Housebound one year

Hello

I had my stroke in January 2021 and am still housebound due to errors and failures in adult social care. I live on my own apart from my cat. How do you cope with the isolation and loneliness. I have only been out 3 times this year for medical appointments. I also have ongoing health issues which I had before the stroke. Any help appreciated. Thanks

2 Likes

I could make sympathetic noises but you need a bit more than that don’t you?
It is only a few months since I joined those who had experienced a stroke so my experience is limited.
I would hesitate to make suggestions, but you will find others here who will respond. Communication is a good way to start and here is as good a place as any to sound off and get some response.

if you need any help or would like to talk, please let us know.

even i have a family but i still feel lonely. because it is draining to explain to them how i feel and what i am going through. and most of them i can not find the strength to go out to see the family or for anything. do not feel lonely you just need to find the right person or group so you can share how are you really feeling.
would love to hear from you.

@Kyra_R sorry to hear about your stroke & that you’re feeling isolated. It’s awful being housebound & I think loss of independence is difficult for all.
This forum is a great place to reach out to people. I wonder if there are any stroke support groups local to you? You may be able to get transport to them…your local council might be able to help. Our local council, during covid, set up some wellbeing champions who would look in on people who were alone or needed help. It may be available in your area too.
I think the Stroke Association will also set up “buddy” calls. Not sure of the name. Give them a try. Hope you manage to find something yo help xx

Hi @Kyra_R , welcome to the forum, you’ve made the first step to help with the loneliness by posting on here! I think you will find it helps to talk on here to people with similar experiences (it certainly has helped me).
As others have said joining video zoom calls can be really helpful too. I am 11 months on from my stroke and back at work but I still join the fortnightly 45 minute “Zoom Café” calls that are arranged by the Stroke Association" because I find them so beneficial. I’m not shy in coming forward when/if it goes a bit quiet but I’ve seen new people join that initially just listen and slowly start saying a bit before eventually becoming very chatty. It is definitely recomended!
Keep posting on here and I think you will find it helps a little with the lonlyness. Remember from small acorns…
Hope to hear from you soon.
Mark

1 Like