Food for thought

I am now 32 years post-stroke, so most people on here are stroke babies.

There are lots of videos online for shoelaces.

Shelves - I start by placing a bookcase under where I want the shelf, place books on top of bookcase to height of shelf, place shelf on books, mark for the fixings, drill holes, fix shelf, remove books and bookcase.

Most gardening I do sat on the ground where I am much more stable. I have a large collection of handtools. i have got through lots of trousers as i shuffle if i need to move.

Walking long distances is a problem, so i use a powerchair if i need to go any distance.

I enjoy driving so it was important to me to get back to it. unfortunately I got rear-ended twice last year.   

Dear Janet

you are a true marvel. And an inspiration to us babies.

i use a kneeler, with handles, to weed my 100 yards of garden. Maybe kneeling is not for you, but i get on well as i am near the ground, but not right on it. then i can use arms to stand up again. 

colin

Anne, don't worry about what you haven't done or don't think you can do, just remember that cake. Every small step is one towards the next step. It took me three weeks to remember how to tie a shoe lace. I have dropped things, smashed things and once sat on a meal. We all have a battle between desire to do, practicality and frustration.

I am five years in and still fighting to improve every day but, yes, I get lows too. My weak left hand frustrates me most of all. Rest between tasks is essential and patience is a must. You'll get there.

Very well said - would not be surprised if funding was “found” for this.  Saddens me so much more is not available for stroke survivors. 

Against my better judgement i watched kate carraway finding derek.

long covid is exactly the symptoms that i got from stroke. But its much more cool to have long covid, stroke is not cool.

i could be positive and suggest that the extra research for long covid will produce a cure for our SF.

but we know the answer to that one.

i feel so sorry for stroke survivors who had a stroke in 2020. It was bad enough in 2015, but at least i could buy after care. Thats all stopped. And no its not much help doing rehab online. 

colin

Hi Anne, I have enjoyed  reading your posts today. I suffered  a hemorrhagic stroke  4 years ago  (age 57) which resulted in left sided  paralysis. I have no movement  in my left arm or hand and like you couldn't  manage without  my amazing  husband  Bill, who helps me with most daily  tasks. I also  long to style  my hair and file my nails, he also manages the day to day  household  chores. I would  give anything to be able to  carry  out all of those things that I complained  so much about before  my stroke. 

I will definitely have a look at the book you recommended. Reading  was my favourite  hobby before  my stroke but  I now find it difficult  to  stay focused and concentrate  for very long, which makes reading  very difficult, I tend to stick to magazines.

Regards Sue 

Dear Sue

Thank you for you reply. My stroke was ischaemic  (right cerebral artery) and happened during the night 14 months ago (25/01/20). I didn't know anything about it until the morning, when I fell onto the floor while trying to get out of bed. My right leg was in plaster at the time, having fractured my ankle five weeks previously which required surgery. I thought the fall out of bed was due to this fact but Bill realised I'd had a stroke and called for an ambulance. The paramedics confirmed it was a stroke and I was taken to the nearest acute stroke hospital. I couldn't receive the clot busting drug because of not knowing the time of the stroke but at least I survived to tell the tale. I transferred to our local hospital stroke rehabilitation ward a couple of days later, where I remained for eight weeks, being discharged at the beginning of the first lockdown (26/03/20), still unable to walk despite lots of physio. I eventually received community physio round about June when lockdown began to ease slightly. I was downstairs living post discharge from hospital but the physios got me walking with a quad stick and wearing a splint on my weak left leg because of foot drop. I'm still using the quad stick but only walk indoors; I would say my gait is poor and walking is very laboured. I've not had any physio since last October, having been deemed to have plateaued! I'm currently investigating getting some physio privately, since I have to give myself some hope.

Another book I've read and which was recommended by another MSG user is "Had a Stroke? Now What?" by Tom Balchin, himself a stroke survivor. He founded 'Action for Rehabilitation From Neurological Injury' (ARNI). They have a team of neuro-instructors (they aren't physiotherapists) around the UK. He trained Andrew Marr following his stroke and he's writtten the Preface in the book. Another interesting book; I think I personally found the one I mentioned in my previous post a little easier to read for a layperson. I thought for paperbacks they were quite expensive, I suppose because they're medical texts. I wish I'd read them sooner after my stroke, the information they contain would have been very useful.

