Hi just introducing myself and looking for some words of wisdom

Hello.
A week ago I woke up and noticed my mouth was numb and I couldn’t smile properly. I went to my local hospital,had CT scan and got told I’ve had a very mild stroke. A bleed on the brain apparently. Was sent home immediately afterwards with no medication, which surprised me. Got home and felt terrified to be honest. I know nothing about strokes at all but it sounds so very serious. Got another scan this coming week. A more detailed one. Realise I don’t know anything about what I can and can’t do ,for example have a dentist appointment and can’t open my mouth properly still. Is it even safe to go? I was told not to drive but that was it really.
I know many people on here will have had much worse to deal with, but wondered if anyone else had been through a similar experience? It seems to have happened out of the blue. I have low blood pressure,stopped smoking 10+ years ago,don’t drink much alcohol but have had a lot of stress in recent months at work. Wondering if that caused it.
Feeling very alarmed and shocked as not sure if I will get any answers or where I will get them. Thanks for reading my story so far.

1 Like

@Sarah59 welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you’ve had a stroke. Having a stroke is a big thing, however “mild” you’re told it is. Being sent home like you were must be even more worrying as you have no idea what caused it and whether it will happen again. Hopefully the scan you have this week will provide some further answers for you. I would assume if you needed medication you would have been given some but they might just be waiting until you’ve had the 2nd scan so they treat you correctly.
In relation to your dentist appointment if it was me I would postpone it for now, unless it’s for urgent treatment.
Try not to worry (easier said than done I know) as worrying will make you feel worse. If you’re very worried contact your GP and get them to go through things with you. You could also speak to someone from the Stroke Association who may be able to put your mind at rest until you’ve been for your next scan.
Take care

Ann x

1 Like

Thank you @Loshy and @Mrs5K for your kind words and replies.
It’s a CT scan with dye I’m getting this week and if that doesn’t show anything up,I will get an MRI scan afterwards.
I will cancel the dentist! Not urgent.
It’s been such a terrible shock and I am really worried and know that won’t help. Thank you for your support. It’s nice to know this forum exists :slightly_smiling_face:
Sarah

2 Likes

@Mahoney thank you! I will try to get an appointment with my GP asap.
You’re right it is a massive shock! And I guess it’s only been a week but im trying to get as much information as I can ( without scaring myself)
Thank you for replying.

2 Likes

Hi @sarah59,
Like you I had a couple of TIA’s last week. Completely out of the blue. I also had a numb, tingly face and mouth right sided. And my right arm. Couldn’t speak properly. I had CT whilst I was in A&E the second time. No blockages in head or neck so thought to be because of a clot as I have A fib. The only information I was given was about driving so trying to find out if how I’m feeling now is normal or not. I agree so scary, so left in a state of shock. At the moment feel like I’ll never feel like me again.

Hello @Waddy and sorry to hear you’ve had a terrible shock too. I agree the lack of information given adds to the sense of shock and helplessness.
I’m taking it very easy this week before my next scan and do actually feel a bit better as a result. My mouth is still affected ( l h side) bit feels a wee bit better. When I try to smile I can see the l h side of my face isn’t functioning properly. At least it hides my wrinkles on one side of my face though!!
I hope you can take it easy and try to relax. I’m trying to just take each day as it comes as anything else is too hard at the moment. Thinking of you and hope you can find some help on this forum. It is a totally overwhelming experience to go though and I think we just need to be very kind to ourselves right now! Sarah x

1 Like

@sarah59 I agree. At the minute I don’t have the energy to do much but I suppose that’s normal. Outwardly I just look a bit pale and tired but I just wish the dizziness would settle. Hope your tests give you some answers and best of luck on your recovery x

1 Like

@Waddy the exhaustion is normal. Listen to your body and be kind to yourself. Sounds like you’re doing that already. I was given some betahistine tablets for my dizziness on my 2nd visit to hospital. Worth asking your GP for something maybe?

1 Like

Hiya, Sounds like you’ve had a very nasty shock. I had a mild stroke last year in March after two TIAs a few days apart which were scary and confusing, and I ended up spending 9 days in hospital (feeling incredibly dizzy and unable to walk as my left leg would not hold my weight) whilst waiting to have an MRI scan. My first scans showed I’d had a stroke but there was no bleeding so I was told I’d probably make a full recovery. 16 months on, my mobility has been restored but I’m only about 80% with my balance.
If you’ve been discharged, I can only assume that it’s safe to do so but the new scans and MRI will tell your doctors (and you!) more. As others have said, try not to worry (if possible) and ask for help from your GP if anything else bothers you.

1 Like

Thanks @Pam258 for your message. It has been a terrible shock I have to say. Out of the blue and with no warning really except some weird tingling feeling on my face but think that may have been when the bleed was actually happening.
I’m glad Im getting the next scan so quickly and hoping it will give me some answers.
I’ve hardly left the house since it happened and I know that isn’t good for me but I do feel really scared in case something else happens. I know that is a hurdle I will need to get over.
Sounds like you have made a good recovery. It’s encouraging for us newbies to hear that. Thank you! Sarah

Yes, don’t worry- there is light at the end of the tunnel! The key thing for you is finding out why it happened and then preventing it from happening again. The scans and your doctors will figure it out for you.
My cause was high cholesterol because I hadn’t been on the right medication. I am now and my level has dropped so I’m hoping that if I keep taking the tablets, I’ll be trouble free. Crossing fingers etc.

