Hi I am another new member?‍?

Hi, my name is Sandy, I had a stroke in June this year, I was starting to recover but recently have been hit with Anxiety, especially at around bed time.

Subsequently not being able to sleep much,which is making me very emotionaland even more fatugued. Has anyone also experienced this, and could offer any advice please?

Dear Sandy

emotionality, anxiety and fatigue are common amongst stroke survivors.

do read the stroke assocation booklets, which outline the issues.

try to look at what you can cope with. 

good sleep is a huge benefit. I spent months and months before i started to get good sleep. I kept a light on. Changed the matress and used five pillows. I then used a little machine called a tinnitus relaxer. It plays white noise under a choice of sounds. I liked the sea splashing. It switches itself off after a half hour, at which time i had nodded off.

do try relaxation techniques. They help a lot.

do get some exercise. Walking is good.

above all, smile a lot. False , forced, fake or real. It will make a difference.

be positive. Look at what you can do, as opposed to what you can not.

you are not alone. Lots of us are here for you

colin

Hi Sandy,

I had the same experience. Like Colin I used assorted strategies to help with the anxiety. I listen to videos on YouTube. Nothing exciting furniture made out of palettes, furniture restoration. Just something with someone talking in the background. 

One of the other S.S's on this site told me about pillow sprays containing lavender and camomile. It was brilliant and I also discovered body butter and shower gel to match. 

When I get stressed I get out of bed sit in a chair in my bedroom, read a book then when I feel ready I go back to bed. 

These worked for me.

Lastly after discussion with my GP I take a small dose of an antidepressant. 

Hope you find what works for you. But know you are already a winner you survived your stroke and are on your road to recovery 

Best wishes 

Kay (my stroke March 2018)

Hi Kay,

Thank you for your time in replying to me.I will take on board what you have tried,I find at the moment that no two days are the same for me,some where I can do things,others where I just have brain fog. Not sure about sleep tablets but I do need something to occupy these times.I have tried a calm spray last night, present from my daughter,which helped,see what happens tonight, meantime thanks again

Sandy.

Hi Colin,

Thanks for your time and comments. At the moment I find it difficult to take things in,not sleeping correctly!

And also the war that is going on outside. I used to enjoy country walking,but now find that I cannot very much without fatigue, which is a problem with nowhere to rest. It's a pain.

anyway thanks once again

Sandy.

Dear sandy

not taking things in is a very common problem. And so annoying. Yes i agree it is linked to inadequate sleep.

many of us also need breaks during the day. I called them stroke naps. They can be rather nice.

i never progressed until i got the sleep and naps that my brain required. 

things will improve.

colin

Hi Sandy,

Structured breathing helps - look up ‘4-7-8 Breathing’ on your computer.

I’ve load up a playlist of instrumental ballads and soothing music to listen to with my earphones on and ‘Weightless” (the original) starts the playlist! 

https://youtu.be/UfcAVejslrU

Good luck!

Rick

Hi Sandy. I listen to 'Calm sleep stories' on YouTube when I can't get to sleep, it's not very often now thankfully but used to happen regularly when I first had the stroke over 2 years ago. I used to listen to the Nordland Night Train read by Erik Braa and very often didn't hear the full story as  I'd gone off to sleep. There are quite a few to choose from and all are free on YouTube. You can look on Calm site and see if there are any you think you'd like then see if it's free on YouTube.

Hope this helps, your sleep pattern will improve it just takes times and maybe some type of distraction at bedtime. It will get easier dont worry.

Ann

Yes, I experienced this after my stroke five years ago. I would wake on the hour every hour. I think, psychologically, we are primed to think we will die in our sleep. Logically, you can die at any time of the day or night

Fear eases over time. Exercise in the day helps, but my routine is to put Classic fm on for several minutes before I put the bedside light out. If necessary, take Kalms night or a herbal sleeping tablet.

Hi  I am suffering with anxiety all the time it is awful I would like to know how to cope with it I think this lockdown is the main cause  we are stuck in all the time and have too much time to think about our illness. I am definitely worse as soon as it gets dark as well. I used to do yoga before the stroke and I try to meditate and that does help a bit.

Hello Sandy,

I found three things helped me to get on top of my anxiety and get me into a better sleep cycle:

1. Antidepressants. I'd never used or needed these before in my life but they do help to level out your thinking and any anxieties.

2. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy - this taught me to assess my own thinking and to stop being my own worst enemy.

3. Regular exercise - I walk several miles every other day or workout with weights.

I also limit napping to at most one per day and always for less than an hour. Drinking fluids regularly helps with fatigue.

Of all of these, exercise seems to have the greatest benefit. Your first stop should be your GP or stroke consultant.

It is still early days for you following your stroke, the first year to two years can be especially hard but everything does become easier in time.

Take care now,

Damian

Hello Norma, I've been reading your post, and feel so sad that you're experiencing the effects of anxiety ?.  Since my husband had a stroke in 2017, I have also experienced moments of worry and anxiety, so I have some idea of what that feels like.  My 38 years of teaching children with special needs was often very stressful, but never gave me anxiety in the way that I experienced since 2017.  It is a horrible situation and feels so overwhelming - I remember just standing in my kitchen early one morning, feeling as though I wasn't going to get through the next few minutes let alone a whole day!!  

I know that anxiety seems to go with the territory of stroke recovery, and it always saddens me when I hear that people are suffering.  The whole situation is worse at the moment, and I hate turning on the news, wondering what the next bad thing will be!  

Everyone develops their own techniques for over-coming their anxiety, whether it's music, watching the birds, exercise, cooking, knitting etc  I'm sure you've seen Colin's suggestion to smile ?, even if you don't feel like it, it's the most simple thing to do, it's free and it's available to you 24/7!!  

Sorry I've rambled on, but just want you to know that we're thinking of you - if you can manage it, just have a big smile and I'll have one for you as well - a sort of buy one, get one free (B.O.G.O.F!!!) You are a survivor  ?? xx

Hi Rick,

thank you for replying have got a lot to take in people have been nice enough to reply. what is making me more anxious is my partner has got a hospital appointment in London and has to go on tube which scares me thank you

Sandy 

Hi Ann,

thank you for replying I'll be looking on YouTube COVID does not help at all 

thank you Sandy 

Hi John,

thank you for your reply I will take any  advice I get  thanks again Sandy 

Hi Norma Jean,

thanks for replying, I am sure you are right about lockdown also the early evening blackness and fatigue does not help. When I figure it out I will let you know.

thanks again Sandy

Hi Damien,

thanks for the advice,yes I used to enjoy walking, but since my stroke I find it harder because of fatigue and my left leg is lazy

thanks again Sandy