Gadding about

Yay congrats on your purchase. :partying_face::partying_face::partying_face: your posts make me smileā€¦I now have an image of you & your wife fighting over who gets the rollator whilst trekking around Asda (other supermarkets exist :rofl::rofl:).

1 Like

Bobbie, Good for you. Sure you wonā€™t regret it . Took me time, believing I would bounce back. 3 years on , FOR ME , not bounced yet . First wheelchair, disliked immensely, screamed to me I was now disabled. 2nd rollator off ebay, recently upgraded, to superior version! These OK, more independent, but over very SHORT distances. Scooter, big disappointment, thought it would give me freedom, (watching, too many car adverts, driving through forests & up gorgeous mountains, selling a dream, reality, stuck on M 5 in traffic jam. ) :joy: . Scooter, sensory overload, struggle, 1 hour max . This weekend, bit down. 3 YEARS ANIVERSARY. Good speaking David.

1 Like

Hi Dave3 whatā€™s the appropriate way to comment on your anniversary ? Ok, well done chum for hanging on in there. At my stroke group a lady had her 18th this week, initially she was confined to wheelchair lost speech, was driving instructor and special constable.Now our poster girl, like Jordan has Mini Cooper uses stick, still drop foot actively helps out and takes new kids on block under her wing, still has a speech impediment but communicates well. Should mention a 64 year old who had his 30 years ago He has his father and brother to thank for getting him up and walking, drives cycles but prefers buses .Is in charge of our veg garden. Think we battle uphill due to being smitten later in life. Yes having the odd bad day or week goes with the territory but we are bumbling along. Our rat visitors now number three all different sizes. Use our patio as short cut little monkeys no cats around but a red Kite often flies over on the look out. Yours Pds

1 Like

Good purchasing @Bobbi. If it helps you regain some confidence and ability it will be worth it. I too have a pantomime like scene in my head of you and the Mrs tussling in the supermarket. :joy: Hope it arrives soon and you manage to avoid a domestic, Julia x

1 Like

@Bobbi. Has your Rollator been delivered? Have you both hands available?

1 Like

@Geoffrey and anyone else who is interested.

Yes ! ! The rollator has landed. After wafting away the moths and carefully counting the pennies in my wallet I took a deep breath and decided to go for it. I ordered a pre-loved one from CareCo which cost about Ā£50 delivered. It arrived in a big box which when chopped up nearly filled the cardboard recycle bin.
At this point I must explain that our cardboard recycle bin is made of plastic, which is the way of modern technology and which I use but donā€™t understand. Weā€™ve probably saved the planet by this purchase alone. Isnā€™t recycling miraculous? I also must explain that I didnā€™t chop up the rollator or recycle it.

Well having got all that said I must exclaim that I do like it. I have made a few visits to the kitchen thanks to the ease with which I can get about. It has enabled scone making, fruit loaf baking and some bowls of tasty soup. I have been able to use it as a seat to rest during these activities which is definitely a boon. It also gives me access to a comfy chair, blocked up so I can get on and off it, positioned with a good view of the television, where I can frequently be spotted watching the box in ā€˜fast asleep modeā€™.

@Geoffrey you asked if I have both hands available. I will reply honestly, ā€˜just aboutā€™ sort of covers it. I have very limited movement in my right arm and hand but can do a good impression of holding on, on that side of things. Progress is very slow and steady, with much puffing, panting, groaning and an occasional halt to collect my wits, whatā€™s left of them, back together. I wonā€™t be entering for any Marathon competitions this year but Iā€™m pleased to say that I have been making a little progress around the house.
My Mrs, proud of my progress, shot a short video of me tottering about. Itā€™s an .mp4 but I donā€™t think those can be uploaded to display here. Just as well. So you will be spared the spectacle of me and the rotivator as I keep calling it, when Iā€™ve forgotten what its called. I do forget stuff.

Overall, I feel it was fifty quid well spent.
Incidentally, I recaptured the moths and they are now back sleeping safe in the cool of my wallet, none were harmed in this exercise.

4 Likes

@Bobbi. Thatā€™s most heartening to read. I tried one but my right hand hurt too much.

As to the .mp4, I am intrigued. Dare I ask you to let me have a look at it? [bad link deleted]

1 Like

I must admit there can be discomfort of both hand and foot on occasions, but it isnā€™t always like that, so I ease up if necessary, after all Iā€™m no masochist.

