Futile

I did like making chutney and walking!! X

Well done Colin. One of the exercises in my weekly classes is to touch the floor from a seated position. I was thrilled the first time I did this.

Ha-ha, yes, I sometimes wish my brain damage might have turned me into some kind of unique savant, but at the moment I haven't found what that ability might be yet. My spelling improved for a short while after the stroke though, sadly, it went back to being as bad as before. 

Maybe you could find you are better with words, or that you could write for publication. Post stroke I have had one article published in 'your cat' magazine. In my previous life i did write a bit, but not about cats. A whole book no longer appeals, there is so much planning and thinking needed and travelling to libraries and locations.

Yes, thats exactly been my experience. I could touch the floor on the right but not the left. Then without me hardly noticing, i could do the left. And it seemed to free up the worst of the creaky left side.

Do you think i could now bake left handed cakes ??
very best wishes

colin

Well, I certainly have more time to write! I think my post stroke superpower has been my reawakened outlook on life. I expel less energy on negative things and making more time for little hobbies I normally would not have started. I've also become less judgemental and critical, seeing this as hollow and counterproductive. 

Hi Jane--Sorry I took so long to answer you. We were gone Sunday and Monday just got away from me.  You'll go walking again. A little bit at a time.  Time and perseverance work miracles.  How neat that you make chutney! Do you have a lot of different recipes? What do you put in yours?  I 've never made it.  I guess it requires a lot of chopping.   Could you use an electric blender on the "chop" setting?  I bet different chutneys make great gifts.  It's a bummer when you can't do the things you want, isn't it?  I had just bought a crochette book to make hats and 2 macramae Christmas tree kits (real cute, with little bells worked in).  Both arrived just  when I broke my wrist!!  I guesss I'll take up writing.  Typing is pretty slow though one-handed--but still doable.laugh  If I sound mentally "perky", it's because I'm almost 3 years post stroke. I wouldn't have been so ambitious a few months after.  Hope you have a good day!Love, Jeanneheart

Plum chutney was my favourite I had just bought a chrochrt book too and was making a scarf' I know you can learn to do it one handed but it seems too hard to me! Had a weepy day or two felt very sorry for myself! If I can get a reasonable level of activity and independence back it will be a huge help!

Jane, You are so right. Doing some things really helps.  And being around other people really helps.  A few months after my stroke I had my husband drive us to a Bible study class--talking to others made me feel "human" again.  there's a ukelele class at the senior center and we're going to go-just fo the people.  My husband will play and I'll sing along until my wrist is better.  I didn't know you could crochet one-handed. Thanks for telling me.  I'll look into it.  Plum chutney sounds really yummy.  A weepy day or two means you're normal!  I have found what helps me is funny stuff.  We watch funny TV shows and read funny books a lot since we went through all this.  There' nothing like a good laugh to make you feel better.  It stimulates the endorphines or something. laughlaugh Take care.heartJeanne

What is your stroke story Jeanne can you  be walk ? Did I lose the use of B both hands pre wrist fracture!! You can crochet one handed apparently I just can't get my head round it x

There are lots of videos on YouTube about crocheting with one hand. I do it with two and don't know how easy it will be!?

My husband has tried it! I can't quite get my head round it! Will persevere! I have a scarf to finish!! X

I had a stroke it will be 3 years this coming august 18.  I was paralysed my whole left side. Speech and swallowing affected for about 2 weeks.Was in rehab hospital for 3 weeks.They were great! Had physical and occupational therapy 3 times a day, and they used electrical stimuulation on affected hand in between. When I went home, I could walk a little with a walker-needed a tub transfer bench to bathe-needed supports around toilet.  My husband stayed with me during bath. To go to the toilet he would get me in there and seated, then leave me until ready for him to get me out. This went for about a month after coming home.  Gradually I could be left alone for bath and handle toilet by myself.Kept walker nearby. I did phys. & occup. therapy 2 times a week for 6 months. Would do leg, arm and hand exercises every day.  All very hard and tiring.  Moved from walker to cane after a few months.  Then left the cane and walked a little every day, adding more steps every couple of weeks. 600 steps, 630,and so on until I am where I am now--1 1/4 miles each day. And was playing ukelele and piano until I hurt my wrist. In the early months I had  lot of leg spasms at night and anxiety which made sleeping hard.  The nurses had told me about CBD oil, which helped  lot.  I was often depressed and saw a counselor every 2 weeks for a couple of months.  I am still healing and progressing and am thankful for all the many people (angels) who helped me.heart

Sounds like my journey a bit but still no arm and hand back! Can walk a few steps with quad am my husband there

What does your walking look like now jjesnne? Don't want to embarrass myself when my son gets married in a year !

See. You sound like where I was at one point, walking a few steps with the quad. You're on your way!!  Legs come back first because of being weight-bearing. I would say -and I'm no doctor-stimulate your hand and arm as much as you can-to wake up the nerve connection to your brain-(rubbing, tens [electrical stimulation]) Don't lose heart.  The brain can do amazing things rewiring itself.heart

People are surprised to hear I had a stroke.  I have no limp or anything.

Thank you for encouraging me

Thank you John Jeff! I have to get better I want my life back! My husband and sons have been so supportive  I get biter because I felt thst before this happened I was happy for the first time in 4 years after losing my younger brother then bam a stroke! X

I over think too which is probably why my blood pressure was sky high!! My arthritis is getting me down too! I've always CBeebies a high achiever so get very impatient! Every one on this forum are so supportive!! You all feel like friends! X