Hard to stop fear

@triciabaynes sorry to hear you’re finding things difficult at the minute. It could be because you’re coming up to your anniversary. It can be a strange time & can be emotional. Sometimes, if we’ve hit a plateau in our recovery this can impact our feelings too. You might feel like this is it forever. But that’s not the case. Many people have shown improvements can be made long after the stroke. It just takes longer.

If your feelings are having a big impact on you then you should talk to your GP. They can help you work through them.

Try arranging to do something nice on anniversary day, if possible, so you can take your mind of things.

Sending hugs :hugs::hugs:

Ann xxx

1 Like

Dear all ,
I have just read this very long conversation about fear which afflicts me continually at the moment. I made normal progress in the first 6 months and felt reasonably strong . Since then , 4 months ago , my walking has become weaker and pressure in the head and giddiness have increased and now show no sign of abating . The GP has no answer to this problem and as far as I can see there is no treatment that can put my head right . I go nowhere except my local cafe and shops and find visitors exhausting . Progress had completely stalled . How do I know if or when this debilitating condition will get better ? Am waiting for an appointment with a neurologist to try and get some answers . Perhaps a fellow sufferer can help ?
Gay

1 Like

@Gay i often get pressure in my head & suffer dizziness etc. I had it a lot for the first 6 - 8 months then it eased a bit then around 12 months it came back again. I’ve seen my stroke consultant who didn’t seem interested so went to GP who has referred me to ENT. I’m still awaiting that appointment & expect it to take months.

I was only saying to my husband yesterday that I can manage with my dodgy leg & poor walking but the dizziness etc really gets me down. I’m trying to find a way to cope with it as I am not convinced it will go…but you never know.

Maybe your GP could refer you to ENT too?

Sending hugs :hugs::hugs:

1 Like

Dear Mrs K ,
Thank you so much for your reply. Our condition seems to be one that not many others suffer from . I am hoping to see a neurologist about it, just for some explanation if nothing else . The condition has become pronounced in the last 4 months and shows no sign of abating . Maybe ENT has an answer . I’ll try anything . This is no quality of life !
Gay

2 Likes

I am the person who may have started this thread and have recently just been discharged from the hospital due to new balance problems. They did discover a new lucanar stroke in the tiny vessels but claim the location would not be causing this new vertigo that I have or strange head feeling. Interesting to hear that others have this as well. I’ll be keeping an eye on any updates from everyone.

1 Like

@Mbhope sorry to hear you’ve had another stroke. Good to hear you are home again although not good that they still don’t know what’s causing the vertigo.

There does seem to be a few of us with similar symptoms but none of us have any answers yet. Will keep trying & if i get any further will post an update.

Wishing you all the best xx

1 Like

As follow up to our last conversation I have now seen a neurologist . He arranged blood tests and ECG and an MRI within next two weeks . So action at last . My progress has not just stalled but become regression , with head pressure and weakness in the legs ever present . I think he suspects something else which doesn’t raise my spirits . At least this nice man inspires confidence and is taking immediate action . I try to keep hope in the forefront of my mind

2 Likes

My mother’s hand came back at 80-90% around 16 months after her stroke. The 6-month rule is silly. It’s just not simply true. Her walking came back in full force (like a normal person) at 9-10 months.

1 Like