Gabapentin May Boost Functional Recovery After a Stroke - Neuroscience News

Anyone else had experience of gabapentim?

2 Likes

Thank for the info Lorraine, great detail, I am coming off amitriptyline after a month trying for nerve pain, done nothing for me hope gabapentim fares better, will update you all in due course.

Only been on it for a week noticeable reduction in pain levels just more sleepy .will give it a months trial them look to come off it and try gabapentim, more updates to follow thanks for taking the time to share your experiences.

10mgbefore bed at about 10pm

Hi,
I take 900mg three times a day and have done for several years. The doctor stated that for Gabapentin to have the best effect, then the maximum dose was recommended.
The difficulty with this, is that there is no way of saying whether it has had any effect recovery-wise because I don’t know whether I would have recovered any slower without it. I still don’t have use of my right hand and still don’t walk very well.

Thanks for you information as with all our stroke recovery it’s individual as to make it impossible to say if the medicines or spontaneous recovery is going to get us back to a better normal, brain repair is so slow and difficult to measure as to make predictions on recovery.

2 Likes

Thanks for this very interesting read. I had 2 strokes last year first one I recovered quite well. Second one in May has taken longer to recover, I can walk ok but get very tired. My left arm is still not great no strength and very painful. Doctor put me on gaberpentin to help with the pain 10mg 3 times a day. I can’t say they have helped with the pain but have noticed small improvement with my arm but it’s very slow. Was thinking of stopping them but after this article might just stick with them. Haven’t noticed any major side effects except tiredness don’t know if that’s strokes fatigue or meds.
Take care
Rich.

Very interesting. I will delve in further.

1 Like

I will check with my GP and swap the amiltryptapine for graba pentium as it is not deliver Ing pain relief in my left leg and foot.
Hope the restoration effects are a reality and it helps many of us
Been on the amiltryptapine for over a wee and no noticeable reduction in pain levels, paracetamol and codine are the combination that works for me.

1 Like

Hope it goes well for you, I’d be interested to hear how you get on, in regards to pain relief and any side effects with the higher dose. Good luck.
Rich.

Hi Loshy, I am on 300mg 3 times a day. I made a mistake in my original post I thought it was 10mg 3 times a day but just checked its 300mg. Which my doctor said was low dose. He perscibed then for pain in my upper arm, and I can’t say they are working, I don’t think they make me drowsy. I just feel tired most of the time any which is all part of the stroke I suppose. Good luck if you upped your dose.
Take care
Rich.

1 Like

My husband has taken Gabapentin for a couple of years due to disc problems in his back. The dose was 600mg 3 times a day. In hospital after his stroke this was reduced to 300mg 3 times a day for some reason. When he came home he had severe leg pain so we increased the dose back to 600mg 3 times a day and hope for improvement.

1 Like

Hi Rich nothing major just lasts a bit longer the pulse roller sports massage tool was a real revaluation as it was applied to the bad of my foot and neutralised my pain , use it to give my left arm a massage to telaxlnit this was found by my neuro physio bless her, hope you can use what I have mentioned to get pain relief.
Mark

1 Like

The pain relief noratripyline at 50 mg has given short term relief not all day free pain. The pulse roll is good short term cure.

Hope that helps