Grab and Go Hospital Bag

I’ve been meaning to create this Topic for a while and my health scare this week has inspired me to post this topic/brain workout: Grab and Go Bag

Basically, I’m sure many can relate to being caught up in an emergency situation such as being rushed into Hospital (could be a situation such as snow, flooding incidents etc, too).

I’ve NEVER been organised ‘just in case’, and personally this has caused me extreme stress when Paramedics arrive :roll_eyes::smirk:

So, similar to the Word Games section … how about we each suggest 1 item to put in a ‘Grab and Go’ Hospital Bag. And then eventually this may provide a nice list for everyone, who just wants to have everything they need to hand if/when admitted to Hospital. Also, if you want, you could add a short sentence why the item you suggest might be of use. :thinking::slightly_smiling_face:

I’ll start with the obvious:

Keys :key:

2 Likes

Small amount of money

For the drinks / food you might need to buy when sat for hours & hours in A&E or in case you can’t eat the hospital food which where I live is yuck.

Hope youre foing ok Anne @ZX1 following your scare.

Ann x

2 Likes

Good one @Mrs5K :smirk::slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

Ps thankyou for asking; unfortunately lost use of my arms and legs almost :slightly_frowning_face: long story. Thank goodness I’d bought a Rollator last year. If it happens again will plunge into the war ground of our local hospital. Still not right, usual dizziness, speech issues. Seeing Neurologist end of month and he’s promised to do lots of tests … so fingers crossed. It did give me a scare though as I’ve had weakness in my extremities before but nothing like this. Sigh. Watching random films, including ninja based ones … would love to be able to fly :dove: like the ninjas in films … in bed instead but hey :hugs::hugs: keeping positive. Hope you’re well :sparkles:Anne :sparkles:

2 Likes

Phone and charger…

Lifeline and good for brain activity

4 Likes

Absolutely @TRFCANDY53Phone and Charger … essential. And always make sure it’s topped up if you’re on pay as you go. Our Hospital let’s you use their Wi-Fi… just ask. :hugs::iphone::call_me_hand:

I brought my IPhone and iPad into Hospital, inside a sealable food bag, for hygiene and to not bring any bugs home with you ugh!

Actually I pretty much had everything in sealable bags, as Nurses, for example, would come in and pick up items sometimes without gloves :scream: so bring a good stock of them. The PPE I mentioned above I ALWAYS had in sealable bags :face_with_monocle:

:sparkles:Anne :sparkles:

2 Likes

Oh no Anne @ZX1 that sounds horrible. Make sure you get yourself checked out if things don’t improve. Really hope your neurology appointment goes really well too & they can offer some help for you.

Enjoy your films. You never know you might be able to fly yet :blush:

Sending hugs :hugs::hugs:

Ann xx

2 Likes

Tx Ann @Mrs5K I appreciate that. XX

1 Like

When I was in hospital for a week, I found the food almost unpalatable, apart from the soup, so, as a result I didn’t eat much which meant I was weak from hunger a lot of the time. Fortunately, my partner brought me in a bag of supplies … however … and this is a bit naughty of me, I would pack a bottle of wine as to have a small glass with each meal, to help wash it down.

5 Likes

:relaxed::smirk::grin::+1: @Rups You know that there are cctv cameras in all Hospital rooms/wards now don’t you Rups? … :grin: only joking :thinking:

2 Likes

On the subject of meals and drinks, I would suggest having a pre written/typed list of any drink/food/allergies in your bag, whether you’re Vegetarian/Vegan etc

This will save a LOT of stress when the Nutritionist comes to see you, and it’s quicker for them too. Have a few copies in case they get ‘lost’ :thinking:

:star:Extra tip, bring a dark coloured wipe board marker (non permanent) in your bag … as when the Nurses wrote on the ‘info board’ above my bed, some of them had illegible writing! I got a friend to rewrite what was on my board tee hee :relaxed::smirk::smirk: :sparkles:Anne :sparkles:

2 Likes

Definitely need a few snacks in the bag :grin::grin:

Non food related maybe some clean underwear :blush:

1 Like

@ZX1 ann what the heck has happened have I missed something? I’m so sorry you’ve been back to hospital have they said why this has happened and why? Hope you’re ok.

This is a good thread. I would take my towel and pjs and clean knickers as I hate the hospital mesh things :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

@Loshy i’m with you all the way on your choices. Hospital provided stuff is horrid :rofl::rofl::rofl: although in an emergency better than nothing…just :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

A little funny story & to prove hospitals have always been rubbish at some things:

In 2009 hubby & I were in a serious car accident. Both of us whipped off to hospital in separate ambulances. So, I had my clothes cut off & was provided a hospital gown…the ones that cover next to nothing. So time passes & I’m ready to be discharged and they say off you go & hand me a bag with all my cut up clothes in.

I thought I was being quite reasonable by saying but I don’t have any clothes. The answer from the consultant “you can take our gown”. Then I said but I can’t get home our vehicle was written off at side of the road.

The helpful consultant said “get the bus”.

So picture the scene…I am battered & bruised, covered in paint & blood (i was hit on head by flying paint tin), i have a bag of cut up clothes & i’m meant to get a bus home wearing the hospital gown with all on show. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Thankfully my sister came to the rescue & I spared the local community the horrid sight :grin::grin::grin:

You have to chuckle.

4 Likes

Don’t forget the headphones (listening to stuff & blocking out chattering/bleeping/other extraneous noises when you’re trying to sleep!)

3 Likes

@Mrs5K is this about you and your husband? If it is it sound awful and I’m glad you’re here if you know what I mean. Sending hugs x

1 Like

@Loshy yes it is what happened to me & hubby. It wasn’t fun at the time. We are very glad to be here still. Think i’m fast using my 9 lives up :grin: xx

2 Likes

@Mrs5K, I realise that the accident must have been dreadful for you and your husband, and I am sorry that you experienced that, but you do paint a comical picture of the epilogue, despite the appalling behaviour of the consultant. :grin:

I hope so, because it might inspire them to loosen the regs :grin:

1 Like

I’m really sorry @Mrs5K that you and your husband were in a car accident but “I was hit on head by a flying paint tin” has got to be one of the funniest quotes seen on the forum! :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like