1 Like

Dear Sarah

I am an old timer in years and in the time since I had a stroke. First thing I would do is to ask at the GPs for a copy of your diagnosis. No need to ask the GP, the staff should do this for you. If you had a transient stroke, then you should be OK. No permanent damage. I do hope that is the case. Then you would be wise to gently start on a regime to ensure nothing worse happens. Diet, exercise and maybe some relaxation classes. I do hope it was a TIA and not a full stroke, but either way there is life ahead for you.

very best wishes

Colin

4 Likes

Dear @Colin ,

Thank you for your reply. This is such a nice friendly place to have found.
I did get a copy of the letter from my consultant and it says I have had a " right frontal lobe intracerebral hemorrhage" . They can’t tell me why yet but I had another CT scan yesterday and am waiting for the results. It just all feels so scary. My mouth has been affected and is a bit lopsided although does seem to be getting a bit better. Been two weeks now since it happened. I can smile a wee bit now.
I’ve decided to just try to take each day as it comes for now. Thank you for taking the time to reply and nice to meet you!
Sarah

3 Likes

Hello Sarah,
you have come to the right forum for discussion about your stroke, do not be afraid to ask anything the members of this forum I have found are very helpful and resourceful. I have found with stroke victims that assistance and help from your local hospital trusts and councils vary and not all have the same resources. When you do go and discuss your stroke with any department have a list of questions you want to ask no matter how trivial, also ask about what assistance you can have to aid your independence and recovery. With the immediate problem you have, I have found using vibrating equipment such as a small motorized toothbrush has helped me with the numbness I get occasionally in my mouth also ask to speak to a member of the speech and language department they will give you some useful information. One thing my wife always says is that of all the things to get back first it had to be my voice and mouth movement not too sure what she meant by that.

good luck

John

3 Likes

Hello John
Thank you for replying to my message. Your last wee bit did make me laugh!
I’ve found this forum such a welcoming place at a difficult time.
I’m pleased to see my mouth is definitely looking a bit less lopsided now. Still not back to normal yet but it is definitely better than a few weeks ago so that’s promising.
I’m still waiting to hear back from the consultant about next steps.
Best Wishes to you,
Sarah

Hi my name is Diana I have been reading people’s comments about life after a stroke but have only now felt able to join in. I had a stroke at the end of July this year. All I was doing was watching the tv. After MRI scan found I’d had 2 mini strokes recently before the Stroke. I feel so anxious and depressed all the time. My relationship with my partner is very traumatic and he shows me no support or much care at all. Last year we moved from the south to Lincolnshire to retire but 24/7 is too much for us. We have different hobbies so I feel lonely leaving friends and family behind. Have made a couple of new friends. I am not allowed to drive yet so feel very isolated. I have 2 small dogs so have always been very active, healthy and fit. I feel so sad how everything has had to change and I find it hard to be positive and carry on. Has anyone else felt like this with post stroke fatigue?

Welcome @Chanti although sorry to hear youre feeling this way. Moving away is difficult at any time but following a stroke must be extra difficult. For people who aren’t used to being together 24/7 retiring together is a massive adjustment. Made all the more difficult for you after your stroke. The stroke association have a here for you service where they can arrange for someone to call up and chat. You can just call their helpline & they’ll sort it for you. They also do online activities which you can join in if you want to. Not sure if there are any local stroke groups that you could attend too.
If takes time to adjust to the new you after a stroke & its almost like grieving for the you you’ve lost. It gets easier in time as you adjust to your new capabilities. Hope things settle for you soon. Theres always an ear on this forum if you need advice or just want to rant.
Best of luck x

I too have retired quite suddenly after my stroke and you are right, being togetuher 24/7 is hard work! We are fortunate in having two TVs and tend to watch very different programmes. I am also lucky in that I can walk a bit and live in beautiful, if wet, countryside in the West of Scotland so I can get away for a short while at least. I can legally drive, but am having some problems with my eyesight and have no car so it is the bus for me. I felt quite wobbly on it at first but now enjoy catching it and having some time away. Is bus travel an option for you?

1 Like

Hi Diana,we’re always here for you.I had issues similar to yours at the beginning, I was very much WHY ME??My wife and me had a massive row because I was feeling sorry for myself.Coming on to the forum has very much helped me get through each day.I found writing a daily log on how I feel and what have I achieved has really helped……Good luck​:v::v::v:

Hi Diana Yes it’s difficult coming to terms with things post stroke and what your going through is unfortunately what many on here have experienced. Keeping a diary is good advice and work out ways of staying positive, easier said than done . What a position to be in. Hope there are a few people living around you that could give you some support. Is there a group you could attend near you. You have to believe things will get better what ever your situation. For Over two years this forum has been a great help to me. Don’t forget the Stroke Association has a Here for You phone call support service. Someone who will phone you each week for chat and can give you advice. Keep posting here, your one of us now. Paul

1 Like