Holidays

Hi Everyone My husband and I have set ourselves a challenge for 2023. We are considering hiring a motor home and travelling to France in June. It all feels very scary. Currently doing lots of research. It’s not the sort of holiday I would have chosen before my stroke but it’s an alternative to flying so will see what the research comes up with.

Looking back, I remember in my early recovery days thinking we would never be able to go abroad again but here we are, having been abroad on a number of occasions. Never say Never.

We would be interested to hear from anyone has done this, good or bad. Look for to hearing your thoughts.

Regards Sue

2 Likes

@Susan_Jane great to hear you’re planning this trip. It should be great.

I haven’t been away in a motor home post stroke but have flown twice with very few issues.

Really hope your research bears fruit.

Ann xx

1 Like

sounds exciting!
i guess how yr stroke affects u will be a unique factor to you.
i wouldn’t expect any issues for my impacts except i wouldn’t yet be sharing the driving so i guess we’d plan short hops & a day or two between

if you find a good and reasonable cost source then pls let us know!! :smile:

We went to France in August ,not in a motorhome though ,we stayed in a static,we drove from Lincolnshire to Plymouth then to the west coast of France for 10 days and back again with only me driving did about 1200 miles and had a great time ,plenty of walking and swimming,I even took my metal detector with me .France is great for motorhomes ,you’ll have a great time .

Shwmae @Susan_Jane, I have never done this but I say go for it. You’ll probably surprise yourself how well you will cope and enjoy the distractions. Stimulating the brain with new things can be a great benefit. :grin:

Hi Everyone, thanks for your thoughts and encouragement. We’re thinking of hiring a wheelchair accessible motorhome, I don’t use a wheelchair but accessible vehicles appear to be larger and have larger showers and wet rooms, which I need as I need help with personal care. Feeling quite excited at the prospect, especially as I’m here on my tablet looking at the rain pouring down in the garden.

Regards Sue

2 Likes

Hi Lorraine, we have not yet decided on our route or final destination, just know it will be somewhere in France. My brother and sister in law live in Spain and will be travelling from Costa del Sol in their motorhome and we are meeting up with them in France. Will definitely be stimulating the brain with new and exciting experiences.

Regards Sue

1 Like

Thanks Lorraine, I’m making lists and organising as we speak :slightly_smiling_face: regards Sue

1 Like

@Susan_Jane oooo i’m excited for you. Sounds like it’ll be great especially meeting up with family. Never even knew you could get accessible motor homes but sounds like a very good idea.

Look forward to hearing how it all goes xx