Getting more self-sufficient

Taking stock.
Just completed a whole day on my own looking after myself, it makes me feel cheered bu also saddened by how far I have fallen from the pre stroke capability, bu in the years to come I can only improve which is good. This time last year it could not have been considered an option so my lovely wife can go to her concert with her daughter :relaxed:, back tomorrow afternoon

6 Likes

@mrfrederickson, well done! that’s something that non SS would certainly not appreciate but it is a great achievement and I’m sure will be appreciated by your wife & daughter.

2 Likes

Mr F. This is a big step forward. She wouldn’t leave you alone without knowing you can manage.

1 Like

@mrfrederickson thats a massive achievement well done to you. Here’s to many more days where you can cause mischief on your own :grin:

1 Like

Yes and no . I still cannot step outside the house or travel on public transport on my own, worse than a child it’s so humiliating

1 Like

Well done it’s a big step the first if many the road to recovery is a long one be kind to yourself with kind regards des

1 Like

It’s a massive step forward you should feel a real sense of achievement. You should have invited us all ‘round :grinning:

1 Like

You’re doing very well, for the first year of my recovery, I was housebound, and had to make my world an inside world. I mainly saw the outside world from a window. However, I put that world aside and turned to other things, started indoor hobbies that I can turn to when having a poorly week.

1 Like

Good to hear your news Fredrickson Remembered when I first ventured out, bit of a wobble and blurred vision and hangover from hell. Wife was seriously wondering if she could buy a toddler restraining harness for a 72 year old. Almost two years on am now confident enough to cross busy country road still with blurred vision. Next challenge to get on a bus when I get my pass then the worlds my oyster.

1 Like

Evening @mrfrederickson. A new first. Well done. I am sure there will be more. It’s hard not to compare where you are compared to prestroke but like you are doing, you can see your progress. Keep going :blush: Julia x

Well done a great achievement. I was very anxious when I was first left on my own but even now when I am on my own I like to have my mobile phone within easy this gives me a sense of support.

Yes I too Ike my mobile to hand with friends and family checking on me throughout my period of independence :rofl:

Great work Mark its a big confidence boost when you achieve something new for the first time.

Confidence is huge in stroke recovery. Trying new things successfully helps to build that.
Ive been to the gym again today - 3rd time and its been my favourite time gwtting more confident. Even sat in the steam room for a little while

3 Likes

I do worry that without my primary carer I will not survive, certainty won’t leave my house for a long time nor ever walk the dog, will have to rely on my kids I suppose

1 Like

mrfrederickson. I too worry that without my wonderful husband there is no way I could cope and would end up in a care home. Sometimes I think I should be there now and let my poor husband get back to his normal life without having to worry about me all the time

Hi Apple
Your husband like my wife would not be happy if either of us ended in a care home, we must be very good at doing for ourselves and reduce our dependence upon others, we have this forum’s members for support and there is always the care line of things we’re to get bad.

I try a day on my own so only showering is beyond me and driving to the shops, every thing else is just very slow and difficult with one arm and very lonely.
Hopefully it will never get to that, but happy to help anyone who is worried

1 Like

@Apple i strongly suspect that your husband would rather have you home slightly broken than you be in a care home. He’d still worry about you…probably more as he wouldnt be able to see the mischief you might be making :grin:

Hang in there you’ll get there.

2 Likes

Absolutely well said Mrs5k

2 Likes