Garpbentin medication

Hi everyone, I’ve had my garpbentin increased and I’m falling asleep in the day and feel quite lethargic.

The problem is the spinal lumbar and cervical stenosis it’s really floored me this past weekend. I’m not seeing neurosurgeon till January again. I’m feeling doctors are just giving me more medication as well as my stroke medication I take quite a cocktail of drugs.

Im wondering if anyone who is taking garpbentin what their dose is, and have they had any side effects? Thanks loraine

Hi Loraine
I’m on 300mg a day & have been for 2 months now . I’m being told it relaxes the muscles a great deal & supposedly calms my tremor down which over the past few weeks have seen a slight reduction in my tremor . I must confess have had no I’ll side effects from this dosage & like yourself feel as if I’m a walking pharmacy with the medication I take am/pm I personally think that having such side effects Lorraine & not seeing your hospital Dr’s till January next year I’d be inclined to either ask to speak to your hospital Dr alerting them to the side effects your having & if it equates to an earlier appointment . January is to far away to be waiting for next appointment regarding your medication …
Morning thoughts are with you Losy & I hope your able to sort out this dosage of Garpbentin medication
:+1:t6::sunglasses::+1:t6:

1 Like

@Jordan hi thanks for that. I was on 600mgs a day now they have upped it to 800mgs. So it’s knocking me off my feet. It might be just till I get used to it. I went from 300mgs up and up. But your right I should get in contact with my neurosurgeon and I will. Thanks again kindest regards Loraine :wink:

1 Like

@Loshy Hi Loraine, I don’t take gabapentin but wonder if its worth speaking to a pharmacist. They are often experts in meds side effects. Hopefully it will settle for you in time. I’d try & speak to whoever upped the dose for you too.
Hope you feel brighter soon. Take care xxx

1 Like

Thanks Ann @Mrs5K im fed up with all my medication and my carpal tunnel is still playing up. Left hand assessment and maybe operation on Sunday 14th august. But checking my right hand as I’m not getting pins and needles but numbness kind regards Loraine x

Hi Lorraine I’m sorry to hear the medication is knocking you for six, as the others have said, you should raise your concerns with your consultant, perhaps there’s another medication that suits you better.

Best wishes

1 Like

@Mahoney thanks for your advice I’m going to ask, kind regards, Loraine

I feel for you. Its horrid feeling like that all the time. Really hope they can sort your carpal tunnel for you. Every little bit of pain they can ease will help I’m sure. Sending hugs :hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:xxx

@Mrs5K im sick of pain Ann, I’m sleeping about 2 to 3 hours every other day. Thanks for your kind words and hug. X

1 Like

The jump from 300 to 800mg does seem a big hike Lorraine, especially with side effects, hopefully it’s helping ease the symptoms, though it can take a good few weeks to adjust. Perhaps they could have increased the dosage more slowly to allow your body to adjust easier, as they do with weaning off medication, but in reverse, if you get what I mean.

Hi @Loshy
I don’t have any advice but just wanted to send a hug as you have been so supportive of my issues and always come across as so strong and I don’t like to think of you in pain or so short of sleep. :hugs::hugs::hugs:

2 Likes

@Mahoney hi I was on 600mg I started 700mg Friday and 800mg yesterday I haven’t been on 300mg I started at 400mg at the very beginning and it did help but not enough to take my pains away, but thank you :blush:

Lorraine, It’s got to be so frustrating, being in constant pain is no fun at all, I hope they can prescribe you something that will help, big hugs :hugs:

1 Like

@DDMH thank you very much for your kind words, I’m glad I’ve helped you in a way too. I’m sleeping quite a lot but wake up with my hands in numbness and left one pins and needles, and in the day I sleep a few hours! Thanks for the hugs Loraine

@Mahoney thanks I’m getting lots of hugs tonight. Loraine

Hi Lorraine @Loshy, sorry to hear you are suffering with pain all the time. I don’t have any experience of garpbentin but it doesn’t sound right if it’s affecting you like that.
As others say I would get some advice from pharmacist or GP after explains how it is affecting you. Doesn’t seem like it’s helping much with the pain so wonder if there is an alternative?
Hope you get it sorted soon and start feeling better.
Another :hugs: from me.

1 Like

@Ingo66 thank you I’ll take that hug. I’m ringing doctors if no luck with them I’m ringing Newcastle. I’ve woke up feeling worse. 🥲

1 Like

Hi Loraine. Sending big hug’s. I do sympathise with you. I experienced horrible pain in my back. I was given cocodamol which did not suit me. I was changed to gabapentin but only a low dose,one hundred mg three times a day… I also use heat pads all the time. Would they help? Love Lilian xx

1 Like

@Loshy just wondered if there is any reason you can’t take paracetamol-based pain relief?

1 Like

@l_platt @DDMH thanks Lilian it’s not just my back it’s legs, arms, neck and feet. Paracetamol doesn’t help as I have nerve pains but thank you for suggestions sending hugs back. I can really feel the kind vibes and energy from all of you. I had a few tears this morning as you are all so kind and caring. Thank you everyone love Loraine x

1 Like