Hello new person here

Hello, 

I've just been discharged from hospital following a very mild stroke. I'm 53. 
I would like to hear from anybody who suffers from post stroke tingling, numbness and sometimes pain on the affected side? Is this normal? How do you cope? I feel like it's the start of another stroke but doesn't appear to be. But feels scary. 
Thank you.

1 Like

Welcome to our forum. It helps to remember that stroke is a brain injury and the brain governs all our human sensations. I had a big stroke five years ago. I still have lack of sensitivity in my left hand fingers and the sensation of having a stiff frozen shoulder even though the arm and shoulder are mobile. My affected left hand fingers feel more pain when hard edges dig into them.

I live with these oddities now. Early on, I had numb spots elsewhere, but my brain has dealt with these. I find exercising helps, but,in reality, none of us are the people we were before stroke hit us. However, we can, and do improve, albeit slowly.

Hello Tiger1,

Almost anything could be called normal with stroke but all of the things you mention are fairly common. Unless they are causing you significant ongoing physical distress. it's best to just ignore them.

It is still very much early days for you and these issues and your worries about them will slowly subside in time.

Take care now,

Damian

Thank you for your reply.

Hello Damian,

Thank you very much for your reply you have reassured me.

Tiger.

Hi. Tingling especially on the affected side is the nerves reconnecting. The OT I had suggested an elasticated bandage for my arm as that was where I noticed it most. It certainly helped me. So give it a go. As everyone else has said stroke is a brain injury/attack so there will be all sorts of different affects. I'm 2 years 2 months post stroke that affected/knocked out all my right side and I would say I'm still on the road to recovery. Good days and not so good days. Pain is also normal. This forum is great as everyone has experience as a survivor or carer so can share their experiences which definitely helps. Jackie

I suffered a mild stroke in March 2019. At the time I thought that would be it and I would be suffering the side effects for ever (I was only 42 with 2 young children). It's been slow and steady but I am back in work as a teacher - not taking on as many responsibilities as I used to but taking it steady and managing everything that comes my way. I remember all the tingles and strange feelings that went through my body. These changed and became more subtle over time but were probably still with me daily until around 6 months ago. I had a fab lady from the Stroke association, and a friend who is a go who tried to explain it to me. If you injure a part of your body that you can see it will bleed or hurt and you are aware it needs time to heal. You can't see your brain so forget that it now in a healing process. To do that it needs rest. All these little tingles, numbness, maybe forgetting words (was big with me), flashing lights in your eyes... is your brains way of saying okay, you've fine enough now, I need a rest. Rest is the most important thing. Rest and sleep. When I finally gave in the fight and started to rest my recovery kicked in. Listen to the tingles and mini signs. Your brain is trying to get your attention! Allow yourself to stop for at least half an hour. Be kind to yourself x

1 Like

Very true! 

Well said!  I echo every comment.  Glad to hear you are feeling much improved and in a better place.  

Thank you so much for your reply. It's good to know! 
I had a very mild stroke but even so these tingles etc catch you unawares. If I overdo it I get all wobbly!

Good to hear that you are back working. X 

Jackie,

Thank you for your reply and I wish you the very best. X

Good morning 

I am new on here . I had a TIA last Wednesday morning in front of my Year R class . Like you I am a teacher . 
Thankfully it only lasted seconds .  It's early days and everything you have written is what I'm currently experiencing. I feel very scared and frightened. Sleep is disturbed so I'm struggling to allow myself the time to rest and recover . It has not even been a week so I know it's too soon .
I am 47 . It would be great to get advice from you or anyone out there in these early days Post TIA . 
Thank you 

Dear Maria

welcome on board. amazing how many of us are teachers, musicians or accountants. 

stroking is usually short. An hour or two is typical. Then the recovery starts.

if you were formally diagnosed as TIA then thats very good news, it suggests that the damage is transient, so you will recover fully and quite soon.

do take things easy for a week or three. Ensure your sleep gets up to speed. Sleep is so important to us. Its a good idea to get every muscle in your body to move. Gentle but thorough exercise. Then try to relax. Use relaxation techniques, yoga is good. 
class R will have you back fit and well in no time

colin

Hi Maria - you have an extremely challenging, full-on job and you will need a lot of rest so that your brain can get on with the task of healing.  Resist the urge to return to work too quickly, even a TIA will need time to recover without having to think about the demands of school.  As Colin has said, you will recover but it's early days, make sure your SLT are aware of your current needs for rest, their support for you now, at this moment, will help your long-term recovery, don't worry about setting a target for return to work, you need to take this steadily so that you are fully fit by the time you begin your phased return.  Stay strong, very best wishes xx

Thank you Colin for your words . It's reassuring to hear from others I appreciate it . I will take your advice ! 

Hello NicABella21

Thank you for your words, it means a lot to hear from others who have experienced similar especially if in the same profession . 
I will not rush back , school has been extremely stressful these last few weeks , teaching in school and then at home filming lessons for my home children . It's been crazy . I will switch off from school .

Thank you ? 

Hello Maria. I had a TIA last October. I had already had a full stroke 3 years ago.  My TIA started with numbness around the mouth and tingling, numbness on my left hand up to my wrist.  Because of prior stroke, I knew immediately what was happening and rang 999.

I would say it lasted about 3/4 hrs the first day and came back on and off the 2nd day.  I was in A & E on the first day for nearly 6 hrs before being seen.  Didn't have any symptoms at all when I finally got to see a Dr. He sent me home stating I hadn't had a stroke and it was just a blip rather than a TIA.  The next day, I had a call from a stroke consultant who told me, in his opinion, I had had a TIA and I was to attend for an MRI scan the same day.

The scan revealed 2 small blood clots and a tiny bleed.  They changed my medication and said it was nothing to worry about - yeah, right!  I hope someone says that to them if they ever have one!

The only difference I have now is that my words are more jumbled up than they were previously.  I had problems with talking jibberish from 1st stroke which I never remedied.  Now, I say completely the wrong thing.  It's even more annoying that I know I've said the wrong thing and even more annoying still that people keep correcting me or trying to pre-empt (sp?) what I am trying to say!

You will definitely need to rest and you won't be back to normal within a few days. It may take a bit longer depending on the damage done.  Rest, rest and lots of healthy food and lots of water will help you on the way. x

Thank you for your reply ! 
you take care too 

I shall rest plenty and thanks for the tip on water. Wearing masks all day in school with hardly any liquid did not help me at all ! Take care 

Halloween there. Sorry to hear you had stroke so young, but rest and perseverance will make things better. I had a stroke last year and as I have had numbness again foot and tingling in toes Dr thinks had another mini one four weeks ago. Apparently the tingling is part of the process and one feels useless wondering when it will get better. I try to walk a mile each day info can in the hope this will ease. Good luck and perseverance. Paracetamol does help if you don't want to take stronger meds. Rita

Hi Jackie, I'm new but can see that not everyone gets the same symptoms do they?

It's really helpful to read other's experiences. Bert