First TIA

Hi

2 days ago my Dad had a TIA for the first time, he was taken to hospital but was sent home after being given some liquid aspirin as the CT scanner was broken. He then had another yesterday morning. He was eventually scanned yesterday and this confirmed the TIA and he was promptly started on rivaroxaban.

He has made fab progress in a short space of time but has been given little information about follow up care other than he'll receive an appointment with the consultant in around 6 week's time. 

His memory and recall are very good but he is a little confused around certain tasks and is cold and tired all the time. The literature says exercise is important - he is very active anyway but surely plenty of rest in these early days is just as important? I think my Mum is pushing him too much already!

Any advice around these early days would be gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Rob. 

Hi Rob

I'm sorry to hear about your dad's recent TIA's - must be a worrying time for you all.

I'm glad he has made great progress, but what a shame he experienced another TIA yesterday! Fatigue is very common after stroke or TIA, so it is important that your dad has as much rest as his body needs. You can read more about fatigue in our Fatigue section within Advice and information - https://mystrokeguide.com/advice-and-information/physical/fatigue

You have lots of unanswered questions Rob and I think the best thing to do right now would be to contact our helpline, who can provide you with as much support and information as possible.

The Stroke Helpline is open Monday, Thursday and Friday from 9.00am to 5.00pm, Tuesday and Wednesday from 8.00am to 6.00pm and Saturday from 10.00am to 1.00pm. The helpline number is 0303 30 33 100. Or you could email on info@stroke.org.uk.

I hope this helps Rob,

Vicki