, meaning more young people are experiencing the many different life changing impacts it can have, including changes to how you do your daily activities such as washing, dressing and cooking, or hobbies such as leisure activities or work.

I would like to understand how these changes to daily life have also affected you and your identity, so that health care professionals can understand the different needs of young people who have had a stroke and how this can help aid recovery.

What to expect

• A participant information form, detailing everything you will need to know about this study.
  • A consent form to complete.
  • A demographics form to complete.
  • The researcher will contact you to arrange an interview date and time
  • Interviews will take place on Microsoft Teams

Eligibility

Anybody aged 20 to 55 who has had a confirmed ischaemic or haemorrhagic stroke diagnosis in the past ten years

How to get in touch

If you are interested in taking part in this study, please read and complete the following forms linked below and send to 100425212@unimail.derby.ac.uk along with your interest to participate.

Please feel free to get in touch if you have any questions.

Links to forms:

Further contact information:

Researcher:
Name: Alicia Lancashire
Email: 100425212@unimail.derby.ac.uk

Supervisor:
Name: Alison Kerr
Email: a.kerr@derby.ac.uk

1 Like

Hi Loshy, I’m Dan, the Research Involvement Lead at the Stroke Association :wave: I support collaborations between people working and living with stroke to shape research together (I talk more about that in the final two paragraphs).

Really sorry you’re outside the parameters for this study. Researchers think very carefully about their inclusion criteria so there’s usually very good reasons behind any restrictions, which are related to the specific scope of their research question.

We know that scope doesn’t always reflect the real world and we do what we can but trust the thorough university processes that the research goes through. Trials such as this will have gone through a lot of steps before being granted permission.

A way we try to help make sure the scope of research questions and studies are designed to include and reflect the experience of people affected by stroke is through our active ‘research involvement’ programme.

This includes Stroke Voices in Research, a group of people affected by stroke who sign up for opportunities to shape research together with researchers and make sure these criteria and other considerations reflect the real world. Do let me know if you’re interested in more information!

If you’re interested in taking part you’re very welcome to email the researcher Alicia Lancashire to check at 100425212@unimail.derby.ac.uk.

No problem, do let me know if you have any questions, especially about how we support collaborations between people affected by stroke and researchers to shape research and how it’s designed.

1 Like

Me too , it is tough isn’t it?