Flying after sttroke

Hello all, after my stroke, I haven’t had an operation so I still live with the blood clot in my brain. The thing is I need to fly home and I am concerned if the cabin pressure has any effect on the brain. Has any of you flown after stroke How soon after and how did you feel? My GP told me I need to tell the flight company about it and warn them but I am afraid they won’t let me fly if they know my state.I would appreciate any advice on the matter Thank you.

Hi Monika @Monika sorry this has happened to you but welcome to our forum.

I have flown but not until I was a year past my stroke date. Sorry I’m not much help. I’m sure someone might be able to answer your question on here. Just saying Hello kind wishes Loraine

Hi Monika, welcome to our forum. I waited a year after my stroke 6 years ago before I went abroad but that was my choice, waited until I felt confident to be away from home. I was told to wait 6 months by my consultant at the hospital. Sorry I don’t have any definitive advice, I’m sure one of our contributors will be able to offer some useful advice.

Regards Sue

@Monika welcome to the forum but sorry you’ve had a stroke.

I flew 5 months after my stroke and didn’t have any problems. I had a clot based stroke & was put on clopidogrel. Are you on medication to disperse the clot?

I mentioned my stroke to the holiday company & they told me as long as I hadn’t been told not to fly then I was ok to go. I did get a fit to fly letter from my GP though just in case of any issues.

I think most airlines won’t allow you to fly for 28 days but they all have different rules so you’d need to check with your airline.

I was just advised to make sure I kept my feet and legs moving to reduce risk of further clots. I found the aircraft noise difficult so take ear plugs but had no issues with cabin pressure.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes.

Ann xx

1 Like

I was given the advice to wait for a year for short haul and 2 years for any long haul (4 hours +)

Hi - I had my stroke when on holiday in NewYork I flew after 3 weeks in hospital and was unable to move my right arm or leg so I was seat bound …I was told as I was taking warfarin it was safe to fly
I arrived back In the uk and was admitted into hospital straight from the flight by ambulance. So it was a very scary time and a very long flight home! I was 53 at the time and that was 5 years ago so hopefully that helps.