Hemonopia and driving

Hi there just looking for a bit of hope. I had a stroke in 2020, I have been left with left half of each eye vision missing, I have manage to get consultant and o T from driving mobility to say I qualify for exceptional circumstances, they have said I only get one chance though with the assessment. just wondered if anyone with Hemonopia has returned to driving through the exceptional cases? I have two young children and being able to get my license back would be amazing. Thank you

1 Like

Hi @Elle1 and welcome to the forum. I can’t help with your specific question as my vision issues were different. There was someone on here the other day who used the exceptional circumstances. Have a look at this post.

Wishing you the best of luck xx

Hi @Elle1. I can’t help as I only have experience of driving with full field of vision in one eye and patching my affected eye to prevent double vision so making it monocular vision. I do understand how important it can be though so I really wish you all the best and in finding a solution, Julia x

Hi juliaH Thank you for you for taking the time to reply to me I really appreciate it thanks x

2 Likes

Hi @Elle1 , welcome to the forum but sorry you’ve had a stroke. I don’t have any experience of hermonopia but did have my licence held for several months due to slight loss of peripheral vision that was picked up a few day after my stroke.

I wish you well with your recovery and hope you resolve your driving issue.

We are all happy to answer & share our own experiences to try and help.

Mark

2 Likes

Thank you, for your reply, did you manage to get your licence back with the visual field loss or did it get better if you don’t mind me asking?

Hi thank you for your reply, how do you find driving with the monocular vision? If you don’t mind me asking do you need to position yourself differently in the car? As it’s kind of similar to me although it’s half of each eye. Thank you

Hello, I had to have another test done after I left hospital 7 weeks later and it was clear. I think part of the problem was having the first test done so early after the stroke. I was still very dopey when doing the test and my reactions were slow so I think it was not such an accurate representation of the true state of my eyesight. These kind of “errors” can have quite a negative impact on patients.

Hello @Elle1. Don’t mind you asking at all, any thing to help. I had not driven for a year and patch my affected eye just for moving around so had got used to it. Obviously I lose the lateral peripheral vision on my patched side but whilst it is legal to drive monocularly no hint of double vision is allowed, hence the patch. I had to sign a declaration that I am aware only using one eye affects my ability to judge distance. I have really helpful blindspot monitors, and rear view/ birds eye cameras, lots of parking sensors. I took an assessment at the local neuro rehab hospital which is recognised by the DVLA. If you want any info please message me.
All the best, Julia x

1 Like

Oh wow, yes please, it’s it a specially adapted car or can you buy these accessories. Was you allowed to use this in a driving assessment. This sounds very hopeful thank you

Hi @Elle1. I lost my old car so this was a replacement. It isn’t specially adapted, I managed to get it second hand with very low mileage, less than a year old, and the spec just included these things but they really help. I didn’t look to buying one until after the assessment and sending the report to the DVLA, informing my insurance, but I did continue to have some dealings with the DVLA which was stressful, but ultimately OK. Above all else I needed to know I was considered safe.
Julia x

2 Likes

Thank you for this, how do you compensate for your blind spot do you position yourself differently? My worry is not being able to see some one walking or pulling out coming from my left side where my blind spot is. Obviously I can’t be continually scanning all the time, how do you cope with this? X

Hi @Elle1 . I have my head positioned centrally, otherwise it would throw the unaffected left eye which has full field of vision. I only have to position my head differently when the affected eye is not patched which I never do driving.
I am so used to the blind spot now, but do still get the occasional fright when something appears from that side unexpectedly, like it’s without warning.
It has made me a slower, more considered driver. I’m not overly hesitant but I take my time, check things at junctions more than I did before or is probably necessary.
Julia x

1 Like

Hi juliaH, that’s great thankyou I’m definitely going to take all of that on board if I ever pluck up the courage to
Get behind the wheel. Did you get to choose the nuero hospital or did DVLA request this at the moment I think they will send me to my local mobility centre Thank you x

Hi @Elle1. I was made aware of the facility which was at Walker gate neurorehab hospital in Newcastle, “drive mobility” at my last review appointment from the major trauma ward I was on. I self referred and got a cancellation. It was free of charge through the NHS.
They work out what you can manage, do appropriate vision/cognitive tests and provide a vehicle to try off road first and then assessment on road.
Hope that helps, Julia x

1 Like

JuliaH thank you for you help take care. X

1 Like

Hi ingo66, yes totally agree, I really didn’t know what was going on, not a clue I was shocked and dazed from the whole thing, take care x

Hi all, I started my journey on the forum asking if anyone had returned to driving after suffering hemonopia. Losing my licence has been a massive hit for me and my family. Four years on I still find life a bit tricky without being able to drive. I searched and search, but was unable to find anyone that has managed it, Visual field loss yes but not Hemonopia (affecting half of each eye) but a few days ago on the NI stroke cassociation news feed I found two people who had returned to driving which led me to a third on Facebook and maybe more that I would love to speak to if there’s anyone on here reading this.
I know returning to driving is not possible for everyone but I thought this might make people aware after suffering vision loss a return to driving through the exceptional circumstances there maybe hope to those who meet the DVLA criteria. It just gave me boost and something, to work towards while enjoying the here and now Best wishes x
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.mynewsdesk.com/uk/stroke-association/pressreleases/little-known-rule-offers-hope-of-driving-for-stroke-survivors-who-lose-peripheral-vision-3269049&ved=2ahUKEwiF3Y7EmLSCAxWVgv0HHaT_Dp8QFnoECA4QAQ&usg=AOvVaw138UIe2mIF7lPXoxdEjpKb

3 Likes