Hemp craniotomy

hi after my partner had his stroke a couple of days later he suffered bleeding and swelling to the brain because of this he underwent a hemicraniotomy, he is currently waiting for a date to have Cranioplasty a new skull replaced. has anyone had this done and what was the recovery like. We are hoping this will make him more optimistic about the future 

Hi June, 

Thanks for your post. I'm sorry to hear of your partner’s stroke and ongoing issues. It sounds like a really difficult situation and you are understandably keen to learn more about his upcoming surgery.

We aren’t medically trained, so I can’t give you a definitive answer regarding recovery after a cranioplasty. Are you or your partner able to speak to his consultant or any of the ward staff about this? They will have access to his medical records and should be able to give you at least an informed opinion about what may happen after the surgery. You may also find it helpful to speak to the Brain and Spine Foundation, as they have medically qualified staff members, including a nurse with neurological experience. They will be able to talk through the surgery in more detail, although they won’t be able to give an individual prognosis for your partner:

Brain and Spine Foundation

Telephone: 0808 808 1000

I hope this helps as a starting point and that your partner is able to feel more positive about the future. Perhaps some of our other users have experience of this.

Please also bear in mind that if it would help to talk things through you (and your family) are welcome to call the Stroke Helpline. You might simply want someone to talk to, and that’s where they can help. The Stroke Helpline is open Monday, Thursday and Friday from 9.00am to 5.00pm, Tuesday and Wednesday from 8.00am to 6.00pm and Saturday from 10.00am to 1.00pm. The helpline number is 0303 30 33 100. You can also email them on helpline@stroke.org.uk.

Hope this is helpful!

Andrew