Holidays & fatigue

Take care - and richest blessings! X :wink:

2 Likes

Weā€™ve just returned from cruising around the Canary Islands and then a week to ā€˜recoverā€™ in Tenerife. It sounds sublime but I found it tiring. Itā€™s just over 3 years since my very slight stroke with 2 tiaā€™s to follow. I consider myself very lucky as I have no outward signs but the fatigue is something else and of course ā€˜invisibleā€™! I found extra short naps during the day helped and like others, having ā€˜days offā€™ . I will say that a cable car ride up Mt Teide knocked me out for a whole day . I do feel refreshed and Iā€™m glad I went but I will not be as adventurous on the next holiday. :sunglasses:

Hi, I have travelled abroad twice since my stroke in Feb 2017 and cannot praise the special assistance service both here and in Malaga highly enough.

I use a small mobility scooter and it has been a godsend.

Good luck with your travels everyone. Weā€™re planning to travel to Spain in June with our children and grandchildren. Itā€™s a belated 60th birthday celebration that should have happened in 2020 !!

Regards Sue

2 Likes

Have a good time Sue

@Rosterward I love cruising but always found it tiring even before my stroke. I.hope to cruise again one day but think it might be a bit ambitious right now. I have previously been up Mt Teide (not on cable car) and thought it was amazing. Almost worth getting tired for. I am definitely planning short naps and lazy days whilst Iā€™m away. :blush:

@Susan_Jane I think I am going to book special assistance for my upcoming trip. Have been in touch with my holiday company today for info. Think itā€™ll make all the difference as this will be first time travelling since my stroke.

Thank you everyone for all your advice & sharing your experiences. I have bitten the bullet & requested airport assistance. Quite a big deal for me as Iā€™ve always been little miss independent. Have to say I am starting to look forward to this holiday a bit more now although still a little concerned about fatigue.

3 Likes

@Loshy thank you.:blush: Not going till May but thatā€™s not that far away now I guess.

1 Like

enjoy your trip and your birthday

1 Like

Airport assistance is wonderful, usually works 100% and everyone is so helpful and you get through all the checks and barriers without any problem. Used for my husband who lived with dementia and Iā€™d always use it for me now 2 years SS with mobility problems.

@UniH thank you thatā€™s great to hear. I feel less anxious about it all now its booked.

Hi there, Iā€™ve just returned from Lanzarote after 10 days of sun and lounging by the pool. We , my wife 3 other friends and me, went with Jet 2 as a package, I had my latest stroke in December, left me extremely weak and lacking coordination and confidence but I needed to get out and about so we went. I cannot fault jet 2, all aspects of their care to me and the rest of our party ( four of us needing wheelchairs) but we went via Manchester Airport they were hopless bothways, not enough staff, the staff we had were marvelous on the return we had just one assistance person for 4 in wheel chairs she was almost running herself ragged, coping with 4 chairs and all our luggage, at one stage pushing two chairs with a suitcase being pulled along by me in the wheelchair it was a disgraceful showing by a major airport.

The holiday as arranged by JET 2 was well worth our trouble canā€™t praise the company enough but the airport and their treatment of fully notified disabled travellers was a disgrace and must be condemned, I will be contacting the mayor of Manchester by email as soon as I can get my brain to work the words properly. GO JET 2 BUT USE ANOTHER AIRPORT

All the best, enjoy yourself whenever you can. Do whatever you can, keep as well as you can. As they say in Star Trek " LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"

Allan

Hi @Allan_4389 thank you for your reply. I am going from Machester Airport :scream: but with TUI. I am hoping they get their act together by the time I go. They do seem to be in a bit of chaos at the minute.
Glad you enjoyed your holiday despite your airport experience. Take care

I am due to go on a cruise with P and O in July on Bretania, its a huge ship and I am getting a bit worried about getting about on the :ship: ship. I get fatigued quite a lot, I have some mobility issues has anyone had this problem and can give any advice

@Allan_4389 I havenā€™t been on a cruise since my stroke but have been previously. The ships Iā€™ve been on are smaller than the Britannia but I should imagine a larger ship has more facilities for this with mobility issues. Have you contacted them to notify them of your mobility issues? This link takes you to details on their accessibility offer.

I would advise taking advantage of anything they offer even if you think you might not need it. Cruise can be busy so can take a lot out of you but no reason you canā€™t enjoy it still.

Enjoy your cruise. Iā€™m jealous :blush: love cruising.

Well I made it on my 50th birthday holiday :partying_face::partying_face::partying_face: for anyone thinking of going away but are not sure Iā€™d say go for it. You always find a way to deal with most situations.
We put a few things in place to help manage the fatigue e.g. Night before flight at airport hotel, assistance at airport. These worked well & I am very glad I booked airport assistance.
I did have a couple of days fatigue but resting on a sunbed is much nicer than on a sofa :grin: Iā€™m not able to walk far without getting very tired so we limited the walking about we did. I did overdo it one night but if you donā€™t give it a go you donā€™t know. Where we stayed was disabled friendly so lots of lifts, flat around resort etc. I used the hotel pool to do my physio exercises which I think has helped as can now lift my leg a bit higher & donā€™t drag my foot quite as much. Because of my sensitive hearing we found an outside space to sit & listen to the entertainment which worked well although never made it to the end of a show.
It was a relaxing rather than active holiday but just what Dr ordered.
I am exhausted now Iā€™m home but worth it.
Thanks for all your advice. :parasol_on_ground::parasol_on_ground::parasol_on_ground::parasol_on_ground::parasol_on_ground::sun_with_face::sun_with_face::sun_with_face::sun_with_face::sun_with_face::sun_with_face:

4 Likes

@Loshy hi Loraine, go for it. Itā€™ll be worth it.
We flew from Manchester to Palma, Majorca. The assistance at Manchester was great. Palma not quite so but I think part of that was me being impatient.
I was quite anxious about flying but it was ok. I found the noise of the aircraft difficult & the screaming kids on our return flight. Take some earplugs :grin:
The temperature was between 25 & 30 degrees whilst we were there. I coped ok but did spend a bit of time under the sun umbrella.
Youā€™ll have a fab time Iā€™m sure. Look forward to hearing all about where youā€™re going :grin: xx

@Loshy that sounds lovely. Iā€™ve never been to Rhodes but my sister says itā€™s lovely.
We went half board but if youā€™re planning on staying in or around the hotel all inclusive is a good option. I am not a big drinker but non alcoholic drinks are just as expensive as alcoholic ones. I did have a couple of small glasses of cava when away as hotel provided a bottle of cava & Chocs for my birthday so thought itā€™d be rude not to drink it :rofl::rofl:
I look forward to hearing how you got on :parasol_on_ground::parasol_on_ground::parasol_on_ground::parasol_on_ground::sun_with_face::sun_with_face::sun_with_face::sun_with_face: exciting :grinning: xxxx

1 Like

Hi @Mrs5K , sounds like you had a lovely time. Glad to hear it all went well. The only holiday I have planned for this year is a 4 day break in Wales with a trip over to Skomer island to see the Puffins which Iā€™ve always wanted to do . Fingers crossed we will have reasonable weather. Iā€™m hoping Rups will make sure the sun comes out for me :ok_hand::partly_sunny:.
Hope @Loshy has a lovely holiday too

1 Like

Have a lovely holiday. We only have a couple of days in Cambridgshire planned but I think that will be enough

1 Like