Getting back to work

I had a stroke 1 May 2018 at 45 years old. I am now fed up being at home.  I am married with 23 year old daughter.   I get about quite well.  My right hand side is weaker and I use a cane to get around.  I have some back pain but to be expected I guess.  I wondered if anyone had some advice on finding work and how to inform potential employers of my stroke and issues.

Good morning catlady

Good for you, trying to get back to employment.

Maybe some unpaid work could ease you back. 

when the stroke bit you, there was a period of stroking. A period under medical care then rehab. I am guessing you were deemed medically fit in May or June 2018.

So i would not present myself, to prospective employers, as a stroke survivor nor even mention the stroke, unless asked.

to put this in perspective, you will present yourself as a 45 years old mother of one, not an 18 year old single girl.

good luck and best wishes

colin

Hello Catlady,

It took four and a half years for me to find employment after having a stroke. For four of those years my CV included that I had had a stroke and had mobility issues, partial blindness and epilepsy. I removed all references to the stroke - you're under no legal obligation to reveal any disabilities or deficits. I then started getting interviews where I would say my awkward walking and bent arm was because of a stroke. I did secure a good job eventually so perseverance works.

While I was unemployed I was supported by Shaw Trust and Remploy, who would help with job searching and engage with prospective employers around reasonable adjustments. After being made redundant just before the Coronavirus crisis, I am being supported again by Remploy but the current jobs marketplace is particularly harsh. If you are unemployed, ask the job centre (in the UK)  if there is a scheme that can support people with disabilities or long term conditions. There is help out there.

I'll finish by saying that full time working is demanding after a stroke. I managed it but it was challenging - with hindsight some form of part-time return to work might have been more sensible.

Good luck and don't be put off by the current crisis. It won't last forever and patiently continuing to apply for jobs will work eventually.

Damian

Hi Catlady - there are lots of people/organisations out there that can help you find work, eg. how to identify your transferrable skills and how they can be used.

You might want to get in touch with your local jobcentre (if you're not already) and see how they can help. Their work coaches have a wealth of experience at helping people in your situation. They are experts on the Access to Work scheme, which provides extra support for people with a disability who need help to retain or start a job. 

I've added three links - one to more information on how they can help, one that shows how to contact your local jobcentre and one that outlines Access to Work.

https://www.gov.uk/looking-for-work-if-disabled 

https://find-your-nearest-jobcentre.dwp.gov.uk/search.php

https://www.gov.uk/access-to-work

Most local authorities have teams who help people get back into work, so you might want to search on their website. For example, ours is called 'Get Oldham Working'. Again, they'd help you identify your transferrable skills, update you on local opportunities and explain what training might be available. They would also help you draft a CV and advise on jobsearch. 

As far as telling prospective employers about your stroke, you don't have to as there's legislation to protect people in your/our position. When I was ready to go back to work after mine, I didn't mention it on my CV or application form. Once I'd got the job I did tell my employer but only because they asked why I was volunteering for the Stroke Association. 

Hope this helps and best wishes.

JSCAPM

Thank you for the advice, I will certainly give it some thought and try something.  I am medically fit.  My husband is a bit concerned but we have to sort something out!  I probably won't be to forthcoming about being a stroke survivor, I think you're right there about advertising myself as 45 not 18 (wish that were the case some days!)

Wow.  Thank you so much for your response.  I will definately look into those links.  I hadn't even considered going to my local authority but I I'll do so now.

Thank you again.  I will try to let you know how I get on.

Catlady

Thank you for your response.  I will definately be more proactive and thank you for responding to me.

catlady

You’re welcome Catlady.

I know that the other responses you had mentioned part-time working and volunteering, both of which are definitely worth looking into. I've been impressed by the variety of volunteering opportunities available and it can be a good way of getting back into paid employment. Again, either the Jobcentre or your local authority will be able to signpost you to what's out there (most likely a local team that coordinates opportunities, think ours is called Voluntary Action Oldham). 

There's a lot of help out there! 

JSCAPM

Hi,

I can confirm from experience that it's difficult (but not impossible) to get back to work. 
I was 25 when I had my stroke, and worked as a chartered accountant. After my stroke I lost my left side. I had 6 months of physio and my left side paralysis was pretty much gone, and I felt back to normal.
I then went back to work on a phased return and that's where the hard part started. Brain fog, fatigue and anxiety is now my biggest challenge, and 2 years later I'm now working in an "easier" role 3 days a week.

I find that b12 injections help with the fatigue, and I'm starting to accept that 3 days might be my limit.

All the best, Adam