@Geoffrey If you PM me with your email addy Iā€™ll send a copy.
Your link asks me to set up an account which I donā€™t want to do.
I donā€™t know if the mp4 will tell you much apart from the fact I am a scruffy so and so, but Iā€™m quite happy to forward it.

@Geoffrey Copy of movie sent

18 years is a lot of struggle but what a result to be proud of , doctors told Andrew Marrs wife he would be in a wheel chair for life , but with good therapy and determination he is running in London , painting and hosting TV shows, still collateral from his arm and leg but 7 years to get back to an acceptable level, goes to show how varied recovery journey s can be

1 Like

This, I think, is progress.
Iā€™m now 10 months after the stroke, still very limited in many ways, but optimistic and striving to advance. Hilary just took this photo, labelled it ā€˜Silly Poseā€™

My second time out of the house in almost a year. Looking as tatty as ever but really pleased with myself. All this due to the efforts of a physio and an occupational therapist who have brought me on a very long way since they started with me recently about a month ago. Sadly their input will stop shortly. Thank you so much to them.
Iā€™ve still far to go but they have given me hope.

Best wishes to whoever reads this,

Keep on keepinā€™ on
:smiley: :+1:

7 Likes

@Bobbi that sure is progress. Amazing progress at that. I bet it felt great to be outside even in this dismal weather. And youā€™ve still got your hospital socks :rofl::rofl:

Itā€™s a shame the physio will stop soon. It has barely begun.

It wonā€™t be long and youā€™ll be escaping on your own whilst @HHilary back.is turned. :scream:

Look out world Bobbiā€™s on his way back. :blush:

3 Likes

Thought I was gazing at a Robin Williams look a like. Boy have you done well , remember your first posts moaning away Treat yourself to an Eccles cake from local bakery. Suppose your next post will be you polishing your Mini Cooper ?
Still suffering shock seeing you out of house Bright Eyed and Bushy tailed. Well done our chum. Paul

5 Likes

For any interested in the rollator you can see in the picture above, I bought it around six months ago and have used around the house since then.
I gained and improved my walking ability, gained strength and have reached the point where a physio and OT have encouraged me to use it outside. In the time I have been using it I also became able to walk with a stick, but the advantage of the rollator is that if I need or want to sit I am bringing a seat with me.
That seat has also proved useful to transport a cup of coffee or a sandwich if I have felt the need to raid the kitchen. We have our milk delivered and I have started to be the one who brings it in transported on the rollator and relieving Hilary of one small task in taking care of me.

When I left hospital after a two month stay I was not mobile and had little use of my right side. Another two months along, at home and this was still the case. I was despondent and imagined that is was how things were going to be.
I donā€™t remember how or exactly when but I did the proverbial pulling myself up by my boot straps.
It might have had something to do with discovering this forum. I had found somewhere I could say what I needed to say, also there were listening ears and voices with sympathy and encouragement.
It became important to try, come what may. This was so valuable.
I know that this space can be used by others to grow and work towards fulfillment. I am so happy to be a part of it.
It is also great to discover an appreciative audience for my strange sense of humour. :grinning:
Iā€™ve gained mobility, to a degree, but next I must get out and escape from being house-bound. Iā€™ll be working on that and eventually be returning to report on my progress.

I really appreciate the support and encouragement I have been given while going through all this and hope my experiences and this account might be useful to others.

Hereā€™s to the future. and

keep on keepinā€™ on
:smiley: :+1:

4 Likes

That is an inspiring photo! Thank you for sharing!

1 Like

Youā€™ll do it!! The difference between doing it and not doing it is attitude. And you have the right attitude!! :star_struck:Jeanne

1 Like

@Bobbi keep on going, get your GP to refer you for physio, your local health provider should do this. I have had 6 lots of physio, now having musculoskeletal therapy for my left shoulder, good so far

1 Like

After quite a few years I have been referred again to physio by the ambulance service after a telephone consultation following a fall. I didnā€™t know they could do that. I still need another hand if Iā€™m ever to use a Rollator.

1 Like

@Geoffrey hope you are ok after your fall. I didnā€™t realise the ambulance service could do that either but really hope the physio is productive for you.

1 Like