Hobbies

Up until my stroke (8 months ago) my 2 main hobbies were music (I couldn’t play at first with my left hand – I can now following lots of exercise) and horse racing. I have been passionately interested in the latter since I was a child. Even working in a betting shop when I was younger (as soon as I was 18), part-owning a racehorse later in life, and working for one of the main employers in the industry when in my 50s. Since my stroke I am even more passionate about music (listening and playing) but lost all interest in horse racing. I used to video all TV races and watch them later and up until this year (after 55 years), always watched the Grand National live. I didn’t this year. And in fact, hardly seen a race or read my weekly or monthly mags on the subject. Just can’t be bothered and couldn’t care less. Weird! Anyone else had this effect of losing interest in a hobby post stroke?

@Retrokeyplayer music is also a hobby of mine. I play clarinet and treble recorder. Neither of which I have touched since my stroke. I also enjoyed reading and jigsaw puzzles. I have not been able to read due to concentration issues but I am still making my puzzles - part of my physio. It’s slow going but doing a little bit most days. I have however taken up a new hobby of colouring (thanks to Loraine’s @loshy suggestion). As for my running I guess that might take a while longer to get back to :running_woman:

Hi Retrokeyplayer, I’m sure there will be lots of us who have had something similar. I was a great reader before the stroke, mainly thrillers by the likes of John Grisham and Michael Connelly etc but found I couldn’t get interested in them post stroke. It’s now 4 years since the stroke and I’m reading and enjoying books again. It takes me longer to finish a book and I often have to read the last page I read the previous day again to remind me what happened but I guess I’ve picked it up again and I’m enjoying reading again. Give it time I’m sure you’ll pick it up again. I also used to read the newspaper every day but I’ve found that harder to pick up again, tend to just glance at it really.
Ann

As a serious jazz guitar player it took me some years to get back to being able to handle and play the instrument again…though rather badly by comparison with the old days.
My other major interest was trout fishing but I’ve had to give this away since any decent sized trout in New Zealand would probably drag me into the water and would have me praying it believed in ‘catch and release’.
Deigh

1 Like

Hello @Retrokeyplayer . I was an avid crafter, knitting, crochet, sewing but post stroke between my eyesight and dodgy left hand I felt really robbed of the skills I had worked on for years and the pleasure I got from it. I adapted to tapestry using a magnifying glass and just being in touch with wool again was good. I too tried new hobbies - painting by numbers is now a near obsession (thank you again for the idea @Loshy). I think the ability to switch off and concentrate on something you find creative and pleasurable is priceless. I left hospital in September after 7 weeks and as a passionate gardener, felt I had lost the summer. I was incredibly weak and felt unable to do anything but look and see what I’d missed. I make a point of watching Gardener’s World every Friday but I couldn’t watch it because it was too upsetting. This spring I looked forwards to the series starting again as I now feel part of it and not just an observer. Things can change. There is nothing I cannot achieve in the garden, either with adaptation, determination, asking for help, accepting it may not be perfect but at least practical and functional. Glad you still have your music, never say never though, no-one knows what the future holds, Julia

1 Like

Shwmea @Retrokeyplayer, I had the opposite. I threw myself back into my hobbies, and even revived some of my long-forgotten childhood hobbies like lead figure miniature painting. I also rewatched all the pleasurable childhood series I used to enjoy like Worzel Gummidge, Catweazle, and The Goodies. I think I did this because I was incapable of addressing the “real world”, and oddly have become a little misanthropic as a result. Neurological-fatigue did get in the way, it’s very hard to muster the hwyl to do something even remotely pleasurable when the brain has expended all its resources, and the body concurs. Some things I have left aside, I don’t watch the news anymore and once passionate conversations about topical events with friends are now detestable, I’d rather talk about something trifling. All grand projects have been vanquished from my mind and I only focus on the little things now. I used to binge watch some contemporary television programmes, but now have no interest. However, brewing my wine and cider, and gardening has kept me going. I hope you rediscover some of your interests or manage to find new ones that bring you delight and comfort.