The weather today is lovely and if it remains so (not forecast to) I might be tempted to try a little walk in the garden. I can see Spring bulbs emerging through the neglect caused by my stroke and I long to be a bit closer to them. The terrain around my home is not great and my first attempt outside with my physio a few months ago didn't go too well so I decided to leave it a white until I grew a little stronger. In the meantime, I'm going to have a little walk up and down the sitting room.

With very best wishes for your continued recovery,

Anne xxx

Hi A. Anne. Ah. My method won't work then. Damn. 

Hi Anne

I suffered  a hemorrhagic stroke  in February  2017  and spent  5 months  in hospital,  the last  12 weeks  being in a rehabilitation unit.  I  walk with  a stick and either  an AFO  or an  fes machine.  I try to  do some exercise  on a daily  basis  and weather permitting, I also walk outside every day. Support  for stroke  survivors  in our area is non existent (Kent) and we have had to pay for private neuro physiotherapy (£19,000 so far).  I hope things are  better  where you are. 

I did have a couple  of physiotherapy  sessions with an ARNI therapist  but it didn't work for me. I found them to be more interested  in selling you something i.e. books, videos, equipment  etc. They  charge  less than a qualified  neuro physiotherapist  but personally  I didn't  like the  way they  work.

Good luck with your recovery. Keep up the good work. 

Regards Sue 

Hi  Janet

Thanks for the reply

It is comforting in a funny way to know that even at 5 years I am yet a stroke baby

I found a good physio you tube channel called

ORLANDO neurotherapy which I found quite encouraging. They didn't do shoelace but have much encouraging stuff especially for veterans.

I am aiming to get gardening this year, managed a fair bit last year mostly in pots. I m not so confident in my ability to get back up from a low position, and couldn't yet manage anything like a kneeling position that's too advanced for me

But a low chair will be possible and I will try that. I am advised that standing is a good therapy for those with hemiplegia, so I try as much as possible to do that as far as fatigue will allow

The better weather that I hope we'll get as spring progresses will help

Trying out a raised bed this year.

Best wishes

And thanks

Tony 

Hi Sue

Thanks for responding. We're about 12 miles east of Manchester and services in our neck of the woods aren't too bad I don't think. I've just had a belated 12-month follow-up with a nice lady at the Stroke Association and she's going to look into what's on offer for me locally. Although I feel a bit abandoned by the community physios, they have said I can re-refer myself in the future if I wish. The private neuro physios I finally decided to approach are going to contact me after Easter to arrange a date for an assessment to see if they feel they can help me. They've quoted me £75 per session and feel I've no option but to give it a go. There are some very good websites I've looked at, in particular Orlando Neurotherapy Centre run by Dr Tara Tobias. I'm very willing to put as much hard work and effort into my recovery as anyone but feel I need a professional at my side to ensure I'm doing things correctly.

Thank you for sharing your opinion of the ARNI instruction you had since I had considered it myself but some instinct led me away from it and after what you say, I'm pleased I didn't pursue it.

I do hope you continue to improve, especially with your arm. I manage to get dressed myself in the morning, apart from shoes and socks, but it doesn't really please me, since I know I'm doing it entirely with my unaffected arm and it's not good enough for me. However,  I'm pleased it saves my husband a job.

Best wishes,

Anne xxx

Dear Pamelai

It's still a good tip though for anyone with a conventional oven and excellent for drying out meringues, I would think.

Anne xxx

Just read your letter of 18 Mar, Shoe lacing problem was overcome by getting slip on shoes and later by finding zipped ones. I can now tie my laces again but it took all of three years before that could happen.

On my daily walks I carry a small twig from the garden and just twist it around my fingers and try to break it. Being valueless, if I drop it I can leave it where it fell! I also whistle as a tongue exercise. I find that continuing to exercise weak parts is very important, so never miss an opportunity.
Deigh

Hi Tony Good luck with your gardening. I was a full time gardener , & after being struck found it very hard work, don’t have the physical problems lots of you have & im in awe how some of you bounce back. My problem is permanent loss (? here’s hoping🙏) of periferal vision on left side from both eyes, not as bad as it sounds & can cope & enough vision to enjoy reading do chores & walks. Find motivating myself difficult & getting the balance right between physical & mental activities . Managed to grow runner beans last years & some veg. Moving in spring & like you will be making raised beds & using large pots to grow veg.Blessed with Brilliant Wife who’s keen on gardening & ex-PE teacher so keeps me on my toes. Hope your soil is better than here , free draining greensand , has its advantages but frustrating! Must remember the three A’s Accept adapt& adjust. May 2022 be productive in every aspect Pds