Hello from a new membera

Had an infarct stroke on 5th April this year. Speech was coherent but words were jumbled up. Stroke was identified as infarct on the left side.Since being discharged from hospital have had a neck scan and the doctor awaits the results.Early days yet but I am very anxious to learn the outcome.perhaps impatient even.
Interested to learn of any similar experience from members. Many thanks.

2 Likes

Bore da @Bryan23, croeso. Did they tell you what kind of stroke you had? An infarct is the dead matter left from a stroke. I hope our forum provides some comfort in your way forward.

2 Likes

@Bryan23 welcome to the forum. I hope you find this forum helpful & supportive in your stroke journey.

Do you know which area of the brain was affected? Mine was an occipital & parietal lobe infarct caused by a dissected carotid artery.

Very early days for you yet. Listen to your body & rest when you need to.

Good luck on your recovery journey & I hope you get your test results soon.

2 Likes

Hello Rups, thanks for the reply. To give it it’s full title, it was an ‘acute infarct in the left frontal lobe of the vascular territory of the left MCA’. Dr thinks possibly caused by blood constriction in the neck, hence the scan. ECG was all fine when tested. Caused word ‘scrabble’ and problems with concentrating and sequencing however, lasting affects are thankfully very mild. Hoping to get the results of the scan asap then we’ll know the next course of action. Doing well so far thanks.

2 Likes

Hi, thanks for the reply. it was an acute infarct in the left frontal lobe of the vascular territory of the left MCA affecting word order, concentration and sequencing. Dr thinks caused by constriction in the neck artery, hence the scan - waiting on those results. ECG all fine but I’m going for a week-long ECG monitor at the end of May. Doing OK so far and effects seem to be mild. Hope you are doing well.

2 Likes

Hi - thanks for the warm welcome. Already getting so much support from this site and the Stroke Association pages.

2 Likes

Hi @Bryan23 and welcome to the forum. There are others on here with similar issues to yours in varying degrees, including myself. The key piece of advice here is lots of rest. Healing takes an awful lot out of you so eat well, exercise and sleep lots, give your body what it needs.

Fatigue is another to watch out for, that seems to be par for course with strokes, though you may not experience that or for as long as some

This should come back in time. The first 6mths after stroke are the most crucial for the brain re-establishing links and retraining the mind to get things back online. Give in to your short term concentration span, switch out as frequently as needed, it will increase and get back to normal.

I found myself often switching back and forth between hobbies and tasks throughout the day, could never settle for more that 15mins on any one task :roll_eyes: then I’d need a nap or go do something else. And there are lots of brain training apps out there to try which will help with those issues too. And lots of reading is another good one for that.

1 Like

Good to hear you’re doing well. Watch out for fatigue crerping up on you. Not everyone gets it but it is very common.

Hope you don’t have too long a wait for your test results. At least they are trying to find the cause so you can be treated appropriately.

2 Likes

@Bryan23 welcome to the group, as @Mahoney said early days yet. Maybe ask doctors to give you access to patient knows best. you can then see results, you probably won’t understand them but it gives you the tool to chase the gp or consultant secretary
good luck in your recovery
regards Chris

2 Likes

@Bryan23 I had left Thalamic infarct 10/2/23. No visible effects but lots of brain fog and like other members have mentioned the fatigue, thats what really surprised me so please rest and rest properly so your brain can recover, good luck with your recovery and yes this forum has been briiliant :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hi,
This is my first time writing on the forum. I had a stroke in January which sounds quite similar, my speech was very jumbled and for about a week afterwards the concentration required to speak was huge. My stroke was identified on the left side. I was a relatively fit and healthy 44 year old and was fortunate to be left with only mild symptoms which have eased over time. I’m still waiting for an echo scan, but everything else has come back ok. I’m just finishing my phased return to my job as a primary school teacher, and from next week will be back full time. The main symptom which lasted was the fatigue, but that is much better now. I’m not sure we’ll ever know why it happened, but I’m taking the pills and making sure I look after myself. Hope your recovery goes well.

1 Like

@Karen4 welcome to the forum. Sounds like you’re doing really well & great that you’ve been able to return to work.

Hope your return to full-time goes well.

Best wishes.

Ann x

1 Like

So many new massages with good wishes for a speedy recovery very welcome thanks

3 Likes