I used to watch lots of television particularly dramas, I just can’t muster the energy i’d need to concentrate, I have fell back in love with music again, I pretty much have something playing from before I’m out the bed. Also enjoying exercising pity not losing any weight, they found and treated a cyst when I had the stroke which solved a lot of stomach problems for me and now means i enjoy more food!
I also usually watch the national every year but gave this one a miss, hope you manage to get back into your hobbies in the future.

I’m also not able to concentrate on books or t.v mystery thrillers. Have been a bookworm from the age of 5. It’s exactly a year today since my stroke and I’ve only read one book in the whole year. I did actually get interested with a programme about Chernobyl which was the first bit of serious tv I’ve watched. My goodness I watch some rubbish that’s on now. Nice to know I’m not the only one.

4 Likes

[quote=“Loshy, post:2, topic:28983”]
try new things. Best wishes Loraine :blush:
[/Hi Retrokeyplayer same with me a year on. Lost all interest in tv and fiction and can’t connect with lots of other things. But now can watch wildlife and gentle comedies. Can read non fiction on subjects I have knowledge about so it’s easier on the old Noggin mainly countryside books and diaries.Gardening which was my profesion and my passion has kept me afloat but I seem to be an outsider,but at last can motivate myself to potter,motivation was a big stumbling block and was told this was part of stroke. Never was a jigsaw fan but now will try one I’ve been given.After an exhausting struggle now if I pace myself can complete simple sudoku and occasionally a moderate one but much swearing and rubbing out :thinking::hugs: I’m sure something will take you by surprise and get you going again. Good Luck. Pds

2 Likes

I was an avid reader, reading 2-3 books a week. I have read only 1 book since my stroke, took me twice as long as had to read each page sometimes twice. The information doesn’t sink in. the same with hospital letters, I have to read those 2-3 times before i have processed what it is saying

@chris67 I have found I can’t read books at minute. I have tried but like you have to re-read everything I’ve managed just 1 page of a book since my stroke 5 months ago. Used to read loads like you. Hoping I can get back to it when I’ve conquered my concentration issues and eliminate the headaches I get when I concentrate on anything.

1 Like

hi I too do painting by numbers, I can paint and forget everything. before too long hours have drifted by. I still my crafting, as I found that card making was good for my finger dexterity

1 Like

Thanks, @pds. I look forward to my interest returning at some point. All the best.

Thanks @Sharon_B. My GP surgery have a discounted scheme for getting fit with a local gym. I am trying that and see if it works!

Thanks @Rups.

Lets hope!

1 Like

Dont give up on the woodwind playing @Mrs5K . After my stroke (8 months ago), I couldnt use my left arm/hand/leg, so keyboard playing seemed out of the question. But with lots of rehab and my own practice sessions on getting my fingers to work independently on the keys and re-learnng how to form chords, I am now back in the 2 bands I was with beforehand - had a concert today (a church event) with one of them (instrumental group for retired musicians), and a first rehearsal back with my rock band, last week - a festival beckons in 4 weeks. There’s always hope!

1 Like

@Retrokeyplayer good to hear you’ve gone back to your music and the bands you were in. Hope your concert went well today. And a festival too. That’ll be fab. I intend to get back to my music once I am able to. My fingers work ok so will be able to form the notes just need to get rid of my dizzy spells so I can actually play the clarinet :grin:

I’ve found if I can I buy books with short chapters. I’m reading the Whistler by John Grisham at the moment and I’m trying to read at least a chapter each day but don’t always succeed. I haven’t read that much since the stroke and it’s taken a couple of years to get to where I am now, I also watched the programme about Chernobyl , it was interesting but like a lot of us I’ve found concentrating is a bit hit and miss. Hope you get back to reading soon.
Ann

I’m actually on holiday with some friends in Spain for a month. Weather not marvellous so actually reading slowly and enjoying it. No day to day pressures I expect.

1 Like

Oh how lovely have a relaxing time. Shame the weathers not that good but it will do you good to be away for a while.
Ann

1 Like